Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Real" Football Fan (Mod Note: #198, #237 and OP)

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This thread got humorous really fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

DSB wrote: »
    This thread got humorous really fast.

Careless use of the shocking word Real is like a bat signal of provocation. Tread carefully, kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

stovelid wrote: »
    Careless use of the shocking word Real is like a bat signal of provocation. Tread carefully, kids.

its more like by defining something you want everything else to be the opposite... i.e - fake. but sure, as i said, its only the ppl that put themselves on that pedestal that need it and i think thats the difference :)

Jazzy wrote: »
    its more like by defining something you want everything else to be the opposite... i.e - fake. but sure, as i said, its only the ppl that put themselves on that pedestal that need it and i think thats the difference :)

To be fair, thats a hell of alot of people all over the world who need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

93282762.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0C505728B7FED5E4A21955686EAEF39FF0F201C2FE8D00F33

Jesus Liverpool actually signed van Nistelrooy.:eek:

Rafa's looking a bit jaundiced there as well, hitting the bottle with all the stress lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Well this thread has turned a bit silly since I last posted.

Arguments about which athletes trained in Ireland , the LOI vs PL and so on ,

What a load on total nonsense

A true supporter follows their team through thick or thin , PL or league 2 ( or what ever they call it now a days )

Revel in the common love of footie , hate your rivals ( except when having a pint with them ! ) and enjoy the game

For gods sake I supported Kildare county ( RIP ) but because I didn't get to a game for a year did that stop me looking at the results no.

I SUPPORT and I am a FAN of Chelsea , I went to games for 20 years but now I don't ( because of personal circumstances ) does that mean I am not a fan

SO F'ing what ........ I am a fan always was always will be .........

BTW , Live footie is always better then TV , but beggers can't be choosers

To be fair, thats a hell of alot of people all over the world who need it.

isnt it? makes ya think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Up until the age of about 15, I was a mental United fan, would get genuinely upset when they lost, made a few trips over, depsite having a penny to my name etc etc. But as time has gone one I just don't have that passion any more. The way soccer has gone, the cheating that happens in every single game, the way money has totally corrupted it has meant that I find it hard to get excited about soccer. I'd still cheer United on and wish them well, but it all just seems a little hollow to me now.

My number one love is GAA, I just find it easier to emotionally invest myself in something thats local to me, that involves players that I grew up with, something that I truly feel is a part of me, a sport that as of yet has not been totally corrupted by the money men and cheats (though there have been worrying signs in recent years). Seeing my county play in a Munster Final or bridge a 50 year gap and get to an All Ireland final is a feeling I never could get from suppporting United, or ever have.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    For gods sake I supported Kildare county ( RIP ) but because I didn't get to a game for a year did that stop me looking at the results no.

This quote here sums up the whole thread.

For gods sake I supported Kildare county ( RIP ) but because I didn't get to a game for a year did that stop me looking at the results

Maybe not going along to the games of club that has an average attendance of 150-80 might have helped their RIP status along? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Maybe not going along to the games of club that has an average attendance of 150-80 might have helped their RIP status along? :D
    Are you drunk?

its like that time in the 80s where some child actually sacrificed himself to the ultimate warrior so that his power would flow through his veins and that he could beat hulk hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Whoa f'' ing WHOA

For a season I went to most home games of Kildare. I went to away games across the country (Cork / Athlone/ Dundalk ).

For personal reasons I couldn't go .....

Why do I have to justify myself ?

CHD wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

No.

For a season I went to most home games of Kildare. I went to away games across the country (Cork / Athlone/ Dundalk ).

I was joking, hence the smiley.

Although that's a distressing level of realness to be flaunting around here. Jazzy and CHD will be angered.

Whoa f'' ing WHOA

For personal reasons I couldn't go .....

Why do I have to justify myself ?

Eh you don't have to, you chose to.

I was joking, hence the smiley.

Although that's a distressing level of realness to be flaunting around here. Jazzy and CHD will be angered.
    What are you on about? Are you just trolling or trying to be funny or what?

What are you on about? Are you just trolling or trying to be funny or what?

I'm going with the flow of the thread as it's turned out.

The one that was actually serious enough until you and Jazzy got wind of it on your Real/Unreal micro-offence radars.

I'm going with the flow of the thread as it's turned out.

The one that was actually serious enough until you and Jazzy got wind of it on your Real/Unreal micro-offence radars.
    When did i claim to take offence? I was liking the thread as it made me laugh, but now i only kind of like it. Please leave the thread. Or keep talking crap, that is getting funny now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I cannot watch games at Fratton Park with the sound on because of that fucker and his bell :mad:

Homes games aren't too bad, because you can sit in another stand. the problem comes at away games where the ****er always seems to sit on front of me.

he smells as well so is offensive to at least three senses.

Please leave the thread.

??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

When did i claim to take offence? I was liking the thread as it made me laugh, but now i only kind of like it. Please leave the thread. Or keep talking crap, that is getting funny now too.
    Not as funny as an Irish guy following Chelsea though

ChelsLoyalKingBilly.jpg

Was waiting for you CiaranC. Always fun when you show up and make a fool of yourself!

Was waiting for you CiaranC. Always fun when you show up and make a fool of yourself!

Its really you making a fool of yourself to be fair.

Its really you making a fool of yourself to be fair.
    Yeah, cause the crap stovelid is spouting and posting a pointless pic are all great points.

• Advertisement

Yeah, cause the crap stovelid is spouting and posting a pointless pic are all great points.

As opposed to you who have gone 7 posts in this thread without even attempting to make a point?

As opposed to you who have gone 7 posts in this thread without even attempting to make a point?
    It has all been said hundreds of times before. Neither side ever budges and talks crap trying to make themselves better than the others, then someone will post a stupid pic that he thinks proves something. Why debate with such foolish things? I couldn't care less what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

So after nearly 300 posts, lets recap

Irish person following League of Ireland Club = Real Fan

Irish person following English Club he/she was 1) born in to, 2) has family from the place the club is located, or 3) has a strong connection with the place where the club is located = Real Fan, so long as they put in some sort of effort to go to some games.

Irish person following English Club that he/she has no connection with whatsoever and picked for no real reason other than the fact they are the "best", or one of the "best" = Not a real fan, but a Consumer.

It has all been said hundreds of times before. Neither side ever budges and talks crap trying to make themselves better than the others, then someone will post a stupid pic that he thinks proves something. Why debate with such foolish things? I couldn't care less what they think.

Then why post in it at all?

Then why post in it at all?

To derail it.

• Advertisement

someone will post a stupid pic that he thinks proves something.
    It proves that Irish people are so out of touch with wider football culture that they will actually support a team whose support base has long disliked them. They are oblivious to it, because they are too busy pretending to be football fans in pubs and living rooms many miles from Stamford Bridge.

CiaranC wrote: »
    It proves that Irish people are so out of touch with wider football culture that they will actually support a team whose support base has long disliked them. They are oblivious to it, because they are too busy pretending to be football fans in pubs and living rooms many miles from Stamford Bridge.
    You thinking you know more than me is the funny part.

You living in the past is the other funny part.

You thinking you are special because you support a Irish club is funny too.

I don't support the scum that followed Chelsea years ago, I support Chelsea Football Club.

I will leave this get back on topic now.

Just my opinion but I can't see how someone can be a Real fan if they don't attend some live games tbh.

You thinking you know more than me is the funny part.

You living in the past is the other funny part.

You thinking you are special because you support a Irish club is funny too.

I don't support the scum that followed Chelsea years ago, I support Chelsea Football Club.

I will leave this get back on topic now.
    Ive lived in Fulham, I am well versed in the opinions of Chelsea fans (actual ones, not plastic daytrippers), they are the same "scum" that followed Chelsea years ago and they have the same notions today. We are not "special because we support Irish clubs", we are football fans because we support local clubs we have a connection to instead of one picked arbitrarily and followed on TV, just like REAL football fans all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Not as funny as an Irish guy following Chelsea though

ChelsLoyalKingBilly.jpg

I've been to Chelsea a lot, I have seen them at fratton park a lot as well.

I know a lot of chelsea fans as well.

I have never seen that flag before, but then, I first went to Stamford Bridge around 20 years ago, after combat 18 became untrendy.

Stamford bridge is a very multicultural place these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

+1 this

BUT
    I still would not set foot in an old school Chelsea fan pub with an Irish accent even wearing a Chelsea shirt/scarf

Ive lived in Fulham, I am well versed in the opinions of Chelsea fans (actual ones, not plastic daytrippers), they are the same "scum" that followed Chelsea years ago and they have the same notions today. We are not "special because we support Irish clubs", we are football fans because we support local clubs we have a connection to instead of one picked arbitrarily and followed on TV, just like REAL football fans all over the world.

A few Celtic fans I know from Glasgow were at the Bridge a few years ago for a friendly and were given serious anti Irish abuse when getting off the bus and some Chelsea fans were singing some Famine song that Rangers sing.

Obviously a minority though and I'm sure the Celtic fans gave as good as they got.

The whole Celtic/Rangers thing always makes me laugh though. Guys singing rebel songs and when questioned haven't a clue what they are singing about :eek:

Sorry for straying OT mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A few Celtic fans I know from Glasgow were at the Bridge a few years ago for a friendly and were given serious anti Irish abuse when getting off the bus and some Chelsea fans were singing some Famine song that Rangers sing.

Obviously a minority though and I'm sure the Celtic fans gave as good as they got.

The whole Celtic/Rangers thing always makes me laugh though. Guys singing rebel songs and when questioned haven't a clue what they are singing about :eek:

Sorry for straying OT mods.

Celtic Fans provoked it really... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGsENm9Q4GI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Jaysus.
    People here talk as if a club is your family. Perhaps in some very rare cases, it is.
    But stop kidding yourselves; in the vast majority of cases, its just a business. Fun to support, sure, but why let it dictate your life ffs.

• Advertisement

38210k3clh4chsrl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nice to see that this thread has taken an all too familiar tone.

Kudos to those who spoiled it with cheap shots and petty digs at each other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement