Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Two big sticky threads called 'Myths' might be good. Each exploded myth would backed up by scientific evidence and it would be against the charter to promote these myths as fact. There's another thread where someone wanted to lose fat from her arms; one poster told her that she should do 60 curls a day for two weeks and he "guaranteed" she would see results then. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Tremelo wrote: »
    Two big sticky threads called 'Myths' might be good. Each exploded myth would backed up by scientific evidence and it would be against the charter to promote these myths as fact. There's another thread where someone wanted to lose fat from her arms; one poster told her that she should do 60 curls a day for two weeks and he "guaranteed" she would see results then. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Agree completely. One for exercise, one for nutrition. Although we could end up with a load of stickies. Maybe a post in the Basics sticky?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Agreed, if nothing else it would be one helluva thread all of us trying to agree on the same myths! :D

But definitely some I think we could agree off the bat:

Those 'weight loss' teas, can you tell that cho-yung bollix thread is annoying me? :)

As rocky said eating 5 small meals a day is not necessary - unless you have a serious problem with your adrenal glands.

In a way I sort of understand the 'not eating after 6pm' one, the evening is the time that most people eat naughty snacks, if it helps them curtail it then that's fair enough, but it could be highlighted that's probably the only reason.

That you need to limit eggs in any way for health reasons.

That spreads are somehow better for you than butter, mostly they have the same cals!

That those CLA tablets will make you lose weight in anything except your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

nyom nyom

img69711.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Arrrgh ate 3800 calories yesterday, 250g protein and lost 200g weight overnight! :( which is 200g lost from 1 week ago with 3060 calories/day average.

More poppy seeds cake I think :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

recipe pleeze!

I have been making microwave muffins - 1 egg, 2 tbls ground almonds (any fine flour - sometimes i use oatbran), tlbs cocoa powder, tbls dessicated coconut, tsp baking powder, tsp xylitol (or any sweetner or sugar etc), a little essence of your choice (vanilla, orange essence, lemon essence etc), im using orange essence, finally a square or two of dark chocolate chopped up and add 2-3tbls water and mix all the ingredients together and pop in the microwave for 2min.

I mix all the ingredients in a bowl or straight sided coffee cup.

A light, fluffy muffin comes out - let a spoon of peanut butter melt over it and enjoy. Yum yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

F*ck ya just figured out THE BEST way to eat pudding, fry slices up in butter, then top with pesto, loads of basil basil leaves and thick slices of fresh tomato. Stick under the grill to get the tomatoe cooked a bit and throw on a load of stinky blue cheese. Then stick back under the grill just long enough for the cheese to melt. Boo-ya!

Sounds good! I hate blue cheese with a passion though.

Just experimenting with gluten free bread making, best so far is potato flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum and yeast (+ little xylitol to feed the yeast). Came out pretty good. Ate two slices with butter. Tested my blood sugar 2 hrs later.. 9.1...eek! Looks like I'll have to shelve that recipe. :(

Sounds good! I hate blue cheese with a passion though.

Just experimenting with gluten free bread making, best so far is potato flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum and yeast (+ little xylitol to feed the yeast). Came out pretty good. Ate two slices with butter. Tested my blood sugar 2 hrs later.. 9.1...eek! Looks like I'll have to shelve that recipe. :(

Uuugh gluten-free bread making is just way to complicated, I just stick to simple old almond flour recipes!

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Uuugh gluten-free bread making is just way to complicated, I just stick to simple old almond flour recipes!

Almond flour tastes weird though, plus trying to keep the aul' omega 6 down.

Having said the above have been sort of low carb for the last few days, so that may have unduly influenced the results. Will eat more carbs for a few days and measure again. Damn tasty though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

How much protein in this feast?

;)

Over 9.000!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

What was I thinking buying the unflavoured Green Pastures Butter Oil/FCLO blend gel???? Can barely swallow the stuff it is so gag-tastic. Anyone any ideas on how to get myself to take it???

What was I thinking buying the unflavoured Green Pastures Butter Oil/FCLO blend gel???? Can barely swallow the stuff it is so gag-tastic. Anyone any ideas on how to get myself to take it???

It is pretty bad alright, I did find the results were worth it though so I stuck to it. Mixing up with some tuna helped with a squeeze of lemon juice on top.

Makes the skin glow after a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

It is pretty bad alright, I did find the results were worth it though so I stuck to it. Mixing up with some tuna helped with a squeeze of lemon juice on top.

Makes the skin glow after a few days!
    Thanks for the tip. Will defo keep with it, especially since each bottle cost something like 50 quid! Bought a flavoured one too so hopefully that isn't as rank.....

Any one fancy talking some sense to me... tell me something interesting and logical, my brain is frazzled from all the nonsense popping up here lately :D

Haha, don't worry, these types of posters pass in and out every once in a while. All talk and zero knowledge. I can't help but wonder if our new location is going to encourage this kind of carry-on. Where's metamorphosis to sort out this nonsense? We need his level headedness right now!

What you upto anyway? I'm drinking champagne while doing some binary logistic regression on my dataset for my thesis. So far NOT a great combo!

Ha I didn't even notice the new location! I know, the really annoying thing is they once you mention carbs everyone assumes your an Atkins fanatic :rolleyes:

Man your thesis sounds rough, good idea with the champagne. I on the other hand got let go from my job yesterday (don't worry, I hated it anyway) so I have spent the whole glorious day making fashion editorials on Polyvore and drawing designs for a skirt I'm going to be making next week (aside from winding up people on this forum ;)). I got myself a lovely new notebook for drawing designs and sticking bit of fabrics and trims in, it's lots of fun. Guess who got a sewing machine for christmas :D

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Ha I didn't even notice the new location! I know, the really annoying thing is they once you mention carbs everyone assumes your an Atkins fanatic :rolleyes:

Man your thesis sounds rough, good idea with the champagne. I on the other hand got let go from my job yesterday (don't worry, I hated it anyway) so I have spent the whole glorious day making fashion editorials on Polyvore and drawing designs for a skirt I'm going to be making next week (aside from winding up people on this forum ;)). I got myself a lovely new notebook for drawing designs and sticking bit of fabrics and trims in, it's lots of fun. Guess who got a sewing machine for christmas :D

Congratulations! I left my job I hated last year and it's the best thing I ever did. Love my work now, there really is no better feeling.

Happy sowing! looking forward to seeing some of your creations on the blog!

Ya it's an amazingly liberating feeling. I'm toying with going back to college and/or starting a business in the near(ish) future so I've lots of exciting ideas buzzing around my head and having spare time to develop them is just what I need. Sucky jobs suck so bad it's not even funny, especially doing the sort of hours I was. I'm too self-absorbed to work that hard for someone else :D
    How's the thesis going, far in? You seem to be working very consistently with it!

• Advertisement

Haha, don't worry, these types of posters pass in and out every once in a while. All talk and zero knowledge. I can't help but wonder if our new location is going to encourage this kind of carry-on. Where's metamorphosis to sort out this nonsense? We need his level headedness right now!

What you upto anyway? I'm drinking champagne while doing some binary logistic regression on my dataset for my thesis. So far NOT a great combo!

Me, level headed! haha

Binary logistic regression - reminds me, for some reason, of what Scully from the X-Files would be doing on a Friday evening :D

You're really an FBI agent aren't you?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

*shuffles in looking for something to troll*

:pac:

*shuffles in looking for something to troll*

:pac:

Shoo - go away:pac:

Is that your stomach rumbling? Go eat a pizza, make you right sleepy, then have a stella. Then go train tomorrow and complain about something going wrong.

Shoo - go away:pac:

Is that your stomach rumbling? Go eat a pizza, make you right sleepy, then have a stella. Then go train tomorrow and complain about something going wrong.

I'm barely drinking these days, just realised there it's been like a month since i went out.

Can't train and drink. Doesn't work.

Especially if you lack any real structure at all!

Some guy yesterday goes, "Can i have some of whatever you're on?"

I just looked at him and goes "pizza?"

LMAO :pac:

Ahh nice bit of off topic-ness to take the edge of all the BS floating around here lately, nice one!

Nut and Diet people don't know how to use an OT thread.

It's a scientifically proven fact(oid).

51ylK23zCEL._SS500_.jpg

Now, can somebody

a) Tell me how many WW points in one of the above shoes?

and

b) buy me a pair.

Me, level headed! haha

Binary logistic regression - reminds me, for some reason, of what Scully from the X-Files would be doing on a Friday evening :D

You're really an FBI agent aren't you?!

LOL, no, just a stressed student who's trying to blag a masters!

Thesis going not so well though, preliminary statistical analysis done and well, not much coming out of it. I now understand the motivation of scientists to torture the data to get the result you thought would come up. Must. not. cross. to the darkside.. :p

I know we're boring little nerdlings really :D

• Advertisement

No, we do, we just happen to be extreme nerds, and also have no life.:pac:

Advertisement