Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Canon 500d Raw files on Photoshop CS3

• 30-11-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

There was a recent thread about having problems opening Raw files but it was a different breed of a problem to mine.

I mentioned in that thread that CS3 works fine for my Canon 400d Raw files but when I took some pics on a friends 500d and tried opening them I can't. The codec needs updating but the problem now is I can't find the right update. I did a few googles and any time I seem to be about to hit the nail on the head I end up at square one.
    It seems the adobe website doesn't have the update anymore since they just have the update for CS4, this doesn't work on older versions.

Does anyone have this camera and successfully open it's Raw files in CS3, if so could you help in enlightening me as to how I can update it once and for all (for mac and/or PC).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

You can download the latest Codec direct from Canon's support site http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0033279.asp

If you want to do a quick check to see if you are able to read the files, download a copy of Picasa 3 from google which is free. I use picasa to do a quick preview of everything I shoot, I then select what I want to keep and only then import them into CS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It's possible that CS3 can't deal with the files. You will have to convert them to Adobe's version of RAW (DNG) files first. Adobe do a free converter here: http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

DK32 wrote: »
    You can download the latest Codec direct from Canon's support site http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0033279.asp

If you want to do a quick check to see if you are able to read the files, download a copy of Picasa 3 from google which is free. I use picasa to do a quick preview of everything I shoot, I then select what I want to keep and only then import them into CS4.

Being able to read a RAW file in Picasa does not mean CS3 will be able to read it. Likewise having the latest codec from Canon has no effect on CS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I can see the thumbnails on the Mac but they won't open to CS3, and I can view the thumbnails with an image viewer I got with my 400D, but that editing software doesn't compare with what you can do with CS3.

I can see the thumbnails on the Mac but they won't open to CS3, and I can view the thumbnails with an image viewer I got with my 400D, but that editing software doesn't compare with what you can do with CS3.

That's what I'm saying ;) You have the proper codec but that has no effect on CS3. It's Adobe's way of "encouraging" people to upgrade. Converting all Raw to DNG will solve it and future proof them at the same time. There is no loss of quality or RAW usability in the conversion.

• Advertisement

Valentia wrote: »
    That's what I'm saying ;) You have the proper codec but that has no effect on CS3. It's Adobe's way of "encouraging" people to upgrade. Converting all Raw to DNG will solve it and future proof them at the same time. There is no loss of quality or RAW usability in the conversion.

Cheers Velentia, DNG converter worked a treat.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Valentia wrote: »
    Converting all Raw to DNG will solve it and future proof them at the same time. There is no loss of quality or RAW usability in the conversion.

This is where I'm still a bit lost.
    Should you batch convert all your raw to DNG and then do your bits and pieces in CS3?
    Is this done in the canon software or in CS3?

This is where I'm still a bit lost.
    Should you batch convert all your raw to DNG and then do your bits and pieces in CS3?
    Is this done in the canon software or in CS3?

I hadn't read up on it beforehand and I downloaded the converter and installed/opened it, it's really easy to use. It asks to select a folder or Raw file - I selected a folder and converted it. It keeps the regular CR2 files and generates a new folder with DNG files. I just deleted the CR2 since they were useless to me. the DNG files opened in CS3 and let me do everything I could do with a normal Raw file.

Advertisement