Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Real" Football Fan (Mod Note: #198, #237 and OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'm not buying the cost argument

I'm a united fan and a season ticket holder. I'm going to the game against Birmingham on the 9th January in St. Andrews.

Total cost
    Return Flight: €40
    Ticket: £33.70 on general sale through their website

add in taxi fares and you've still change out of €100...I'd spend more on a Saturday night if I went out with the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not once have I been to St. James' to see a Newcastle game but I am as dedicated a fan as any season ticket holder.

I buy the jersey, I follow any developments on and off the pitch, I watch them on TV/Internet when I can.

I dare anybody to tell me that I'm not a fan because I've not stepped foot in the stadium.

As a matter of interest do you feel you have a connection with the club?
    IMO, a real fan is someone who will go out of their way to go to a game, e.g skipping parties, going out etc. If you're genuinely hurt when the team you support lose, or draw a game that they would have been expected to win, you're a real supporter.

+1 Of one the most hurtful things to happen to me was Shels losing out of promotion by 1 minute last season, in tears after the match like a good few other Reds.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    only took you 9 posts to essentially call us frauds. your slipping

:confused::confused::confused: Can't we just be friends Jazzy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea fan since I was 6 (thanks to my older cousin supporting them), so that's 15 years in counting.

I go to as many Chelsea games as I can get to, and this season has been my most prolific yet (been to: Hull (h), Sunderland (a), Fulham (a), Liverpool (h), Blackburn (h), Manchester United (h); going to: Portsmouth (h), West Ham (a), Hull (a), Sunderland (h) and any other ones I can get to!!!)

But in years past, work committments, familial committments, financial constraints and so on prevented me from going to matches, but I still poured my heart and my soul into following The Chels!!!

It was about a year ago, I was still unable to get over to games as much, and a friend of mine said to me: ''Ha, you're not a proper fan, you don't go to live games.''

That. Hurt. That really, really hurt. This was also from a guy who goes to maybe one HOME game per season to support his side, and he was on his high horse at me?!

So as soon as I had my situations sorted, everything kinda slotted together during the summer, I was finally able to resume my attendance of matches.

But I do not believe that rubbish, that to be a ''proper'' fan you have to go and see them playing live. I know lads who would die for Man Utd/Liverpool/Celtic/Arsenal etc. but simply cannot afford it/leave the wife and kids/get off work etc. to go and see games, yet they feel passion and love for their team. I think that a true fan is someone who loves their team, through thick and thin, no matter where they may be and no matter whether they can get to matches.

Love and passion are all that really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

What about someone who was born in Baltimore in the late seventies and was a Colts fan but has never seen them because they moved to Indianapolis in 1984?

Or a Raiders fan who never got to see them because they moved to Oakland from Los Angeles?

Talking out of your arse!

Not a fan, how can you be a Fan(atic) if you have never bothered your arse to go see a game! Your fictional baltimorian is in his late 20's early 30's by now, can he not go to Washington or Philly to see them?

Why cant he move to Indianapolis, thats what a fan(atic) would do!

Team Sport is about getting off your arse and getting involved in a team by playing, volunteering or watching them live, not by buying a replica each year and watching them on the tele!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

A real fan is someone who brings an Irish flag to a premier league game and boos Stephen Ireland.

and wears a gaa top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iago wrote: »

I'm a united fan and a season ticket holder. I'm going to the game against Birmingham on the 9th January in St. Andrews.

Total cost

add in taxi fares and you've still change out of €100...I'd spend more on a Saturday night if I went out with the lads.

it depends where your based in the country I think

its easier and alot cheaper if you can use Dublin airport

I have to use shannon which have reduced flights to manchester and even if get flights to birmingham or liverpool its still considerable dearer and very hard to find flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not a fan, how can you be a Fan(atic) if you have never bothered your arse to go see a game! Your fictional baltimorian is in his late 20's early 30's by now, can he not go to Washington or Philly to see them?

Why cant he move to Indianapolis, thats what a fan(atic) would do!

Team Sport is about getting off your arse and getting involved in a team by playing, volunteering or watching them live, not by buying a replica each year and watching them on the tele!

Will you stop talking out of your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Total cost

I earn about 400 euro a month. Does my cost argument make more sense to you now? I would never spend anywhere near 100 euro on a night out, by the way

Morzadec wrote: »
    I earn about 400 euro a month. Does my cost argument make more sense to you now? I would never spend anywhere near 100 euro on a night out, by the way

no not really. I've been going to United games since I was a kid, if I could afford to do it when I was on IR£1.50 an hour part-time as a teenager then so could you. Maybe only 1 or 2 games a year, but certainly doable if you really wanted it.

btw I'm not having a dig at anyone, nor am I suggesting that someone has to go to games to be a "real" fan. all I'm saying is that if someone wants to go to a game badly enough then they can do so by making the sacrifices required.

