Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No Junk Mail" Sticker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Interesting, anyone else have an opinion?
    And also if the referendum commission was hand delivering leaflets, should they go to your door or not?

I also think that policital leaflets are junk - like Cabaal I'll go look for information if I want it. Coming up to elections a quick glance at a single lamppost will usually tell you the name and party of every single bloody politician in a 50 mile radius. Coming home to a letter box full of the same crap is just irritating.

Referendum information is impartial, and easy to understand. I cannot figure out what added benefit I would receive by having someone ringing my doorbell to hand it to me, unless they were planning on reading it to me in a neutral tone of voice. It might possibly help the illiterate or blind, but that's a pretty small percentage of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

From a postmans point of view we have to deliver all mail including junk.When you have four pieces of junk plus real mail to deliver to everyones house our day is not easy and the extra monies for junk has not changed in 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

From a postmans point of view we have to deliver all mail including junk.When you have four pieces of junk plus real mail to deliver to everyones house our day is not easy and the extra monies for junk has not changed in 6 years.

You should go on a work to rule till they up the pay for dropping junk through peoples letter boxes. That's about the only work to rule I'd support:D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

At my house this morning I had a lad drop a leaflet in my mailbox which is at the side.I went out to get the item only to find that the youth had just pissed against my gate.When confronted all he said was he did not speak english and just walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

At my house this morning I had a lad drop a leaflet in my mailbox which is at the side.I went out to get the item only to find that the youth had just pissed against my gate.When confronted all he said was he did not speak english and just walked away.

What a little ****er

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭TheGobb

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Used a cheap labeller to make mine, works 99% of the time.

The 'bogus clothes collectors' don’t seem to understand the sign and every now and then the odd piece of junk does come tru the letter box.

Whilst I have no way of returning the 'bogus clothes collectors' junk mail I do post back any other piece of junk mail to the companies directly, naturally with no stamp, mark it as 'IMPORTANT MAIL' and a nice little letter reminding them I don’t want their crap.
    is that legal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TheGobb wrote: »
    is that legal

I've not heard of anything to suggest it is, is it legal for them to keep dumping stuff in your home that you have to pay for to get rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What's the benefit of purchasing one over making one yourself? Just type it up and print it out laike, easy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

is that legal

Oh yes 100%.

The sign says no junk mail - if you put junk in your going to get junk back ten fold.

It's my way of fighting the war :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

is that legal

Yes, you can send a mail with no stamp. It means that the receiver will bear the cost of the postage instead.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Yes, you can send a mail with no stamp. It means that the receiver will bear the cost of the postage instead.

So if we all returned junk mail to senders they'd soon get the message.

All this junk mail WE are paying to be recycled, if we don’t want it we shouldn’t have to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

a sign like that will probably ensure youo get twice as muh junk as everyone who says nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

craichoe wrote: »
    The Council where I live send you a Welcome pack when you move into a new house/apartment :D

2175602221_8913143c7b.jpg

Perhaps Irish County Councils should do the same.

I have family living in the Netherlands, and I can remember them once saying that if a distributor doesn't follow the guidelines on the sticker, you can report them, or the company doing the advertising (i.e. Dominos etc) and there can be fines involved. On another note, even if you have opted to receive no leaflets, some civic & political stuff will still come through your door. The likes of referendum commission booklets, or stuff to do with local government, info on civic building projects etc.

delllat wrote: »
    a sign like that will probably ensure youo get twice as muh junk as everyone who says nothing

Even more to send back to the morans who cant read my sign :)

So if we all returned junk mail to senders they'd soon get the message.
    +1
    All this junk mail WE are paying to be recycled, if we don’t want it we shouldn’t have to accept it.
    +1 exactly. we have to pay to have recycle taken and should have a choic e about it. i am sending back an envelope stuffed with my garbage today to a local company

There should be a law about it because people are being left vulnerable to robbery when mail sticking out of letterboxes is flagging folk no one is home. there should also be a law against them f8888ers going around early with the old clothes scam. they have an excuse to be in people yards at 5 am. we should not have to accept that from what are criminals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

+1

+1 exactly. we have to pay to have recycle taken and should have a choic e about it. i am sending back an envelope stuffed with my garbage today to a local company

