Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Olives make baby jesus cry ..

and ruin the enjoyment of my dinner

Cooked olives, yes. Fresh, uncooked, good quality olives, no.

I'll never forget being a 7 year old and flying over to the US, and along came our meal from the air hostess. All I can remember is we got some sort of salad, with what I thought were black grapes. And I loved my grapes. One big bite later and I was in tears! Not the best introduction to olives!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

My local African/Asian shop was out of coconut oil last week so I decided to give palm oil a try. It's another tropical oil but doesn't seem to get as much attention as coconut oil. I read up a bit on it since so thought I might as well share my research!

Anyway turns out it is very rich in nutrients like CoQ10 and carotenes and Vitamin E so I think I'm going to keep it as part of my diet as a change from coconut oil now and then. The unrefined oil has a strong colour and a distinctive smell and taste, which was offputting at first but I got used to it quickly. Definitely not suitable for every dish though since it will turn it red/yellow.

Note: in Southeast Asia, there are serious environmental issues around palm oil with rainforests being destroyed and species closer to extinction, so check the source before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Actually speaking of coconut oil, has anyone else noticed that shops tend to be sold out of it recently? I tried 3 places which usually do virgin coconut oil and they were all out, although some had the refined stuff. I think it has become very popular lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

rocky wrote: »
    You'd think a majority of people on this board have lactose and gluten intolerance. Anyone else like their breads, mascarpone, ricotta and full fat milk ?

And I'm eating my words 3 months later.

Cutting out gluten grains had a big improvement on my knee pain; Haven't noticed before because getting rid of coffee and coke had beneficial effects also...

I abstained from eating cottage cheese for a week and I saw no further improvements, so dairy is back !!

Eating the Lidl greek style yogurt by the bucketload :) And baking my own gluten-free bread.

• Advertisement

I wish i had gotten into IF sooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Low carb flu sucks.

I forgot how annoying it is.

and sapsarrow has crawled where?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rocky wrote: »
    And I'm eating my words 3 months later.

Cutting out gluten grains had a big improvement on my knee pain; Haven't noticed before because getting rid of coffee and coke had beneficial effects also...

I abstained from eating cottage cheese for a week and I saw no further improvements, so dairy is back !!

Eating the Lidl greek style yogurt by the bucketload :) And baking my own gluten-free bread.

Equally rocky I wish I discovered sooner I could eat potato, white rice and still eat a bunch of fat and not gain weight. :)

Paella is on the stove right now. MMMMMM!

Where is sapsorrow? I was in the English market in Cork last week and was so jealous that there's no equivalant in Galway.

OOOOHHHH NNOOOOOOOOO!!

:(:(:(

Oh whatever you do don't tax the junk food, the refined sugar, the crappy deep fried stuff.. you know the stuff that obese people DO overeat.

Tiny tiny ray of hope in the article:
    "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition contends that there is no correlation between intake of saturated fats and cardiovascular diseases. The tax penalises people, such as the elderly and children, who have high nutritional needs," claims Mejeriforeningen policy director Kirsten Holm Svendsen.

Although she's from the dairy industry so is not gonna be taken as an unbiased source.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh whatever you do don't tax the junk food, the refined sugar, the crappy deep fried stuff.. you know the stuff that obese people DO overeat.

That's mad altogether, taxing meat and Butter :eek:

However the article says there is already a tax in Place on Sugarred food and Confectionary

"During recent years Finland and Denmark have introduced taxes on sugared products such as soft drinks, ice cream and chocolate. A saturated fat tax is a logical next step," says Jyrki Katainen, Finland's finance minister.

I wanted to post about the 2,000 year old bog butter found in Galway:

http://ancientfoods.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/butter-in-bog-may-be-2500-years-old/
    “It would have been a substantial loss to the family that buried the butter in the bog that they never recovered it. Perhaps the person who buried it died or forgot where it was left.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055755887&page=14

There it is, it had disappeared somewhat over the last few weeks:pac:

Paleo has jumped the shark, time for the next fad people!:pac:

Biggest loser contestant eats paleo
    On a strict diet of vegetables, nuts and high-quality protein supplied by local butcher, The Meat House, these new guests of STARK are living on very simple--but gourmet--Paleo fare. "This is not your typical low-fat, low-calorie diet for weight loss; this is the opposite," said Davidson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Equally rocky I wish I discovered sooner I could eat potato, white rice and still eat a bunch of fat and not gain weight. :)

Paella is on the stove right now. MMMMMM!

El Gomero II restaurant in Tenerife:

IMG_8375.JPG

IMG_8376.JPG

IMG_8377.JPG

Drool.

Saffron and REAL stock is the key, pity saffron is so expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Every time i see lemons, limes and oranges etc mixed into hot food an uncontrollable anger comes over me :D...does anyone else get that. Ill eat anything normally but never fruity hot food (apple sauce on pork aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Davei141 wrote: »
    Every time i see lemons, limes and oranges etc mixed into hot food an uncontrollable anger comes over me :D...does anyone else get that. Ill eat anything normally but never fruity hot food (apple sauce on pork aside).

Not gonna lie, I love apricots in a Moroccan lamb tagine.

I HATE fruit in savoury food. I hate apple sauce to be anywhere near pork. So annoyed when I find find raisins in a curry or my most hated must be chicken maryland with the ring of pineapple.. ugh.

I will make and exception for a squeeze of lemon juice on seafood though, it's not sweet it just brings out the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Glad im not alone! but i got to disagree bout the lemon and fish, i still have nightmares about how bad a lime tuna pack thing i ate years ago tasted. Granted its not lemon but never again! Or the biggest let down ever.. digging into some stuffing to find out its lemon and thyme or something, eating a few bites hoping the taste fades...it never did unfortunately:mad: Pineapples also the only topping i have ever taken off a pizza, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wanted to post about the 2,000 year old bog butter found in Galway:

http://ancientfoods.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/butter-in-bog-may-be-2500-years-old/

:pac:

I'd say it was delicous too.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Worth a scan - 13 pages. Hits on the subject of weight loss re-gain that has been hit on here before

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-10-9.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Glad im not alone! but i got to disagree bout the lemon and fish, i still have nightmares about how bad a lime tuna pack thing i ate years ago tasted. Granted its not lemon but never again! Or the biggest let down ever.. digging into some stuffing to find out its lemon and thyme or something, eating a few bites hoping the taste fades...it never did unfortunately:mad: Pineapples also the only topping i have ever taken off a pizza, ever.

Yeah that's proper disappointment there. Normal stuffing just makes a meal so awesome and to have it taken away is just awful

Worth a scan - 13 pages. Hits on the subject of weight loss re-gain that has been hit on here before

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-10-9.pdf

Nice, haven't read it all but very interesting to see the benefits of healthy diet are not determined via weight loss in obese people.

Most truly obese people (BMI >34) will never reach a normal weight without bariatric surgery, so it's good to know they will reap benefits nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Most truly obese people (BMI >34) will never reach a normal weight without bariatric surgery, so it's good to know they will reap benefits nonetheless.

That's depressing. I seem to remember you mentioning an irreversibal physical cause for this - do you know anywhere I could read more about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've never been 'properly' scientifically measured for BMI, but according to fitday.com, I was over 35 back towards the end of 2009.
    I'm just on the cusp of getting into the 23 range right now, having dropped almost exactly 1/3 of my starting bodyweight.
    The only (vaguely related) surgery I've had was to correct the umbilical hernia my distended gut had given rise to over the years.

Perhaps I wasn't "truly obese" in a scientifically correctly measured way, but it sure looked and felt like it :D

That's depressing. I seem to remember you mentioning an irreversibal physical cause for this - do you know anywhere I could read more about it?

The theory is that fat cells stretch when you gain weight, but when you lose weight, you shrink them a little bit, but after that they empty. A full fat cell is a leptin-producing fat cell, so if you are walking around with empty or nearly empty fat cells you are walking around with insufficient leptin and therefore greater hunger. You can resist hunger for a little while but it's a big ask to do so for the rest of your life.

There's some preliminary research showing leptin injections may help people who have lost a lot of weight maintain it but it's early days. Don't give up hope just yet, there's a lot of research going on in this area.
    Rovi wrote: »
    I've never been 'properly' scientifically measured for BMI, but according to fitday.com, I was over 35 back towards the end of 2009.
    I'm just on the cusp of getting into the 23 range right now, having dropped almost exactly 1/3 of my starting bodyweight.
    The only (vaguely related) surgery I've had was to correct the umbilical hernia my distended gut had given rise to over the years.

Perhaps I wasn't "truly obese" in a scientifically correctly measured way, but it sure looked and felt like it :D

WOW! Well done! That is truly an amazing achievement! You could definitely have a chance at maintaining it for five years after which your chance of maintaining indefinitely go way up.

I'm approaching the five year mark myself :cool: down from BMI 30 to 22.

isn't that like losing 6-8 stone? Thats pretty amazing man.

If you can make gains like that, I'm sure you'll be able to keep it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

isn't that like losing 6-8 stone?
    A bit over 6 stone (39kg).
    My aim over the last year or so was to get to Light Heavyweight for my 50th birthday; that's the class I used to compete in 25-odd years ago. :eek:

That gives me three months to loose 0.5kg, so unless I fall mightily off the wagon, I think I have it nailed. :)

I'm actually lighter now that my walking-around weight back then; I used to have to drop 5-7lbs to make the weight, but I was stronger then than I am now too.

My only on-going concern is a certain amount of loose skin around my midriff, an entirely predictable consequence of going from a 42" waist to a 31" I suppose.
    It MAY need surgical correction in the end, but I'm going to give it a year or two to see how much/if it reduces by itself.

Sorry if this comes across as smugness, but I don't often get a chance to expound on what I've done, especially to an audience who... erm... 'understand' :D

• Advertisement

A bit over 6 stone (39kg).
    My aim over the last year or so was to get to Light Heavyweight for my 50th birthday; that's the class I used to compete in 25-odd years ago. :eek:

That gives me three months to loose 0.5kg, so unless I fall mightily off the wagon, I think I have it nailed. :)

I'm actually lighter now that my walking-around weight back then; I used to have to drop 5-7lbs to make the weight, but I was stronger then than I am now too.

My only on-going concern is a certain amount of loose skin around my midriff, an entirely predictable consequence of going from a 42" waist to a 31" I suppose.
    It MAY need surgical correction in the end, but I'm going to give it a year or two to see how much/if it reduces by itself.

Sorry if this comes across as smugness, but I don't often get a chance to expound on what I've done, especially to an audience who... erm... 'understand' :D

Well done man!

Thats a great achievement. hopefully the loose skin correct itself enough to avoid surgery.

Advertisement