The night out example was a bad comparison to draw tbh

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    it depends where your based in the country I think

its easier and alot cheaper if you can use Dublin airport

I have to use shannon which have reduced flights to manchester and even if get flights to birmingham or liverpool its still considerable dearer and very hard to find flights

actually this is probably a fair point, not insurmountable by any means but the more expensive it s then the harder it is to justify.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    and wears a gaa top

I've seen that a few times alright. Cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

I believe a real fan does have to go to games. Just my own opinion, completely accept those that are quite content to watch on tv, etc. I just think you can't beat the buzz of being in the stadium when you get a last minute winner, or the wrong end of a bad decision, or the walk in and out of the ground, etc. In saying that, as a Drogheda United fan, if i don't go to the games then I'd never get to see them! While a premier league fan can watch almost every game their team plays without going to them.

Each to their own I suppose, but going to games regularly does add a bit to watching from afar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Whether you are a fan of football, frisbee or Father Ted is up to you and you alone to determine.

This idea of the "real football fan" is simply a puerile attempt by some fans to try and make out that they are in some way better. I suppose they get some kick out of it but it strikes me as a major inferiority complex. "I must prove I am more of a fan". I find it quite sad and desperate really. A bit like those people you sometimes meet who claim to be real fans of a certain band because they have all the CDs, have been to X amount of concerts etc. It's all bullsh*t.

I am a fan of football because I enjoy the sport. No one should feel the need to have to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

no not really. I've been going to United games since I was a kid, if I could afford to do it when I was on IR£1.50 an hour part-time as a teenager then so could you. Maybe only 1 or 2 games a year, but certainly doable if you really wanted it.

btw I'm not having a dig at anyone, nor am I suggesting that someone has to go to games to be a "real" fan. all I'm saying is that if someone wants to go to a game badly enough then they can do so by making the sacrifices required.

The night out example was a bad comparison to draw tbh

Yeah fair enough. If I really really wanted to see Liverpool play I could've done it by now. My budget dictates that if I was to go see Liverpool play a couple of times then I wouldn't have any other holiday which is something that I'm not prepared to do. But you're right if I wanted it badly enough I could've gone. In fairness I thought it was a lot more expensive than it might be, if I could do it for <100e it would be affordable now and again.
    Whether you are a fan of football, frisbee or Father Ted is up to you and you alone to determine.

This idea of the "real football fan" is simply a puerile attempt by some fans to try and make out that they are in some way better. I suppose they get some kick out of it but it strikes me as a major inferiority complex. "I must prove I am more of a fan". I find it quite sad and desperate really. A bit like those people you sometimes meet who claim to be real fans of a certain band because they have all the CDs, have been to X amount of concerts etc. It's all bullsh*t.

I am a fan of football because I enjoy the sport. No one should feel the need to have to justify it.

Agreed, I think you know yourself if you're a 'real' fan, no one's supporting a certain team just to be cool or to fit in. I'm a fan of Liverpool but I'm not a diehard fan or a 'fanatic' as another poster was saying. If that means I'm not a 'real' fan than fair enough I don't really care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

If that means I'm not a 'real' fan than fair enough I don't really care

'Real' is probably the wrong word anyway. We're all fans and we all exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A real fan is someone who brings an Irish flag to a premier league game

Or people who tar our national flag:
    1404q.jpg

Aren't Spurs and Chelsea huge rivals? :rolleyes:

And sure for the craic some of the even go the extra mile abroad:

30529493974cde1a1046.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

That whole 'you don't have to go to games as long as you feel the emotions' line is really vomit inducing. Of course you have to go to most of the games, thats what being a fan actually is and always has been. Did Sky TV create a new meaning for the word or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you have to ask what a real fan is, chances are the answer is "Not You".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When i was small, up to the age of 10, by dad tried pushing me onto supporting Liverpool, i went to a couple of games with family friends etc but it never felt right.
    In the mid 80's i went to a Wednesday night game at Old Trafford with my Dad & Grandad, it was against QPR, who my Grandad played for just before the war, i felt at home at OT.
    So i started supporting United from that moment, not a glory hunter at all, we were winning fcuk all.

From the start of Season 88/89 to the end of 91/92 i went to every home and away game (apart from European, still did 3 of those though), after that i had my first kid and visits to OT went down to 5/6 times a year till i finally stopped about 8 years ago, mainly due to the cost.

So yeah, i class myself as a real fan, i lived an 80 minute drive from OT and was there in the crap years, before all the Premiership wins

scudzilla wrote: »
    When i was small, up to the age of 10, by dad tried pushing me onto supporting Liverpool, i went to a couple of games with family friends etc but it never felt right.
    In the mid 80's i went to a Wednesday night game at Old Trafford with my Dad & Grandad, it was against QPR, who my Grandad played for just before the war, i felt at home at OT.
    So i started supporting United from that moment, not a glory hunter at all, we were winning fcuk all.

From the start of Season 88/89 to the end of 91/92 i went to every home and away game (apart from European, still did 3 of those though), after that i had my first kid and visits to OT went down to 5/6 times a year till i finally stopped about 8 years ago, mainly due to the cost.

So yeah, i class myself as a real fan, i lived an 80 minute drive from OT and was there in the crap years, before all the Premiership wins

I was impressed at first, i thought you were about to declare your undieing love for QPR:D

I know not many people on here know this, but there was football before the Premiership. Man United did actually have quite a bit of success before Sky came along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I've seen that a few times alright. Cringe.

Only thing worse is a soccer jersey at a GAA match. F*ck off like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I was impressed at first, i thought you were about to declare your undieing love for QPR:D

I know not many people on here know this, but there was football before the Premiership. Man United did actually have quite a bit of success before Sky came along.

Not in the 80's when i started following them, a couple of cups and that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

DSB wrote: »
    That whole 'you don't have to go to games as long as you feel the emotions' line is really vomit inducing. Of course you have to go to most of the games, thats what being a fan actually is and always has been. Did Sky TV create a new meaning for the word or something?

so i dont go over to liverpool week after week cos i cant afford it, so i'm not a real fan. Damn and here i was gettin all bothered cos the club is in disarray. Man its some relief bein able to stop thinking about them and to stop supporting them that i'm not a real fan.

If the whole world thought lik you thought i shudder to think the level of football being played worldwide cos teams wouldn't have the money to attract the best players coaches etc and to develop these skills some people are just born with. Oh and only big cities with massive populations would be successful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's funny, I'd say there's Mancs who baulk at non English Man. United fans.

I personally support Lyon and haven't got to see them live yet however I've seen Barca and Real Madrid.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's funny, I'd say there's Mancs who baulk at non English Man. United fans.

There's plenty.

But foreign fans are important to big clubs financially. Though, as said, Irish supporters do have a tendency to think of themselves as almost being English and somehow unlike , say, supporters from Malaysia or China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I have a feeling that I may not be a 'real' football fan.

I support Liverpool but...

1) I've never been over for a game.
    2) I rarely watch a full game except for the midweek Campions League games.
    3) I'll be pissed off if we lose and happy when we win but I won't let it dictate my mood/my life for too long.
    4) I have friends that are United fans and can talk to them about football without ending up arguing or insulting them.
    5) I have no real connection to Liverpool and my choice of them was pretty much arbitrary.

For many people I'm sure these 5 points would preclude me from being temed a 'real' football fan. Fair enough, because if they do then I would probably rather not be classed as one.

For the first point, I've never been over to a game because, to be quite honest I've never been able to afford to. I'm 22, just out of college, so the only times I've been able to save up any sort of decent amount of money is the last 4 summers. And to be quite honest I'd rather spend this money on travelling the world/seeing new places/meeting different people, rather than blowing most of it on going to a Liverpool match.

For the second point, I have to work to survive and unfortunately the only shifts I can get are on the weekend. I work Sunday and am doing a TEFL course on Saturday's so I can earn some money and travel the world. The practical concern of earning money/getting a qualification so I can earn money overrides my love for LFC unfortunately.

For the third point, I don't see football as life and death, and I don't see the point in it effecting your life or your happiness to too great of an extent.

For the fourth point, see above, football shouldn't effect the relationships in your life.

For the fifth point, there's no real team for me to support where I live, but supporting a team makes watching football more fun/interesting and the EPL is the most accessible and talked about league in Ireland so I was always going to pick a team from here. I've supported them for 15 years now so it's not like I don't know anything about the club and its history.

So I may not be a 'real' football fan, but anyone who is is either someone who has a lot of time/money on their hands or places football as the number one priority in their life, when lets face it there are more important things.

Im sorry but thats bad. I know ya say your busy and stuff....but still.

stovelid wrote: »
    There's plenty.

But foreign fans are important to big clubs financially. Though, as said, Irish supporters do have a tendency to think of themselves as almost being English and somehow unlike , say, supporters from Malaysia or China.

Yep, always irked me Irish fans allegiences and feelings to English football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, always irked me Irish fans allegiences and feelings to English football.