There should be a law about it because people are being left vulnerable to robbery when mail sticking out of letterboxes is flagging folk no one is home. there should also be a law against them f8888ers going around early with the old clothes scam. they have an excuse to be in people yards at 5 am. we should not have to accept that from what are criminals

u should 1 piece at a time,it gives them much more work to do than an envelope jammed with assorted junk

also take advantage of the fact that some comps send u a free envelope to use for this very purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

craichoe wrote: »
    The Council where I live send you a Welcome pack when you move into a new house/apartment :D

2175602221_8913143c7b.jpg

Perhaps Irish County Councils should do the same.

Have the same and translated them in english and put them upfront the window
    made one too for no door sales

• Registered Users Posts: 26,418 ✭✭✭✭noodler

May I ask your postcode?

I live in D5 and a cul de sac. About a month ago an Asian lad was delivering leaflets for a well-know pizza chain and I noticed that he hadn't left my door. So I opened the door to find him also having a p**** on our sidegate. I tore the little guy a new one and warned him against coming back.

Have the same and translated them in english and put them upfront the window
    made one too for no door sales
    how did you translate them. do you mean made your own sticker based on that?

Originally Posted by manna452121 viewpost.gif From a postmans point of view we have to deliver all mail including junk..
    People can opt out of junk mail if its addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

People can opt out of junk mail if its addressed.

Vast majority of junk mail however has
    - No specific name and address
    - Has just the "The Resident"

You can't opt out of these and An Post won't stop delivery as they make a fortune from them, its some joke.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Vast majority of junk mail however has
    - No specific name and address
    - Has just the "The Resident"

You can't opt out of these and An Post won't stop delivery as they make a fortune from them, its some joke.
    An Post told me thayb are obliged to deliver 'the resident' one but they do not deliver no address one to me

An Post told me thayb are obliged to deliver 'the resident' one but they do not deliver no address one to me

Ah the good old 'the resident' letter :)

NTL / UPC are the biggest culprits here - might I recomend the following action:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752178

Ah the good old 'the resident' letter :)

NTL / UPC are the biggest culprits here - might I recomend the following action:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752178
    I did not get NTL or UPC, got an Opel car one once and some other one the resident one is not to much problem with me and an post do not give me unaddressed mail. Mostly it is the private companies who sometime leave it sticking out of the letterbox

I did not get NTL or UPC, got an Opel car one once and some other one the resident one is not to much problem with me and an post do not give me unaddressed mail. Mostly it is the private companies who sometime leave it sticking out of the letterbox

Lucky you - once NTL get their hooks into you they never let go - hence the 'return to sender' war that's going on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

noodler wrote: »
    May I ask your postcode?

I live in D5 and a cul de sac. About a month ago an Asian lad was delivering leaflets for a well-know pizza chain and I noticed that he hadn't left my door. So I opened the door to find him also having a p**** on our sidegate. I tore the little guy a new one and warned him against coming back.

The dirty little backstards. That would make me mad as hell. :mad:

I'm glad I live out the sticks and don't have to put up with that kind of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

noodler wrote: »
    May I ask your postcode?

Should have made him eat his leaflets after you peed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've just been thinking, does the Political exemption from Direct Mailing opt-outs cover direct leafleting by political canvassers and the likes?

I don't mind political leaflets personally, I throw them out easily enough and there's the odd leaflet that's not "Vote X No.1". E.g. the likes of a consultation on something or other (usually bus routes, major planning applications in the area etc) or the guides to local services that are handed out. What do you folks make of the less overt political flyers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

bump

... Fella on radio limerick yesterday says he will deliver a No junk mail sign to your house for a fiver anywhere in the city...said his name was dermot Hickey :D said something about PM as well not so sure, something about he will leave his number there for you. High quality vinyl see through lasts 7 years and gets rid of the buggers too... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I wouldn't bother disturbing him. For the price he's charging for one sticker I could make up my own with a laser printer and clear contact adhesive sheet, and still have a couple of dozen to spare in case they start to peel off over winter.;) It will have the same guaranteed effect as any other sticker too (i.e. none).

Advertisement