Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Real" Football Fan (Mod Note: #198, #237 and OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

To the lads that go over to watch their English clubs every few months or so, can you really call yourself a die-hard fan? Like I'll go to 2 or 3 Watford games every season but I couldn't put myself on the same level as a fan as the Watford fans that go week in week out.

There's a difference between "supporting" a team and being a "fan" of a team, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Being a fan who attends games, is definitely a very different experience to a fan who has never attended a game.

Different type of fans? definitely
    Real and false fans? I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

To the lads that go over to watch their English clubs every few months or so, can you really call yourself a die-hard fan? Like I'll go to 2 or 3 Watford games every season but I couldn't put myself on the same level as a fan as the Watford fans that go week in week out.

There's a difference between "supporting" a team and being a "fan" of a team, in my opinion.

Agree and good point, lets not forget fan means fanatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Also.... am I not a fan if I don't go to every Ireland home game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

That_Guy wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that I should chuck away my jersey and any passion I have as a supporter for my club until I go to see them play in their stadium?

What I am saying is save up and go then you will realise what passion is about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've been to see City 5 times, each in a different competition - Premiership, Division 1, Division 2, FA Cup and Uefa Cup :D

I'd love to go to more games, and definitely would have had I not moved to the other side of the world just when I got to an age where I could afford the trips myself. I really don't think someone living an hour flight from their UK club has many good reasons for not making a trip at least once a year.

I was a season ticketer at Shels for a few years while in school/college and would still be if I was home, and now I get my live fix by going to A-League games.

A 'real' football fan to me does incorporate the live experience. If you don't have access to your Uniteds or Barcas or whoever then get a fix in another way. Pop down to your local cllub, whoever it is, and embrace the live atmosphere. That is what football should be all about, and for me nothing beats watching a game in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Des wrote: »
    Going to games is an absolute necessity for a fan, otherwise you haven't a clue what supporting a team, ANY team, is about.

I know of a few lads who travel regularly to England for matches, are ST Holders at EPL Clubs, I respect them. This "It costs too much" is a load of me bollix, frankly, even if you live in the country, a bus to Dublin would probably add another thirty quid, max, to your costs.

Its pretty clear to me that "That_guy" is a real fan if you read any of his posts you can see that. Because he cant afford to go over to St.James park it takes someone else to tell him hes not a real fan? Yeah...I think thats a "load of me bollix".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A supporter that hasn't experienced a certain type of live game just haven't fully 'got' the team that they support. I really believe that.

For example, seeing your biggest rivals get beaten by two late goals (:p) and being part of the tumult. Going to an away game and seeing the floodlights in the distance as you approach the ground and feel almost like an emissary. Nodding to familiar faces as you enter the ground. There's something indescribable about it that links you to every other supporter in the world, no matter where they're from.

It's not about how many games you go to or how long you have been going, but every supporter should try and make the trip at least once or twice a year if they possibly can.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

joe123 wrote: »
    Its pretty clear to me that "That_guy" is a real fan if you read any of his posts you can see that. Because he cant afford to go over to St.James park it takes someone else to tell him hes not a real fan? Yeah...I think thats a "load of me bollix".
    Thats a load of bollox. I went over to the United vs Besiktas game last week with my cousin who is currently unemployed and is skint. It cost us a huge sum of €30 each for flights, £3 for a bus, £41 per ticket and £10 for taxi. We are going to the Birmingham game in St. Andrews and it is costing us a total of €80 each.

If you want it enough, you can go to a game.

That_Guy can afford a PC an x-box an internet connection and I see from his avatar he plays FIFA 10 and Forza 3, he obviously is a fan of video games but a fan of Newcastle United, I think not, he likes them granted but until he goes to a real game he is not a fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Iang87 wrote: »
    so i dont go over to liverpool week after week cos i cant afford it, so i'm not a real fan. Damn and here i was gettin all bothered cos the club is in disarray. Man its some relief bein able to stop thinking about them and to stop supporting them that i'm not a real fan.

If the whole world thought lik you thought i shudder to think the level of football being played worldwide cos teams wouldn't have the money to attract the best players coaches etc and to develop these skills some people are just born with. Oh and only big cities with massive populations would be successful
    Just to clarify for you, most of the world does feel this way. This phenomenon isn't an Irish one, and I assure you the diehard scousers feel this way too. Your kind are however an excellent income stream though, so I'd say the yanks lap it up.