Why?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why?

Made me laugh when alot of my friends that support English clubs, would boo their national team.
    The style of football, amongst other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not in the 80's when i started following them, a couple of cups and that was it.

So seven First Division titles, six FA Cup wins and a European Cup win don't count then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

As a matter of interest do you feel you have a connection with the club?

I do feel like I have a connection with the club.

I've been a Newcastle fan from the dizzying heights to the heartbreaking lows.

You've only really to look at my posts in the Newcastle thread to see how passionate I am about my club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I would classify myself as a diehard Evertonian, I was bred that way and the city of Liverpool is like my second home. For a lot of my younger years I wouldn't have had a clue about the League of Ireland. However, once I reached 10 or 11 I started going to the odd Rovers game, a move away from Dublin didnt exactly help me fufill a commitment to them so I got submerged deeper into a love affair with The Toffees.

When I reached 15 or 16 I was making a two bus trip about a dozen times a season to Tolka to see Rovers play, despite not going to school in close proximity to my home either so I was putting through extreme effort to watch LOI football but I loved it. Finally when Rovers moved to Tallaght I was able to snap up a season ticket and I haven't missed a home game there yet.

I still follow Everton and will no matter what but it's just like having two albatrosses on my shoulder instead of one. Unfortunately the majority of kids are bred into following the Premier League instead of the LOI but I do feel that once people begin to come of age there should be nothing holding them back from seeking a sense of identity and community in a football team as well. For whatever reason though this doesn't seem to happen, partly it's down to the FAI but the level of apathy towards the LOI is saddening. For me, nothing can compare to the atmosphere of live football in the singing section of a crowd and the sense of togetherness and belonging is unparallelled by watching Super Sunday.

In my opinion, Real Irish football fans take an interest in their own league. This can be done in conjunction with passionate following of your English team surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

You've only really to look at my posts in the Newcastle thread to see how passionate I am about my club.

But you have never been, I have been to Newcastle ffs, its easy you get on a plane and 50 mins later you are there, short Metro ride into town and bobs your uncle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Going to games is an absolute necessity for a fan, otherwise you haven't a clue what supporting a team, ANY team, is about.

I know of a few lads who travel regularly to England for matches, are ST Holders at EPL Clubs, I respect them. This "It costs too much" is a load of me bollix, frankly, even if you live in the country, a bus to Dublin would probably add another thirty quid, max, to your costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You are passionate about watching Newcastle on TV. This has nothing to do with being a football fan. Theres plenty of forums about TV programmes with people who are passionate about them, try googling "Star Trek Forum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What if you are a college bum Des who really can't afford it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Everyone has an excuse tbh, but looking at Iago's post there, it works out to about sixty quid for a trip.

the problem people have is that they'd prefer to do other things with their money than go to see their team. They also want a day/night on the piss while at the match.

That's because, no matter how they look at it, they are getting on a plane, so it must be a holiday.

Now, I'd usually have a pint or two at a match, but pints in Tolka Park are cheaper than in other bars.

Des wrote: »
    Everyone has an excuse tbh, but looking at Iago's post there, it works out to about sixty quid for a trip.

the problem people have is that they'd prefer to do other things with their money than go to see their team.

I can only speak for myself, but there is nothing more that I'm looking forward to once I start working than being able to go to Liverpool games. My brothers go regularly and they offer to spot me, but I don't want anyones charity.
    They also want a day/night on the piss while at the match.

That's because, no matter how they look at it, they are getting on a plane, so it must be a holiday.

Now, I'd usually have a pint or two at a match, but pints in Tolka Park are cheaper than in other bars.

I don't see anything wrong with that tbh, I'm sure lads who support LOI teams go on the piss after a match, I know my own mates do. All they are doing is getting the most out of the day.

Thing is that a very large proportion of people do spend more watching United and Liverpool on TV than it would cost to get over to a fair few games per season. I know loads of lads who basically live in the pub all weekend watching the premiership. It has become it's own form of support - not merely a substitute for seeing the match.

People can dodge the issue with cost this and cost that, but a lot of people prefer watching on the telly/computer.

• Advertisement

Thing is that a very large proportion of people do spend more watching United and Liverpool on TV than it would cost to get over to a fair few games per season. I know loads of lads who basically live in the pub all weekend watching the premiership. It has become it's own form of support - not merely a substitute for seeing the match.

People can dodge the issue with cost this and cost that, but a lot of people prefer watching on the telly/computer.

I know what you mean about the pub culture for games at the weekend. I know a bunch of lads who went over to Liverpool for the Man City game. They didn't even go to the game, they just stayed in some random pub to watch it. :confused:

I know what you mean about the pub culture for games at the weekend. I know a bunch of lads who went over to Liverpool for the Man City game. They didn't even go to the game, they just stayed in some random pub to watch it. :confused:

In fairness, I think it's prevalent enough in England too. It's become a supporting option in it's own right.

In fairness, I think it's prevalent enough in England too. It's become a supporting option in it's own right.

That's true but I mean if you're going to go to the effort of actually jumping on a plane and then a train journey then you might as well go to the game. They went to Liverpool just to do the same thing they do every weekend!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I am a United season ticket holder and I went to 7 Dundalk home games this season.

I personally hate barstoolers that haven't been to see a live game, but I don't really mind people that make the effort to go to an odd game. If you can't afford to go or you can't get off work that is 100% understandable. However, if you can and you choose to sit on your arse in a bar, shouting your footballing "knowledge" around the place thats when it starts annoying me.

I'm not a holier than thou Man United fan, never have been and I never will be because I understand that everyones situation is different. Whether you've been to 2 or 100 games it doesn't matter to me. It's the effort that counts, not the quantity of matches you've attended.

But you have never been, I have been to Newcastle ffs, its easy you get on a plane and 50 mins later you are there, short Metro ride into town and bobs your uncle!

I don't need instructions on how to get on a plane and how to get there.
    I've seen Newcastle over here this year at Shamrock Rovers and I saw them a few years ago in a pre season tournament in Landsdowne Road.

CiaranC wrote: »
    You are passionate about watching Newcastle on TV. This has nothing to do with being a football fan. Theres plenty of forums about TV programmes with people who are passionate about them, try googling "Star Trek Forum"

If I wasn't a football fan I wouldn't be contributing to this forum to be fair.
    Also I don't yet have the funds/time off to go over to Newcastle to see a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If I wasn't a football fan I wouldn't be contributing to this forum to be fair.
    Posting on a "soccer" forum on the internet doesnt make you a football fan any more than watching football games on TV does.

Its like describing yourself as an art lover, but youve never been to a gallery, Instead youve watched television programmes about art and discussed it on the internet.

Posting on a "soccer" forum on the internet doesnt make you a football fan any more than watching football games on TV does.

Its like describing yourself as an art lover, but youve never been to a gallery, Instead youve watched television programmes about art and discussed it on the internet.

Don't really agree. You can be a fan of music and a fan of a band that you've never seen live.

People could throw forth arguements such as real football fans play football also.

So what you're saying is that I should chuck away my jersey and any passion I have as a supporter for my club until I go to see them play in their stadium?

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    I personally hate barstoolers that haven't been to see a live game, but I don't really mind people that make the effort to go to an odd game. If you can't afford to go or you can't get off work that is 100% understandable. However, if you can and you choose to sit on your arse in a bar, shouting your footballing "knowledge" around the place thats when it starts annoying me.

What really really really bugs the bejaysus out of me, is the barstooler who will laugh at you and tell you how "We are great" and "We beat you at the weekend".

If that is what these people want to support a football team for, then I have little respect them. they are not part of the "We" and will not be until they have been there and sung their hearts out for your team, stood out in the cold and shown your support, then you earn the right to say "We" in my opinion.

"We" does not mean stood in a pub drinking Heino and telling the world how ****ing wonderful you are because you've just got the the new "7th kit only to be worn when playing in Eastern Europe on a Tuesday night in January".

Obviously there are different levels of commitment to a team and different people have the means to support their clubs in different ways, but I think there should be a certain level of respect shown to those people who are lifelong, dedicated fans and will take the chance to go to Old Trafford, Anfield etc rather than take the easy option of a few pints down the pub.

What really really really bugs the bejaysus out of me, is the barstooler who will laugh at you and tell you how "We are great" and "We beat you at the weekend".

If that is what these people want to support a football team for, then I have little respect them. they are not part of the "We" and will not be until they have been there and sung their hearts out for your team, stood out in the cold and shown your support, then you earn the right to say "We" in my opinion.

"We" does not mean stood in a pub drinking Heino and telling the world how ****ing wonderful you are because you've just got the the new "7th kit only to be worn when playing in Eastern Europe on a Tuesday night in January".

Obviously there are different levels of commitment to a team and different people have the means to support their clubs in different ways, but I think there should be a certain level of respect shown to those people who are lifelong, dedicated fans and will take the chance to go to Old Trafford, Anfield etc rather than take the easy option of a few pints down the pub.

Well that is the worst type of fan, in fact, I wouldn't call them fans. Usually the same types that don't go to the pub when "their" team lose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement