Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop can get internet, PC cannot!

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone help me with this?

My laptop can receive wireless internet, but since Saturday morning, the home PC cannot access the internet.

In Network Connections, 'Internet Gateway'' says that it is connected.

However, there is another connection that says ''connecting through WAN miniport'', and then it fails after every connection attempt.

Both the laptop and the PC were working fine up until last friday, there were no access problems.

I have tried all of the cables in the modem, router and PC. They are all fine.

Can anyone help me fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Need more details to help you...os type, make and model of wireless adapter and modem, what encryption you are using etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Need more details to help you...os type, make and model of wireless adapter and modem, what encryption you are using etc.

Linksys Wireless G router.
    Modem is by Airspan, my broadband is with Last Mile.
    The PC is windows XP.
    Don't know about the encryption, not really good at this stuff, how could I find that out?

Thanks for the help mate, appreciate it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Try turning off your antivirus and firewall and see if that makes any difference.

Sometimes an update on one of these can make a mess of things.

Hey mate, tried both of those things, made no difference. Really at a loss now.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I have a similar problem.

p.c. is windows XP, UPC broadband, Cisco EPC2425 router,WPA security,Mentor 802.11g USB adapter.

I can see the wireless network (along with others), when I connect it asks for password and then just times out on trying to connect.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I was advised to reset my router.So I did it.
    But now I cannot set up the router at all, and the laptop cannot access the web either.

I can see the wireless network, and it says that it is connected. However, the local area connection says that a netork cable is unplugged.

The router cannot be set up properly now either, because it says that I need to check my ethernet adaptor.

But all my cables are fitted correctly. The router is only a month old.

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I got a new USB adapter and installed that with new drivers. Everything connects fine now. Might be the same problem for you ?

Advertisement