But just to pull you up on a point, you're saying if this massive amount of money wasn't in the sport, the best players and coaches wouldn't be in it? Where would they be? Would they be plumbers and electricians? Is it not a bit more likely that they'd still be in the sport, just on less money?
    Voltwad wrote: »
    I would classify myself as a diehard Evertonian, I was bred that way and the city of Liverpool is like my second home. For a lot of my younger years I wouldn't have had a clue about the League of Ireland. However, once I reached 10 or 11 I started going to the odd Rovers game, a move away from Dublin didnt exactly help me fufill a commitment to them so I got submerged deeper into a love affair with The Toffees.

When I reached 15 or 16 I was making a two bus trip about a dozen times a season to Tolka to see Rovers play, despite not going to school in close proximity to my home either so I was putting through extreme effort to watch LOI football but I loved it. Finally when Rovers moved to Tallaght I was able to snap up a season ticket and I haven't missed a home game there yet.

I still follow Everton and will no matter what but it's just like having two albatrosses on my shoulder instead of one. Unfortunately the majority of kids are bred into following the Premier League instead of the LOI but I do feel that once people begin to come of age there should be nothing holding them back from seeking a sense of identity and community in a football team as well. For whatever reason though this doesn't seem to happen, partly it's down to the FAI but the level of apathy towards the LOI is saddening. For me, nothing can compare to the atmosphere of live football in the singing section of a crowd and the sense of togetherness and belonging is unparallelled by watching Super Sunday.

In my opinion, Real Irish football fans take an interest in their own league. This can be done in conjunction with passionate following of your English team surely?
    Pretty much agree with this post the most in this thread.
    You can judge whether someone is a real fan by the intensity of their posts on the internet now? Its easy to talk the talk, much harder to walk the walk and be at most of your chosen teams matches.

Football fans go to matches of their clubs regularly. Obviously there are no strict rules involved, and theres no set amount of games required, or criteria, and sometimes there are prevailing circumstances that mean a fan can only make 15 games a season instead of say 30.

But by and large, to be a fan of a club you have to be at most games, thats the way it always was. Then Sky came in and told people, that its grand, you don't have to put into the effort to support your club, we'll put it to your sitting room for real cheap, but you're still a football fan. And now you can randomly choose any team in the world to 'support' because we'll broadcast it worldwide.

And the 'I just can't afford it' line is the funniest of all. If you can't afford to be a football fan, thats grand, no1 is going to slate you for not being a football fan, they'll most likely disagree with you if you say you are one though.

I would absolutely love to be a homeowner, I'd also love to be a pilot. Unfortunately, I can't afford either. So I'm not. However anyone can afford to be a football fan, people just think the clubs they can afford to support are below them because its easier to form an immediate affection with the team they saw score an epic 90th minute winner scored on Sky and talked about in the media for years to come. Supporting your local club requires putting something in, not just getting something out, and non-football fans aren't really into doing that.

That_Guy can afford a PC an x-box an internet connection and I see from his avatar he plays FIFA 10 and Forza 3, he obviously is a fan of video games but a fan of Newcastle United, I think not, he likes them granted but until he goes to a real game he is not a fan!

I also am a fan of Nine Inch Nails but I've never seen them live.... so I guess I'm not a real fan.

And comparing computer games to a football team is ridiculous. Yeah I'm a fan of computer games but I didn't help make the game or witness it being created.... so am I not a fan?

I also am a fan of Nine Inch Nails but I've never seen them live.... so I guess I'm not a real fan.

And comparing computer games to a football team is ridiculous. Yeah I'm a fan of computer games but I didn't help make the game or witness it being created.... so am I not a fan?

Comparing being a fan of about 100 bands and comparing being a supporter of just one club is also ridiculous. There is no effort involved in being a fan of a band.

If you wanted to go enough, you would go to a game. I'm going to see United this evening with a mate of mine who is on minmum wage and as I've already said, I went to the Besiktas game last week with my cousin who is unemployed.

If you were enough of a NIN fan, you would have went to see them too.

DSB wrote: »
    Comparing being a fan of about 100 bands and comparing being a supporter of just one club is also ridiculous. There is no effort involved in being a fan of a band.

Say that to anyone who followed U2 around this summer who spent money on gigs, flights and hotels.

Seems to be the same type of effort involved in travelling to football matches.

If you've got the money then fair enough but I don't at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Im sorry but thats bad. I know ya say your busy and stuff....but still.

Well the only day of work I can get is Sunday usually, that's just an unfortuanate fact. And on Saturday I do a course because otherwise I'll be sitting on my ass doing nothing for the next couple of years while we're in a reccession, like many other recent graduates at the moment. Believe me I would love if I could work a Wednesday or Thursday instead of the weekend but unfortunately this is the only shift I can usually get. I guess if I was a 'diehard' fan I'd quit my job and beg, borrow or steal to get by but I'm not prepared to do this. I need the little money I get from my job. I'm also not prepared to sacrifice my education/potential career for my club. I'll run to the pub on my lunch break (managed to catch the 2nd half of the Everton match on Sunday), I'll have the live text up in work, and I'll watch the highlights when I get home. I'll do everything I can that is practical for me in following Liverpool.

Basically I think I'm a fan of Liverpool but they are not the number one priority in my life by any means. Can you still be a 'real' fan if this is the case? And if not what do you call us fans who follow and support a team but are not willing to place it as the central focus of our lives? Should fans like me be dismissed and shunned? Do diehard fans feel there is a place for fans like me in football?

These are honest questions, not trying to be smart, because I know there are fans out there that feel stronger about Liverpool than me (many on these boards even such as Mr Alan for example). But I would still like to feel that I am recognised as a Liverpool fan and a football fan, and not some sort of person who has no knowledge of football or the club.

Say that to anyone who followed U2 around this summer who spent money on gigs, flights and hotels.

Seems to be the same type of effort involved in travelling to football matches.

If you've got the money then fair enough but I don't at the moment.

I'm going to make a rough assumption here, and I'll base it on my own age, 22. You're probably older than that though. Lets say you've supported your club since you were 4, lets assume you had no income til you were 18. So from 18 to 22, you were a Newcastle supporter for 4 years. 365 x 4= 1460.

So if you saved 6 cent a day from that age, you could afford a trip to a Newcastle game with a bit of change to go drinking with. Was that too much money for you? Or are you just not that bothered? I don't mean that as a personal attack either. Just, if you were a Newcastle fan, you'd have found a way. I assure you there are people who went to every Newcastle game this season, probably on lower income levels than yourself, probably on the dole. Its just about sacrifices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I go to 20+ games a season. I'm lucky, single guy on a good wage living right beside Dublin Airport.

My mate Mark who was born in Tottenham, lives up in Stockport with his wife and baby daughter. Had to let his ST go because he was made redundant, and the train journey down to London and back sets him back £50+ on top of his match ticket. He goes 4 or 5 times a year.

Which one of us is the more die hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Odd.

Along with soccer, I've always supported Irish rugby.

However, given I'm only recently able to afford the ticket prices, and there's only recently been tickets available due to the temporary move to Croake park, I only started attending games last year.

I don't feel any different. My feelings about the team haven't changed - so what's the deal?

What's this 'real' fan thing that I apparently am??

Incidentally, when the IRFU make the move back to Landsdowne, the tickets are probably going to dry up again as 80,000 into 40,000 doesn't go and I don't have too many connections in the Rugby world.

Will I go back to being a different sort of fan then?

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Odd.

However, given I'm only recently able to afford the ticket prices, and there's only recently been tickets available due to the temporary move to Croake park, I only started attending games last year.

I don't feel any different. My feelings about the team haven't changed - so what's the deal?

Incidentally, when the IRFU make the move back to Landsdowne, the tickets are probably going to dry up again as 80,000 into 40,000 doesn't go and I don't have too many connections in the Rugby world.

If you look hard enough, you'll find a way. I got two tickets to the champions league final in rome, in the United end at face value when they were going for €1000+ in Rome on the black market.

gosplan wrote: »
    Odd.

No you will be a fan who cant go because you cannot get a ticket!

That_guy is not a Fan because he chooses not to bother to save up and go to Newcastle to see a game!

This is not about how much of a fan a person is, if you are a fan of a football teamare an adult then I would expect that you would have seen them play at home, i was a fan of Celtic for years, I travelled over I had a Season Ticket, I was a fan of Shamrock Rovers and went to games home and away, now with a wife and three kids i could not call myself a Fan as have not been for years, my fanhood has been diluted as I cannot expeirience what being a fan means, being with other fans watching live football.

The shelbourne Fans who watched their club narrowly miss out on promotion, the Rovers Fans who went from pillar to post watching their team, the bohs fans who went to Aberdeen to see them win will know what being a fan means, not some guy who watches on the tv, recreates the game after on FIFA 10 and is passionate in internet forums. He may follow a team, but can not claim to be a fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I go to 20+ games a season. I'm lucky, single guy on a good wage living right beside Dublin Airport.

My mate Mark who was born in Tottenham, lives up in Stockport with his wife and baby daughter. Had to let his ST go because he was made redundant, and the train journey down to London and back sets him back £50+ on top of his match ticket. He goes 4 or 5 times a year.

The one in the string vest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I don't need instructions on how to get on a plane and how to get there.
    I've seen Newcastle over here this year at Shamrock Rovers and I saw them a few years ago in a pre season tournament in Landsdowne Road.

Assuming you are Irish (correct me if I'm wrong), it is quite dissappointing that you would rather support a team from a foreign soverign state than a team from your very own country.

As an Irish man, sitting in an Irish stadium, located in an Irish city, to support the foreign team over the Irish team is like shouting for Leicester Tigers against Munster, Tiger Woods over Padraig Harrington, and Paula Radcliffe over Sonia O'Sullivan.

But each to their own. If it makes you happy then go for it.

04072511 wrote: »
    Assuming you are Irish (correct me if I'm wrong), it is quite dissappointing that you would rather support a team from a foreign soverign state than a team from your very own country.

As an Irish man, sitting in an Irish stadium, located in an Irish city, to support the foreign team over the Irish team is like shouting for Leicester Tigers against Munster, Tiger Woods over Padraig Harrington, and Paula Radcliffe over Sonia O'Sullivan.

:rolleyes:

How am I to know which one of you is the more "die hard"?

What you said there is different to what I said though, going to 20+ games a year is quality, fair play. I'd consider you a fan, but I'd rather you went to 20+ LOI games ;)

I was just saying that I can't compare myself to Watford fans that go week in week out, whereas I just go over to 3 or 4 games a year. You on the other hand go to 20+ games per season, and are comparing youself to a chap, who for one reason or another, can only make 4 or 5 games a year.

• Advertisement

a dilemma that must come up every week when Bray Wanderers play Manchester United game, or UCD play Arsenal :D

How am I to know which one of you is the more "die hard"?

What you said there is different to what I said though, going to 20+ games a year is quality, fair play. I'd consider you a fan, but I'd rather you went to 20+ LOI games ;)

I was just saying that I can't compare myself to Watford fans that go week in week out, whereas I just go over to 3 or 4 games a year. You on the other hand go to 20+ games per season, and are comparing youself to a chap, who for one reason or another, can only make 4 or 5 games a year.

Being a fan is a marathon, not a sprint though, it is not all about how many games you attend this season, or last.

i would be inclined to consider someone who goes to Watford 3 or 4 times a season a fan than i would someone who watches Man united every week from the comfort of a hospitality box.

Lets face it, No one decides to follow Watford because they are glory seeking do they.

Being a fan is a marathon, not a sprint though, it is not all about how many games you attend this season, or last.

i would be inclined to consider someone who goes to Watford 3 or 4 times a season a fan than i would someone who watches Man united every week from the comfort of a hospitality box.

Lets face it, No one decides to follow Watford because they are glory seeking do they.

Yeah thats very true. We're crap, but eh I was born there so thats why I support them. I can never really feel as "connected" to the club as the Watford fans that go week in week out do, though.

But I do feel more of a fan of St Patrick's Athletic as I go to all but one or two of their games both home and away, and even in Europe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just to clarify lads, this is ALL subjective. There are no rules to being a football fan written in some ancient book, everyone has their own interpretation at the end of the day.

DSB wrote: »
    I'm going to make a rough assumption here, and I'll base it on my own age, 22. You're probably older than that though. Lets say you've supported your club since you were 4, lets assume you had no income til you were 18. So from 18 to 22, you were a Newcastle supporter for 4 years. 365 x 4= 1460.

So if you saved 6 cent a day from that age, you could afford a trip to a Newcastle game with a bit of change to go drinking with. Was that too much money for you? Or are you just not that bothered? I don't mean that as a personal attack either. Just, if you were a Newcastle fan, you'd have found a way. I assure you there are people who went to every Newcastle game this season, probably on lower income levels than yourself, probably on the dole. Its just about sacrifices.

I'm 21 and to be fair who saves 6 cent per day? Not realistic. I have money but family commitments come first.
    I love my club but sometimes things are more important. It's out of my control.

That_guy is not a Fan because he chooses not to bother to save up and go to Newcastle to see a game!

not some guy who watches on the tv, recreates the game after on FIFA 10 and is passionate in internet forums. He may follow a team, but can not claim to be a fan!

Eh... yeah I am a fan. But hey you know me better it seems. As I said above family commitments come first, followed by college and with college I have no spare time until my Christmas holidays.

I've pointed out to you before that I am passionate about my club as per the Newcastle United thread. If you even bothered to look at some of the recent posts I'm actually asking about a trip to Newcastle.

It's a bit ridiculous that in order to gain this new level of "real" fan you have to earn it by going to a game. It's not World Of Warcraft we're talking about.

I've been to Bohs several times and honestly the standard of football from what I've seen is piss poor. That's my opinion.

I know a lot of LOI supporters are passionate about their club and go to games week in and week out so fair enough.

• Advertisement

I'm 21 and to be fair who saves 6 cent per day? Not realistic. I have money but family commitments come first.
    I love my club but sometimes things are more important. It's out of my control.

Eh... yeah I am a fan. But hey you know me better it seems. As I said above family commitments come first, followed by college and with college I have no spare time until my Christmas holidays.

I've pointed out to you before that I am passionate about my club as per the Newcastle United thread. If you even bothered to look at some of the recent posts I'm actually asking about a trip to Newcastle.

It's a bit ridiculous that in order to gain this new level of "real" fan you have to earn it by going to a game. It's not World Of Warcraft we're talking about.

I've been to Bohs several times and honestly the standard of football from what I've seen is piss poor. That's my opinion.

I know a lot of LOI supporters are passionate about their club and go to games week in and week out so fair enough.

Seems bizzare that you'd rather a team who are based in a place you have never set foot in win ahead of a team who are located withing your own country, where you live, have grown up, where all your friends, family are from (making assumptions here). And all because the standard is poor. If this is the reason you prefer to look elsewhere this makes you more of a consumer rather than a supporter or "real fan" as the title thread talks about, as you dont have to go abroad to support a Football Club!

No beef with the Colts though as we dont have American Football here. Though again I must ask where is the association? I'm a Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres fan (NHL) as all my american relatives are from there and I've visited the place on a number of occasions, I know so many there, so I feel a connection to the place, and therefore the teams.

Seems bizzare that you'd rather a team who are based in a place you have never set foot in win ahead of a team who are located withing your own country, where you live, have grown up, where all your friends, family are from (making assumptions here). And all because the standard is poor. If this is the reason you prefer to look elsewhere this makes you more of a consumer rather than a supporter or "real fan" as the title thread talks about, as you dont have to go abroad to support a Football Club!

We're not gonna have a LOI V English teams debate are we?
    I don't like Irish football. Never have and possibly never will. If people want to support their local club then that's fair enough but it's not something that I or many others should be criticised over because we don't.
    I class myself as a "real" fan even though I don't go abroad to see my team play.

No beef with the Colts though as we dont have American Football here. Though again I must ask where is the association? I'm a Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres fan (NHL) as all my american relatives are from there and I've visited the place on a number of occasions, I know so many there, so I feel a connection to the place, and therefore the teams.

Like yourself I've got family there so that's why I follow them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't like Irish football. Never have and possibly never will. .

I've always found it strange that football supporters can hate certain types of football so much. Doesn't all football have it's own attraction.

Fair enough, Barcelona are far more attractive than Bolton, but to dismiss an entire league as poor fare seems to me not to be the words of a real football supporter. Just because the LOI teams are not as good as the top and second tier in England doesn't mean that all the games are poor, or even long-ball.

If Newcastle ended up in Division 3, would you dump them? Actually in fact, I saw Newcastle play in Tallaght and they're hardly Arsenal. I've seen LOI teams play as pleasing a style of football, if obviously not as good a team.

stovelid wrote: »
    I've always found it strange that football supporters can hate certain types of football so much. Doesn't all football have it's own attraction.

All football has its own attraction to each individual.
    Fair enough, Barcelona are far more attractive than Bolton, but to dismiss an entire league as poor fare seems to me not to be the words of a real football supporter. Just because the LOI teams are not as good as the top and second tier in England doesn't mean that all the games are poor, or even long-ball.

Fair point. The times I went to Bohs and that one game Newcastle played against Shamrock Rovers, I didn't see anything great.
    I'm sure maybe there has been great matches but the times I was there, I didn't enjoy the football being played.
    If Newcastle ended up in Division 3, would you dump them? Actually in fact, I saw Newcastle play in Tallaght and they're hardly Arsenal. I've seen LOI teams play as pleasing a style of football, if obviously not as good a team.

If Newcastle ended up in League 2, no I wouldn't dump them.
    I never said Newcastle play like Arsenal. They have their own style as do other teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Voltwad wrote: »
    I would classify myself as a diehard Evertonian, I was bred that way and the city of Liverpool is like my second home. For a lot of my younger years I wouldn't have had a clue about the League of Ireland. However, once I reached 10 or 11 I started going to the odd Rovers game, a move away from Dublin didnt exactly help me fufill a commitment to them so I got submerged deeper into a love affair with The Toffees.

When I reached 15 or 16 I was making a two bus trip about a dozen times a season to Tolka to see Rovers play, despite not going to school in close proximity to my home either so I was putting through extreme effort to watch LOI football but I loved it. Finally when Rovers moved to Tallaght I was able to snap up a season ticket and I haven't missed a home game there yet.

I still follow Everton and will no matter what but it's just like having two albatrosses on my shoulder instead of one. Unfortunately the majority of kids are bred into following the Premier League instead of the LOI but I do feel that once people begin to come of age there should be nothing holding them back from seeking a sense of identity and community in a football team as well. For whatever reason though this doesn't seem to happen, partly it's down to the FAI but the level of apathy towards the LOI is saddening. For me, nothing can compare to the atmosphere of live football in the singing section of a crowd and the sense of togetherness and belonging is unparallelled by watching Super Sunday.

In my opinion, Real Irish football fans take an interest in their own league. This can be done in conjunction with passionate following of your English team surely?
    Xavi6 wrote: »

I was a season ticketer at Shels for a few years while in school/college and would still be if I was home, and now I get my live fix by going to A-League games.

A 'real' football fan to me does incorporate the live experience. If you don't have access to your Uniteds or Barcas or whoever then get a fix in another way. Pop down to your local cllub, whoever it is, and embrace the live atmosphere. That is what football should be all about, and for me nothing beats watching a game in person.

Great posts gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

I'm a Liverpool fan but I don't think I would be classed as a real fan under the criteria suggested by a lot of people on here.
    I've been over to Anfield three times and went to see them play over here once. Personally, I think that I'm too into Liverpool. Considering I have no real link to Liverpool (I support them because my Dad liked them although he definitely wasnt a die hard fan)
    Following Liverpool affects my moods, it taints my opinion of people (e.g if someones a United fan I have an ever so slight and completely ridiculous prejudice against them) and if a match is nervy enough it can give me near heart palpatations. Considering my supporting them was a fairly arbitrary choice I think I might be investing too much feeling in Liverpool.
    I'm all for supporting a club but I do think it can be taken to far. By all means support your club but don't let it consume your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am definitely one who has a slight dislike for those who support rival clubs (Spurs and Arsenal being the chief ones there), and I feel an affinity to fellow Chelsea fans, even if they are utter scumbags!

My support for Chelsea stems from the fact that my cousin repeatedly bombarded me with his support of Chelsea from a young age. I find that what you are exposed to as a youngster can stay with you for a long time. Like:

-first team I saw live: Chelsea
    -first jersey I ever owned: Chelsea
    -first team I screamed and cheered for: Chelsea
    -first player that completely left me open-mouthed at their skill: Ruud Gullit (playing for... you guessed it)

I also believe that every fan of a team should see their team playing live, AT LEAST once in their life. I go every time it is humanly possible now, and I love my trips to England for these games.

The one I really wanna do soon tho is a trip to an away Champions League tie in Europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

DazMarz wrote: »
    I am definitely one who has a slight dislike for those who support rival clubs (Spurs and Arsenal being the chief ones there), and I feel an affinity to fellow Chelsea fans, even if they are utter scumbags!
    I know plenty of Chelsea from my London days and they certainly dont feel "an affinity" for Irish daytrippers, espeicially ones who call them scumbags :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just wondering what other people believe classifies a “real” fan?

A real fan is anyone who supports the club. I don't like people exhalting themselves to be 'bigger' or 'better' supporters of a club. Not everyone can afford to go to games or spend money on trips to watch them. Furthermore, it shouldn't impact on other supporters what they do or how they support their club.

I do go to a game a season at least but I'm not that concerned about who else does or doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I am torn .

If you asked me 10 years ago , I would have said ... you have to go to live games.

Now however ....

I have only been to 2 live games in the last 5 years . Due to a total change in circumstance ( a young child , moving to Ireland etc ). Before that time I used to go to 20-30 games a season ( home and away ) going back to the 70's

I travel a lot for work , so travelling for pleasure is not high on my agenda to be honest.

I think anyone who follows a club , if its from afar or in person is ok by me. I have met Chelsea ( My club )fans who I can honestly say I hated , others I like.

Do I miss the live footie .. yes without a doubt , but I have to make choices .

I don't like football ' fans' who change club , to me that is totally wierd and alien . You support a club through thick AND thin. For that reason I have a sneaky respect for Leeds fans ( although I hate Leeds with every fibre of my body .

Interesting debate , nice to see one here that has not totally fallen into a slanging match.

CiaranC wrote: »
    I know plenty of Chelsea from my London days and they certainly dont feel "an affinity" for Irish daytrippers, espeicially ones who call them scumbags :rolleyes:

Most of their scum element is banned now anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I think Man Utd have the most 'jump on the bandwagon' fans, people who just support them because they dominate at the moment.
    I know loads of them, never mention the team until they're in a final and then all of a sudden they're a fan.

You'll find a lot more 'real' fans in clubs that arent doing so well, they stick by them no matter what even though they never win anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

CiaranC wrote: »
    This whole attitide can be just taken too far. I know an Irish Arsenal fan who rants about Spurs and throws all sorts of racist insults their way - The same guy has probably never met a jew in his life!

I'm a Chelsea for over 30 years - only been over twice. Enjoy meeting other Chelsea fans and generally get on well with them.
    I'm not going to lose sleep over any Chelsea fan who doesn't like that - there are other things more important in my life.

On here we are mostly Irish fans of foreign teams , discussing how "real" our committment is - surreal is probably a better word for discussion:D

bullpost wrote: »
    On here we are mostly Irish fans of foreign teams , discussing how "real" our committment is - surreal is probably a better word for discussion:D

NAIL ON THE HEAD!

Yeh because the standard in the Irish League is sh1t!
    The premiership is an international league, doesnt matter where you're from!

Yeh because the standard in the Irish League is sh1t!
    The premiership is an international league, doesnt matter where you're from!

LOL

The hint is in the name... ENGLISH Premier League.

The clubs are located in ENGLAND. The clubs are located in ONE country, so therefore making it domestic, not international.

And its the League of Ireland, not the Irish League :rolleyes:

Thats the craziest quote I've heard in quite a while.

LOL

The hint is in the name... ENGLISH Premier League.

The clubs are located in ENGLAND. The clubs are located in ONE country, so therefore making it domestic, not international.

And its the League of Ireland, not the Irish League :rolleyes:

Thats the craziest quote I've heard in quite a while.

Its held in England yeh, but its supported internationally and there's more foreign players than English.

Oh wow its the League of Ireland not the Irish League, oh you really caught me out there LOL, well done!!!

Its held in England yeh, but its supported internationally and there's more foreign players than English.

Oh wow its the League of Ireland not the Irish League, oh you really caught me out there LOL, well done!!!

It doesnt matter if it was 100% Foreign players, it will always be an English League. To suggest its an international league borders on insanity. All clubs are located in the UK, sell their tickets in Sterling etc

The Champions League is what you call an International Competition, as is the World Cup. It involves teams from MORE THAN ONE country. The English Premier League does not fall under the definition of an International League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

there's more foreign players than English
    I wouldn't imagine that's true

He did actually.Given that you didn't even know the name of the league you were disparaging it doesn't exactly give your "it's ****" claims any worth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement