Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free baking

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a brownie recipe that I love. Seems to make them just right, the right amount of chewy and soft, etc. A friend of mine has cut gluten out of his diet recently.

I want to make these brownies again, but don't want him to be left out! The recipe itself only calls for 100g of flour.

Does anyone have any experience of gluten free baking, and can you suggest an alternative? I've done a bit of googling and it seems that people are talking about having to add lots of other things (like guar gum) to substitute for the gluten. Is there a prepack mix available that I could just use 100 grams of?

I'd appreciate any help, as I haven't really done any gluten free baking, and don't want to ruin a batch :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 emmahugs

Hi Kila
    Im a coeliac myself so all my baking is done gluten-free. Most reciepes are easily changed by replacing the flour with a gluten-free alternative. I use Doves Rice Flour for most things, which you can get in the gluten free section in most Tesco stores and also health food shops.

Be careful if you are using baking powder in your recipe though as it might not be GF. Although you can get an alternative in Tesco too in the baking aisle.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Does the rice flour change the consistency of the food much?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 emmahugs

The gluten acts like a glue to hold everything together, so without it your brownies may be a bit more crumbly!
    Try adding 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum to the mixture when you are adding the flour, it does the same thing as gluten!

Good Luck!

Advertisement