Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Real" Football Fan (Mod Note: #198, #237 and OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

hahaha how dramatic, what am i not irish anymore now!

Will you give over :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

hahaha how dramatic, what am i not irish anymore now!

Your use of the word "we" gives the impression that its YOUR league.

Yes, the same league that you dont know the name of!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

04072511 wrote: »
    Your use of the word "we" gives the impression that its YOUR league.

Yes, the same league that you dont know the name of!

Oh god grow up, how petty are you LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Oh god grow up, how petty are you LOL
    Oh god, how ignorant about your national league and fandom overall you are :D

Voltwad wrote: »
    Oh god, how ignorant about your national league and fandom overall you are :D

Not ignorant, just saying the League of Ireland is sh1t in compairson to the EPL so i dont blame people for supporting teams abroad if they wanna see better football.
    Nothing wrong with it!

If you diagree with that you're living in dreamland!

Not ignorant, just saying the League of Ireland is sh1t in compairson to the EPL so i dont blame people for supporting teams abroad if they wanna see better football.
    Nothing wrong with it!

If you diagree with that you're living in dreamland!

As has been said in this thread already, that doesn't stop Portuguese following their sides. As Irish football fans, this country seems to be the one of the few that prefer a foreign league to it's own. I don't blame people for supporting EPL teams either but they should have a good reason for doing so, other than because a certain player plays for them.

Ever hear the expression 'No player is bigger than the club'? By your logic you don't follow a club, you follow players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

just wondering what other people believe classifies a “real” fan?

No other person has the right to judge you or me if we are a real fan of our football team. Only you know that.

And just because a person travels to 2-3 Premiership games a season doesn't make him or her any more of a supporter than you or I.

A real 'supporter' is someone who is a life-long season-ticket-holder with the club they adore.

But that doesn't mean that you or I (who probably don't have season-tickets) are any less passionate than they are. It just means that they put their club before everything else in their life.

If you are Irish for instance (lets say you support Fulham) and you are away on holidays in Las Vegas and you see a dude with a Fulham jersey on? You don't know the dude one bit, but yet you'll keep eye contact on him and if he passes a glance you'll give a little nod, as if to say 'nice one man - me too'

He has no idea until that moment that you support Fulham (unless you are gay). Similar thing when you are out in a pub whether in be in Putney/Fulham or your local boozer in Tallaght, some dude walks up to you in the jacks with a Fulham jersey on you, you are going to acknowledge him and start chatting. That's what support is, having an interest in a team.

People who think differently and even remotely consider they are 'more of a supporter' than someone else purely because they get to a few games every year or buy the latest kit (which actually goes to the sponsor) need to seriously wake up before it's too late.

If you want to sit at home at your tv and abuse the ref, you fecking do it, don't let someone big ego head tell you it's the wrong thing to do and that you aren't a real fan.

Everyone thinks they are a bigger better supporter than everyone else, it's just the way the world works, a bit like greed. Leave them to it and laugh them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

As a Villa fan living in Dublin, I went to my first game since March last weekend. I sat in the Holte End in my jersey surrounded by regular fans / season ticket holders.
    Does a 16 stone man shouting " Defoe you fat cockney c**t " make him a real fan? Does the fella sticking two fingers up in the air silently everytime a Spurs player missed make him more of a fan than I who watch all their games either on TV or online while not letting wins or losses dictate my mood? Indeed, does the fan who kept calling Peter Crouch a " freak " have more loyalty to Villa than me?

As much as I enjoyed the experience of seeing the players live, I also enjoy having a few beers in my local, bit of banter and a far more cost efficient weekend.

It's whatever it means to you. We are all fans, whether you need to be considered " real " or not is probably a reflection on your needs - just my opinion.

As a Villa fan living in Dublin, I went to my first game since March last weekend. I sat in the Holte End in my jersey surrounded by regular fans / season ticket holders.
    Does a 16 stone man shouting " Defoe you fat cockney c**t " make him a real fan? Does the fella sticking two fingers up in the air silently everytime a Spurs player missed make him more of a fan than I who watch all their games either on TV or online while not letting wins or losses dictate my mood? Indeed, does the fan who kept calling Peter Crouch a " freak " have more loyalty to Villa than me?

As much as I enjoyed the experience of seeing the players live, I also enjoy having a few beers in my local, bit of banter and a far more cost efficient weekend.

It's whatever it means to you. We are all fans, whether you need to be considered " real " or not is probably a reflection on your needs - just my opinion.
    I always shout banter at players at matches, on both sides. It's all part of the game and I don't think contributes or takes away from someone being a fan.

As for letting results dictate my mood, well I can't help that and there's nothing wrong with me if it takes me a few days to get over a bad defeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I always shout banter at players at matches, on both sides. It's all part of the game and I don't think contributes or takes away from someone being a fan.

As for letting results dictate my mood, well I can't help that and there's nothing wrong with me if it takes me a few days to get over a bad defeat

I'm not saying it does or doesnt mate, but some of the absolute crap and ignorant comments made suggested that those around me, who do go every week actually dont understand the game.

And as for getting over defeats, imo life is too short, the kids are too important and the missus is too needy :D - each to their own though mate, not saying either is right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As much as I enjoyed the experience of seeing the players live,

The subtext of your post seems (imo) to suggest that you didn't really enjoy as much as you thought you would.

As has been said in this thread already, that doesn't stop Portuguese following their sides. As Irish football fans, this country seems to be the one of the few that prefer a foreign league to it's own. I don't blame people for supporting EPL teams either but they should have a good reason for doing so, other than because a certain player plays for them.

Ever hear the expression 'No player is bigger than the club'? By your logic you don't follow a club, you follow players.

Because they Portuguese players are better than the Irish teams. If we had a good league more people would support it, just like our players would play in it and not leave to go to foreign clubs.

They should have good reason to do so?? It being of better quality is a good enough reason.

Who said someone supported a team because 'certain players' play for them.
    My logic? haha, I support Liverpool and will til I die, never said i follow players!

In_tuition wrote: »
    No other person has the right to judge you or me if we are a real fan of our football team. Only you know that.

And just because a person travels to 2-3 Premiership games a season doesn't make him or her any more of a supporter than you or I.

A real 'supporter' is someone who is a life-long season-ticket-holder with the club they adore.

But that doesn't mean that you or I (who probably don't have season-tickets) are any less passionate than they are. It just means that they put their club before everything else in their life.

If you are Irish for instance (lets say you support Fulham) and you are away on holidays in Las Vegas and you see a dude with a Fulham jersey on? You don't know the dude one bit, but yet you'll keep eye contact on him and if he passes a glance you'll give a little nod, as if to say 'nice one man - me too'

He has no idea until that moment that you support Fulham (unless you are gay). Similar thing when you are out in a pub whether in be in Putney/Fulham or your local boozer in Tallaght, some dude walks up to you in the jacks with a Fulham jersey on you, you are going to acknowledge him and start chatting. That's what support is, having an interest in a team.

People who think differently and even remotely consider they are 'more of a supporter' than someone else purely because they get to a few games every year or buy the latest kit (which actually goes to the sponsor) need to seriously wake up before it's too late.

If you want to sit at home at your tv and abuse the ref, you fecking do it, don't let someone big ego head tell you it's the wrong thing to do and that you aren't a real fan.

Everyone thinks they are a bigger better supporter than everyone else, it's just the way the world works, a bit like greed. Leave them to it and laugh them off.

Have to agree with what you said there. There's too many people on this forum like that, think they're better than everyone else. Its sad

Because they Portuguese players are better than the Irish teams. If we had a good league more people would support it, just like our players would play in it and not leave to go to foreign clubs.

They should have good reason to do so?? It being of better quality is a good enough reason.

Who said someone supported a team because 'certain players' play for them.
    My logic? haha, I support Liverpool and will til I die, never said i follow players!

The league would improve if it got more revenue from increased interest from football 'fans' nationwide. It's not a case of chicken & egg IMO, I genuinely get irritated by Irish people with a genuine interest in football who turn a blind eye to the football on their doorstep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Have to agree with what you said there. There's too many people on this forum like that, think they're better than everyone else. Its sad
    I find it funny. These threads always have a few laughs in them.

• Advertisement

The league would improve if it got more revenue from increased interest from football 'fans' nationwide. It's not a case of chicken & egg IMO, I genuinely get irritated by Irish people with a genuine interest in football who turn a blind eye to the football on their doorstep.

More money needs to be put into Irish sport, the only thing we do well at is boxing.
    Easily irratated then arent you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

the only thing we do well at is boxing.

Golf!

Horse Racing!

Greyhound Racing!

A1 Grand Prix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

More money needs to be put into Irish sport, the only thing we do well at is boxing.

Hold on a sec, I have Brian O'Driscoll on the line. What's that Brian? Unbeaten in 2009? Best player in the world you say?

Interesting.

Rugby?

Athletics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Talking ****e.

No ones willing to take us on. We're the best by walk-over

• Advertisement

Do you want a more efficient shovel for your hole? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you sat in a cold wet football ground watching the utter shoite I did last night, the excitement of watching live football may wain a little bit.:mad:

CHD wrote: »
    I find it funny. These threads always have a few laughs in them.

Get over to The Bridge yourself much, CHD? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

stovelid wrote: »

shoddy & lazy come back.

'real' is a term people give themselves to put themselves on a higher tier. they are the only ones putting themselves there, thats the important thing. it is also the first name of the worlds richest superhero/football team

Rugby?

Athletics?

Yeh rugby this year, but Athletics???

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A real fan is someone dedicated to their team through thick and thin, how they choose to support their team is up to them.

Personally, I think nothing beats live football. When I was younger I supported Liverpool, was never over at Anfield, saw them once at a friendly in Landsdowne, but apart from that only watched them on T.V. Could not possibly go back to that. To borrow someone elses term from this thread, I find it slightly surreal that people go to see their team once or twice a season and treat it like a big occasion.

I've said it before, I feel the huge support for English teams (mostly the big four and especially United and Liverpool) is down to marketing. It's beaten into us that the English league is better and the League of Ireland is ****. We're almost expected to follow an English team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Yeh rugby this year, but Athletics???

Oh your asking the wrong person here mate :D

Olive Loughnane 2nd in the World
    Derval O'Rourke 4th in the World
    David Gillick 6th in the World
    Paul Hession 10th in the World

in their respective events

For a tiny country is quite impressive. Athletics is a truely global sport and the competition is fierce.

Also need I mention a person by the name of Sonia O'Sullivan who was at the very top of womens running for about a decade. Eamonn Coghlan, John Treacy, Catherina McKiernan, Marcus O'Sullivan, Frank O'Mara, Ray Flynn? All truely World Class athletes we have produced over thee last 30 years.

Also we've been good at rugby for a decade now! Munster and Leinster in the Heineken Cup eh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Because they Portuguese players are better than the Irish teams. If we had a good league more people would support it, !

Do pray tell me how you define "good" What speficic metric would the league have to make before it was seen as "good" ?

Oh your asking the wrong person here mate :D

Olive Loughnane 2nd in the World
    Derval O'Rourke 4th in the World
    David Gillick 6th in the World
    Paul Hession 10th in the World

in their respective events

For a tiny country is quite impressive. Athletics is a truely global sport and the competition is fierce.

Also need I mention a person by the name of Sonia O'Sullivan who was at the very top of womens running for about a decade. Eamonn Coghlan, John Treacy, Catherina McKiernan, Marcus O'Sullivan, Frank O'Mara, Ray Flynn? All truely World Class athletes we have produced over thee last 30 years.

Also we've been good at rugby for a decade now! Munster and Leinster in the Heineken Cup eh??

Half of our sports people need to go abroad to train, to places like Loughborough in England.
    How well did our team do at the olympics last year??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

gustavo wrote: »
    Do pray tell me how you define "good" What speficic metric would the league have to make before it was seen as "good" ?
    Awesomeos, the SI unit for sporting ability

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Half of our sports people need to go abroad to train, to places like Loughborough in England.
    How well did our team do at the olympics this year??

Oh deary deary me, the Olympics were last year!! Seriously think before you type.

Olive Loughnane and Derval O'Rourke both train at home.

Oh deary deary me, the Olympics were last year!! Seriously think before you type.

Olive Loughnane and Derval O'Rourke both train at home.

You know what i meant! did you actually use deary deary me, how old are you 90??

what about the rest of them?

You know what i meant!

what about the rest of them?

Your digging yourself into a hole here.

You said we only do well at Boxing. I and others corrected you by listing plenty of other sports. I mentioned Athletics.

You then questioned our success at Athletics. To which I listed out our incredible performance at this years World Championships.

So now you want to know how me got on in the Olympics (an outdated measure of our success as there has been a World Championships since).

Well to answer your question we had 3 athletes in the top 10 in their respective events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yeah, i live in a box outside the place. I rob wireless broadband and use dole money sent over to get a ticket to every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I need to get more popcorn

Back on topic please or this will be locked.

Fink Goddie, I really think you need to think before you post. Please.

Your digging yourself into a hole here.

You said we only do well at Boxing. I and others corrected you by listing plenty of other sports. I mentioned Athletics.

You then questioned our success at Athletics. To which I listed out our incredible performance at this years World Championships.

So now you want to know how me got on in the Olympics (an outdated measure of our success as there has been a World Championships since).

Well to answer your question we had 3 athletes in the top 10 in their respective events.

Even they train in England though! Just like all our good footballers go to train over there too!

Even they train in England though! Just like all our good footballers go to train over there too!
    Many players were established talent over here having trained with Cherry Orchard and other teams before heading over to develop. Kevin Doyle is a fully developed product of Cork City Fc and there are many others.

Many players were established talent over here having trained with Cherry Orchard and other teams before heading over to develop. Kevin Doyle is a fully developed product of Cork City Fc and there are many others.

Heading over to develop, exactly because they wouldnt do it here.

• Advertisement

Heading over to develop, exactly because they wouldnt do it here.
    They've been training since age 6 or 7 over here though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

0,,5972560,00.jpg

0,,5972560,00.jpg

I cannot watch games at Fratton Park with the sound on because of that fucker and his bell :mad:

They've been training since age 6 or 7 over here though ;)

And then in order to progress any further they need to go abroad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

93282762.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0C505728B7FED5E4A21955686EAEF39FF0F201C2FE8D00F33

And then in order to progress any further they need to go abroad ;)
    Not necessarily as young as you seem to think though. There have been a good few examples of players gaining from first team experience over here in recent years, inevitably there's only one place they'll go if they're good enough, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Töpher wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, why not next time take the cost of the jersey and invest it into flights and match tickets instead?

[edit]This wasn't meant to be directed solely at you, but to anyone who will use the money excuse, but can still afford to fork out for a replica shirt.

I'm heading to the West Brom game in January. So done and done. I'll come back here and then smite all you non "real" fans for not attending a game. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Someone who has a genuine connection to the city of the club, and SUPPORTS the team. I.E. Doesn't sit down for for 90 minutes scroffing down a pie, telling the person in front to sit down and feels they're a real fan because they paid a visit to the club shop pre-match.

The majority of people in this country match that description.

Jazzy wrote: »
    shoddy & lazy come back.

'real' is a term people give themselves to put themselves on a higher tier. they are the only ones putting themselves there, thats the important thing. it is also the first name of the worlds richest superhero/football team

You forgot to mention that we're 'so football' or 'level 12'.

That said, the arrival or yourself and CHD (and your hypersensitivity to how real or not people are) would suggest that the touch of lightheartedness that's characterized the thread thus far is now endangered.

Nobody is saying who is better than who. The theme is that football supporters by and large, tend to attend as many of their team's football matches as they can manage. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff. Like art lovers go to galleries or opera fans go to opera when possible.

It's not a LOI argument as there are plenty of EPL supporters contributing on both sides here.

I might add that I don't get over to United much. Haven't been for about two years. I have a kid and I support a club here which as a member's club takes up time and money. If somebody says I'm not as much of a supporter ax X, I won't throw a pissy fit: they're right. Fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yourself and CHD (and your hypersensitivity to how real or not people are)

and you're not?
    ich dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

A real fan is someone who has given up any and all hope of doing something with their own life and is quite happy to live thru others who for the most part wouldnt spit on them in the street if they were on fire

Well that would be the opinion of a lot of those who work in the game (and some of us who dont)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement