Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No Junk Mail" Sticker

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a "No Junk Mail" Sticker. Anything to reduce the amount of rubbish i get in the door that goes straight to the recycling bin.

Thanks,
    RR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I made one for my parents. They were getting an unreal amount of junk mail, most sticking half out of the letter box just to let burglars know that the house was empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Where do you live ?

If you're in Dublin, there is a shop on Capel Street that makes signs and they have them for a couple of Euro.

I had one years ago and found them useless as most people delivering leaflets either don't understand it or couldn't give a sh!te.

Threats and violence sorted my junk mail problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Thanks for the replies. I'll prob have to avoid the threats and violence. I'll check out the sign place though.

THanks,
    RR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

for the sign to be effective it needs to be in at least 5 different languages ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

If you're in Dublin, Tuthills (sp) Newsagents in Liffey Valley and the Ashleaf SC have them for 1 euro each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The Council where I live send you a Welcome pack when you move into a new house/apartment :D

2175602221_8913143c7b.jpg

Perhaps Irish County Councils should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Don't think "no junk mail" has any legal standing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Used a cheap labeller to make mine, works 99% of the time.

The 'bogus clothes collectors' don’t seem to understand the sign and every now and then the odd piece of junk does come tru the letter box.

Whilst I have no way of returning the 'bogus clothes collectors' junk mail I do post back any other piece of junk mail to the companies directly, naturally with no stamp, mark it as 'IMPORTANT MAIL' and a nice little letter reminding them I don’t want their crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have this one, http://getgreen.ie/purchase-sticker.php and I have to say it woeks brilliantly. I got it from a rep selling door to door for €3 and havent looked back since. I still get the odd oen but nothing compared to what I used to get, as for the language, theres a few there so its widely understanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 daisy boo boo

RebelRebel wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a "No Junk Mail" Sticker. Anything to reduce the amount of rubbish i get in the door that goes straight to the recycling bin.

Thanks,
    RR
    you can buy in easons made up.around 5 euro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I have this one, http://getgreen.ie/purchase-sticker.php and I have to say it woeks brilliantly. I got it from a rep selling door to door for €3 and havent looked back since. I still get the odd oen but nothing compared to what I used to get, as for the language, theres a few there so its widely understanded.

Can't seem to purchase one of these stickers? How do you get one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Print it out & selotape = win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

3 options really

1) Abuse & threats - won't really work as they won't understand you or call guards

2) If it's a certain company sending stuff every week by mail and it doesn't have your name on it, go to a nice street empty of people and dump it, call the litter warden and have the company fined.

3) Disgusting but I'v heard it worked for a friend ( he claims ). If a company keeps sending you crap and they provide envelopes, put some dog doo in it and mail it back freepost. If they don't like recieving **** through the door from you, they'll soon stop sending you ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just used a Casio labeller I have and printed one out. If you don't have such a thing, just print it out on paper, cut it out and affix with sellotape. Worked for me like a dream almost immediately. The 'clothes collection' stickers still get pushed through at 5am though :mad:

The only thing is I don't get the free local paper either now. The stickers you get for free in Holland (see Craichoe's post above) allow for that possibility, i.e. no free advertising, but with the exception of free newspapers. The only problem with them in my experience was that the free paper distributors used to then insert the advertising stuff inside the newspaper and shove the whole thing through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

mad m wrote: »

I got mine door to door but I'm sure if you email them you can get details, their email is info@getgreen.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

yawn wrote: »

3) Disgusting but I'v heard it worked for a friend ( he claims ). If a company keeps sending you crap and they provide envelopes, put some dog doo in it and mail it back freepost. If they don't like recieving **** through the door from you, they'll soon stop sending you ****.

Evil, funny, but evil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭suzaane

mad m wrote: »
    Hey! they're great little stickers aren't they?
    You can get them in The Greenhouse in town, it's an eco shop! the shop is on st andrews street!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

An Post are delivering this sh1te are they not? Can you not remove yourself from junk mail list like you can in UK?
    With the Greens in govt, you'd think they'd do something GREEN that would actually be welcomed by everyone, instead of punishing motorists, industry and anyone who dares burn fossil fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,081 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

do you guys consider political leaflets to be junk mail?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Yes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Johnnymcg wrote: »

without a doubt yes, if I want information on a party then I will look for it myself.

Information from the referendum commission is different its impartial

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

So does anyone know if AnPost deliver this junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

gleep wrote: »
    So does anyone know if AnPost deliver this junk?

An Post will deliver anything they are given 'junk mail' wise that is. The postmen\women get 1c/2c per leaflet drop and I understand it can cover the price of a holiday for them every year.

So if I was you and you have a sneaky feeling it was the postman\woman dropping it in your door I'd post it back to the local sorting office with a nice return to sender all over it.

I stuck up a "no junk mail/no unsolicited mail" notice on my parents' house and that was the end of the crap. No more dominos pizza leaflets/Lidl/anything else. I just printed one of the internet, stuck it in a plastic pocket and taped to the letter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

http://dublinwaste.ie/How_to_block_junk_mail.html

The Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) are able to stop junk mail from arriving at your home. There are two ways of doing this.

Firstly you can click on the link below and download the a Mail Preference Form. Simply print off this form and complete with your information.

Download: MAILING PREFERENCE SERVICE FORM to Block Junk Mail

Then simply send it back in the post, free of charge, to the following address:

Mailing Preference Service,
    P.O. Box 5609,
    FREEPOST,
    Dublin 4

Alternatively, or if you can not download the form, you can ring the Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) directly on 01- 8304752. They will send a Mailing Preference Form out in the post and once this is completed and returned your name will be removed from their database of which serves approximately 280 companies. The MPS form only covers mail originating in Ireland.

For other companies which are not members of the IDMA or for mail originating outside of Ireland it is more difficult to put a stop to junk mail. You can write to the individual companies as they are legally obliged to respond and remove your name from their database within 40 days.

© Dublinwaste.ie all rights reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Scamp- wrote: »

Only works for personalised mail. I don't really consider that junk as they had to get your name from somewhere so you must have ticked a box allowing it. You can also get it stopped by direct contact with the company, may take a bit of work though.

It's the crap with no name or "Dear Resident" that needs stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,081 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cabaal wrote: »
    without a doubt yes, if I want information on a party then I will look for it myself.

Information from the referendum commission is different its impartial
    Interesting, anyone else have an opinion?
    And also if the referendum commission was hand delivering leaflets, should they go to your door or not?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 laobhaise

Del2005 wrote: »

It's the crap with no name or "Dear Resident" that needs stopping.

i've just moved into a terraced house, having previously lived in apt complex. i'm truely ANNOYED with the amount of crap coming through my letterbox. this morning alone there was 13 leaflets, many doubles of the same thing. yesterday morning i heard the leafleter and stopped him and gave him them back.
    i must get a 'no junk sign' but there should be a local law that requires companies to have a permit to distribute leaflets only to households which agree to recieve them. I am writing letter to dublin council to complain (not that i expect a response) and maybe local green TD (must find out who this is).
    also, does anyone know who actually set up getgreen.ie, there is no 'about us' page on the website which is a bit weird. all is says is its a charity..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There are a number of companies who do this (rather than An Post). BTW, I do work for An Post, but there are also a lot more companies who deliver more

Advertisement