Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's needed in Drogheda?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

What do you think are the major needs of Drogheda in terms of a boost to the town's economy?
    Are you recently graduated or unemployed? What would you like to put in place to give you a kick start on the road to a career, financial security and job satisfaction?
    What is not helping the current trend of purchasing consumer goods up North? (apart from exchange rate/higher prices, anything retailers/businesses not doing?)
    Are you attempting to self-start a business? Any help available or are you running into difficulties?
    Basically what changes would you like to see made in Drogheda to improve your situation, your family's, your community's?

I'm just doing some research for a online course I'm doing and I'm using Drogheda as the basis for my project so any insight people could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

We could do with a Pizza Hut!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

bob_loblaw wrote: »
    What do you think are the major needs of Drogheda in terms of a boost to the town's economy?
    Are you recently graduated or unemployed? What would you like to put in place to give you a kick start on the road to a career, financial security and job satisfaction?
    What is not helping the current trend of purchasing consumer goods up North? (apart from exchange rate/higher prices, anything retailers/businesses not doing?)
    Are you attempting to self-start a business? Any help available or are you running into difficulties?
    Basically what changes would you like to see made in Drogheda to improve your situation, your family's, your community's?

I'm just doing some research for a online course I'm doing and I'm using Drogheda as the basis for my project so any insight people could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Drogheda is one of the oldest towns in Ireland and has lots to offer tourists . But yet it has little or no tourist industry ? Why hasnt this industry been built and exploited a lot more over the years .We have even relegated our tourist office to the back lanes so it has to be searched for .There has been talk of putting it in the tholsel right in the heart of the town for the last couple of years , but nothing has happened yet . We are in a great spot along the east coast with great transport services to both Dublin and Belfast , close to the airport , newgrange is on our doorstep , as is the boyne valley , battle of the boyne site , melifont , beaches like termonfeckin , clogherhead and laytown , mornington etc on the other side of the boyne . A short spin north your in carlingford and the cooleys etc .Lots of shopping , art galleries , theatres , good pubs and restauraunts etc .The failure of Drogheda borough council down the years speaks volumes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Jobs Jobs and more Jobs is what Drogheda needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Drogheda is one of the oldest towns in Ireland and has lots to offer tourists . But yet it has little or no tourist industry ? Why hasnt this industry been built and exploited a lot more over the years .We have even relegated our tourist office to the back lanes so it has to be searched for .There has been talk of putting it in the tholsel right in the heart of the town for the last couple of years , but nothing has happened yet . We are in a great spot along the east coast with great transport services to both Dublin and Belfast , close to the airport , newgrange is on our doorstep , as is the boyne valley , battle of the boyne site , melifont , beaches like termonfeckin , clogherhead and laytown , mornington etc on the other side of the boyne . A short spin north your in carlingford and the cooleys etc .Lots of shopping , art galleries , theatres , good pubs and restauraunts etc .The failure of Drogheda borough council down the years speaks volumes :rolleyes:

Agree 100%. It's really astonishing that Drogheda has never taken advantage of the 5 billion euro that tourism brings into the economy every year. The locality has as much (if not more) to offer tourists as any other part of the country, but the mismanagement of the town over the years has probably put paid to the chances of ever recovering a local industry of any significance.

West Street is probably the most depressing main street in the country - too many supermarkets, banks, pharmacies etc. and not enough shops to draw people in. The town centre should have been redeveloped and the Laurences Street should have been the only new shopping centre. It would have kept everything centralised and left West Street as the heartland of Drogheda. Shop Street in Galway is a good example of how it should be done.

I think the ease of access to and from Dublin (a world famous city) will probably make it impossible for Drogheda to take any kind of share of the market now.

Back on topic.

Drogheda badly needs a second train station. I believe there once was one around the Newfoundwell Road??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I think it needs more Guards less scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

.We have even relegated our tourist office to the back lanes so it has to be searched for

Couldnt agree more and for years this has baffled me, we have so much on our doorstep and the only tourist office in the town is way off the beaten track. I'd love to see a really nice, accessible Tourist Office in the town centre - ideally the Tholsel (but apparently they dont have the funds for this!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I believe there once was one around the Newfoundwell Road??

Many many moons ago. At the top of 'the witches' ( where forest park now lies ), used to be a lane there and the top of it where the gate meets the tracks was known as 'the witches'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

It would be nice to see a manufacturing plant opening for business instead of closing, l believe IFF was the last factory in town and now its gone (or soon to be gone)

CPL 593H

Advertisement