Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pinhole Photography

• 30-11-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Ok So I'm in need of a project and I'm thinking of doing some pinhole work,

But having never done this before I was wondering if anyone has any tips?

Like what exactly do you need? and where's the best place to get the bits and bobs either in dublin or online?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

Film I think, but I've no idea where to start, cheers for the links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, the best thing you can do with pinhole photography is use as large a medium as you can - Which makes film the more accessible option - If you don't want to invest too much, but still want to buy, rather than make a camera, have a look at the Holga and Diana pinholes. It also means you'll be able to roll on the film and drop it into a lab to develop it, rather than do it yourself (Unless you want to do that.) It all really depends on what you have availible to yourself.

If you're looking for some examples, this is the pinhole I've used on my digital SLR body;

1934750088_bbf0e7344c.jpg

And this is the basic result;

2079581856_4d23ff373a.jpg

It's just a little bit too much out of focus at times though.

If you're looking at medium format, you'll be looking at a somewhat more detailed image;

3341729450_11b96d305e.jpg

Then, large format really is king :)

Here's my 4 x 5 in action with a Polaroid back;

2604392813_c7662b63d2.jpg

And some results;

3073992005_dc462f5e03.jpg

3322296251_138e802cac_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

great shots, well actually won't mind making one just not sure where to start? Like is it possible to do at home without a darkroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's possible to make them alright, but a bit time consuming. Get yourself a suitable box - I picked up a really nice cigar box at the flea market off Cork St last year. If you're not going to have a darkroom availible, the handiest compromise between size and ease of use will be medium format (120 film).

There's some handy guides here for sizes and apertures; http://www.mrpinhole.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

These are some pinhole shots from an old Nikon D1 that I got for €100. I did what Fajitas has said with the simple pinhole tough the body cap.
    The smaller and cleaner your pinhole the sharper your results will be. Again with the bigger format (medium format film) you'll get better results again.

The simple pinhole in a body cap is the easiest route to take.

3746308487_1a2698d3ec_b.jpg

Advertisement