Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Thigh Fillets

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am trying to source a butchers/store that sell or can do chicken thigh fillets. It seems to be a rare cut as I do not know of any butchers near my area (5 or 6 of them) who sell them. The only place I have been able to get them is in Tesco - Dundrum Town centre. They don't stock much of them either so it's a bit hit and miss.

Does anyone know of a place? Preferably City Centre or South.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Just buy chicken oysters and debone them. It's very simple. Only one bone running through the middle. A sharp knife and its easy to remove. Can buy a big enough packet for about €2-€4 in Dunnes/Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Just buy chicken oysters and debone them. It's very simple. Only one bone running through the middle. A sharp knife and its easy to remove. Can buy a big enough packet for about €2-€4 in Dunnes/Tesco

Haha I've obviously thought of that but it comes down to pure laziness and convenience :p

I'll also need to get a better knife :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ask your butcher for chicken thighs & get him to take it off the bone.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Ask your butcher for chicken thighs & get him to take it off the bone.

I think there's two butchers on Camden St. (out of 5) that do chicken legs so I might give it a go. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

obsydion wrote: »
    Haha I've obviously thought of that but it comes down to pure laziness and convenience
    And you have to get rid of the skin & bone, quite messy, esp. if you do not get bins collected often. My mother freezes stuff like that and dumps it in the bin on collection day.

Dunnes cournelscourt had them a while ago, they were more expensive than chicken fillets so I never bought them nor looked again -so not sure if they still have them. I will check my tesco next time I am in, they did have them cheap before but I have not noticed them recently.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    And you have to get rid of the skin & bone, quite messy, esp. if you do not get bins collected often. My mother freezes stuff like that and dumps it in the bin on collection day.

Dunnes cournelscourt had them a while ago, they were more expensive than chicken fillets so I never bought them nor looked again -so not sure if they still have them. I will check my tesco next time I am in, they did have them cheap before but I have not noticed them recently.

Great idea about the freezing but yes, can get very messy.

Cornelscourt is a bit far for me to travel for chicken thighs (as much as I love to cook with them), going down to Dundrum was far enough for me (I live in Ranelagh). I really hope I can find a butcher to do it for me on the cheap, that would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

obsydion wrote: »
    Haha I've obviously thought of that but it comes down to pure laziness and convenience :p

I'll also need to get a better knife :(

Use a scissors! A good kitchen scissors is cheap to buy and an absolute must for de-boning chicken, just clean well afterwards, diswasher etc.

I always buy chicken thighs to make boneless chicken wings for the OH who hates bones but loves the spicy taste! A scissors halves the time and messiness.
    It's also good for dicing chicken bewbs, or dicing stewing steak etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eviledna wrote: »
    Use a scissors! A good kitchen scissors is cheap to buy and an absolute must for de-boning chicken, just clean well afterwards, diswasher etc.

I always buy chicken thighs to make boneless chicken wings for the OH who hates bones but loves the spicy taste! A scissors halves the time and messiness.
    It's also good for dicing chicken bewbs, or dicing stewing steak etc.

Eh, wouldn't they be boneless chicken thighs??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Typo :pac:

Although tbh using a scissors to de-bone a wing would not be worth the hassle for the tiny amount of meat on them!

I guess I meant "sticky chicken" rather than chicken wings.

the Beer revolu, you are sure are on the ball today!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Tesco in D15 currently stock boneless chicken thighs. 3euro for a pack of 6.

I hate having to remove bone+skin from thighs as it is messy and indeed time consuming. As other posters said, if you are prepared to do a big batch when you have the energy and freeze casserole size portions that can save hassle when you are so not in the mood.

Feeding a family on a budget, so casseroles are the order of the day in my house.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GStormcrow wrote: »
    We obviously have a different opinion of what chicken oysters are.
    I've never seen them for sale on their own, nor with bones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

They are on sale in Tesco in DUndrum at the mo - €4 for 6 chicken thigh fillets, deboned and rolled.

Advertisement