Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

AFAIK, there's a methane breath test for SIBO, but good luck finding a doctor in this country who knows how to do it..

There's a 'second brain' in the gut so it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Antacids seem to relieve stress for me, even though I don't have heart burn, found that out after eating a fruity rennie to see what it tasted like :), just a nice, calm sensation.

Can't rely on them too much though, I'm guessing we probably have stomach acid for a reason.:pac:

Worst ever incidence of IBS I have ever had was after taking an antibiotic after getting my tooth pulled. I basically became intolerant to everything. Lived on chicken breast and rice, the only things I didn't get sick from. Thankfully it went away after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭meijin

Worst ever incidence of IBS I have ever had was after taking an antibiotic after getting my tooth pulled. I basically became intolerant to everything. Lived on chicken breast and rice, the only things I didn't get sick from. Thankfully it went away after a while.
    I so feel your pain... :( no IBS, but I got some food allergies after antibiotic a while ago. How long before it went away for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

That's what surprised me, everybody knows antibiotics have plenty of side effects, and none positive... They take care of the targeted infection and also kill good gut bacteria

SIBO, will look into that, thanks

meijin wrote: »
    I so feel your pain... :( no IBS, but I got some food allergies after antibiotic a while ago. How long before it went away for you?

About 6 months :(

It only went away after a period of eating very plain food. just a lot of potatoes, rice, meat and vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Wow you may have solved a mystery for me :P I also had dental work done and during the course of ABs I was on, I had a very irritable stomach. Could possibly have been related but I never even thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have mentioned in many threads about calories being an inexact science when applied to people, while some people go on like its exact thermodynamic equations. Calories are an exact science perfectly applicable for engineering heating calculations, that's what its really based on.

e.g. a study showed 500kcal of sugar will lead most people to put on more fat than 500kcal of alcohol. And 500kcal of uncooked rice gives less usable energy than 500kcal of overcooked rice as it will just pass through you.

I had glanced at something before about "food calories", and how they are different from "industrial fuel calories", e.g. ethanol would have a different value per gram in 'food calories' than in 'proper/industrial calories'. They did try and make some adjustments for humans,

But this bit about protein was news to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy
    Conventional food energy is based on heats of combustion in a bomb calorimeter and corrections that take into consideration the efficiency of digestion and absorption and the production of urea and other substances in the urine. These were worked out in the late 19th century by the American chemist Wilbur Atwater.[2] See Atwater system for more detail. This method of estimating the food energy has several defects, the most serious of which is that protein is not oxidized in the body as in the bomb calorimeter, with the possible exception of severe starvation.[3] In normal conditions, the protein is metabolized in processes which require energy such as protein synthesis or replacement, synthesis hormones, nucleic acids, etc.[4] Thus, the food energy derived from proteins could be zero, if the energy saved by the body in using the proteic food components instead of synthesizing them is taken into account. However, the idea that protein contains 4 kcal/g is so ingrained, it is used universally, as in food labels. It is only approximately correct in cases of severe starvation.

e.g. a study showed 500kcal of sugar will lead most people to put on more fat than 500kcal of alcohol.
    ... and less fat than 500kcal of fat :)

rocky wrote: »
    ... and less fat than 500kcal of fat :)

Doubtful.. if you ate 500cal of butter you'd be in the bathroom shortly afterwards..

Doubtful.. if you ate 500cal of butter you'd be in the bathroom shortly afterwards..

On a 60%fat diet, 1500kcal out of 2500 come from fat... I doubt 1/3 of that is a problem for veteran LCHF-ers.

On a 60%fat diet, 1500kcal out of 2500 come from fat... I doubt 1/3 of that is a problem for veteran LCHF-ers.

Very hard to unintentionally overeat on 60% fat, you need to overeat to store fat dontchaknow.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Very hard to unintentionally overeat on 60% fat, you need to overeat to store fat dontchaknow.:D

Until you discover double cream then its game over :)

Until you discover double cream then its game over :)

You get sick of double cream after a while. It's very sickly.

Or high fat cheesecake...

Paelo eaters,

Did any of you have hayfever previously and did paelo improve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Paelo eaters,

I'm not strict Paleo, and nor am I saying it's definitely the cause/cure, but mine has cleared up considerably. I have asthma and eczema too (usually those two come with hayfever) and both of those are nearly non-existant now as well.

Frogdog wrote: »
    Paelo eaters,

I'm not strict Paleo, and nor am I saying it's definitely the cause/cure, but mine has cleared up considerably. I have asthma and eczema too (usually those two come with hayfever) and both of those are nearly non-existant now as well.

How strict are you?

Frogdog wrote: »

Getting rid of grains/gluten would have a big impact I'd say.

Eat glycine-rich foods to boost glutathione, that is great for all things sinus-related.

So gelatine, bone stocks etc.

I've been taking liquid collagen for a while now as I don't have a reliable supply of beef bones for stock (apparently most butchers don't butcher anymore - :() and chicken stock upsets my stomach.

I take the Neocell liquid collagen C brand as its very gentle on the tummy and tastes like pomegranate!

Big difference in sleep quality, hair volume(!), skin smoothness and nail strength. The nail strength is ridiculous actually, hard to cut my nails recently!

I have a few beef tail bones in the freezer but there's no marrow or soft tissue left in them. Is it still worth making broth?

I take the Neocell liquid collagen C brand as its very gentle on the tummy and tastes like pomegranate!

Where do you buy it from?

Going to cut out gluten as much as possible. last year I didn't have hayfever but when I look back I was eating mainly low carb.

• Advertisement

I have a few beef tail bones in the freezer but there's no marrow or soft tissue left in them. Is it still worth making broth?

Definitely, include a bit of acid to get the most out of it, so ACV or vinegar of any kind will do.

Here's the collagen I get from iherb:
    http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Neocell-Collagen-C-Pomegranate-Liquid-16-fl-oz-473-ml/16087/?p=1&sr=3

Did anyone else see the pressure cooker that Stephan recommended? The company won't ship to Ireland and since my pressure cooker broke last week I waaant it..

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

How strict are you?

I'd drink milk and eat cheese, cottage cheese and natural yoghurt a bit. I'd eat bread the very, very odd time, maybe once every 6-8 weeks. Other than that I'd be fully Paleo.

Did anyone else see the pressure cooker that Stephan recommended? The company won't ship to Ireland and since my pressure cooker broke last week I waaant it..
    What type is it? 'all american' brand? they are the best but hard to get here. I know a fair bit about them and am very happy with the prestige I got in argos, I read some newer prestige ones are crap though, so its this model in particular. And is 25% off right now, a very good price.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8610351/Trail/searchtext%3EPRESTIGE.htm

theres a cheaper 6L prestige too but I wouldn't get it.

The one I have goes to 15psi, most are only 12psi these days. It can actually be run at higher pressures too, even says it in the manual, I have ran mine at 28psi.

My mother got a loan of mine and got one too, uses it a lot more than me, she has had several over the years and this one is still holding up well.

What happened to your pressure cooker anyway?

rubadub wrote: »
    What type is it? 'all american' brand?

Instant Pot LUX-60

Its for US/Canadian market so for 120V, so not usable here, unless you got an expensive dirty big transformer.

Also did not mention pressure, so I was guessing it would be low. Somebody else was asking here

http://instantpot.com/improved-versatility-of-instant-pot-model-ip-lux6050/

The maximum pressure of Instant Pot is 15.2psi. But the regular working pressure is in the range of 10.15~11.6psi. If you view Instant Pot’s pressure diagram on http://instantpot.com/technology/how-electric-pressure-cookers-work/ , it is comparable to stove-top pressure cooker reaching 15 psi and then heat being turned down. The cooking pressure closely simulates the most common use the standard 15psi stove-top pressure cooker.

Meanwhile there are many brands of stove-top pressure operating at 12 psi, 11 psi, 10 psi or even lower. The current Instant Pot models don’t support other pressure levels yet. If there’s strong demand for such feature, we shall introduce the capability in the future.
    so not even 12psi, more like ~10.6 looking at the graphs, the bit in bold gave me a laugh all the same.

Some people might not require high pressure though, its a must for me.

Yup that's the one.. I liked the fact that it can be a slow cooker and a rice cooker too as I was going to buy a rice cooker anyway.

Does the higher pressure really make a difference? From what I heard it was the consistency of pressure rather than maximum which makes the difference for flavour, at least according to this:

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/11/22/pressure-cooked-stocks-we-got-schooled/

So it would be great if I didn't get one that hissed.

My old pressure cooker died of old age, the rubber ring broke. I used it about 5 times a week, it was a cheap aldi one but great for a quick stew, goulash, bourguignon, curry, chilli etc..

I don't know how to evaluate this. Basically I did low carb a few years ago and found it easy enough. I was overweight and sedentary. Three days and I got low carb flu. Few days later on track.

Now I more activate and do resistance and cardiovascular training. Have developed some lean body mass. I've tested my fasted blood glucose several times and it was 5.2 - 5.5 mmol/l. I've tried to go low carb twice in the last 4 months. Both times by mid day it feels like blood sugar plummets.

So I'm not sure if the low blood sugar is showing that I have normal insulin sensitivity or the opposite?

I am confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Definitely, include a bit of acid to get the most out of it, so ACV or vinegar of any kind will do.

Here's the collagen I get from iherb:
    http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/Neocell-Collagen-C-Pomegranate-Liquid-16-fl-oz-473-ml/16087/?p=1&sr=3

Really interested in the collagen! Do you think something like this would also work instead?
    http://www.iherb.com/Neocell-Collagen-Sport-Whey-Isolate-Complex-Belgian-Chocolate-47-6-oz-1350-g/40007

• Advertisement

Sorry, forgot about this topic, there was discussion of that brand here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79533374#post79533374
    Does the higher pressure really make a difference? From what I heard it was the consistency of pressure rather than maximum which makes the difference for flavour, at least according to this:
    I want high pressure to cook/sterilize stuff faster. Reading that it seems to me it is the venting of steam that effects flavour, rather than having consistent pressure.

I was cooking potatoes the other day and vented it, you can smell a strong aroma of spuds coming out the the gas. I was reading a article by that Heston B. chef saying a sealed one would trap aroma inside, makes sense.
    So it would be great if I didn't get one that hissed.
    The one you linked will still hiss if you apply too much power. If you apply too little power it will drop in pressure.

If you want no hissing then an electric might be the way to go. What the electric ones will be doing is usually monitoring temperature inside, which is related to the pressure. At 15psi it will be ~121C inside (at sea level). So it would have a thermostat inside to allow it apply power to the element, and then switch off once it reaches say 119C, then it will rise a little with residual heat. Then it would power off, and come on again about about 115C or so.

This means you never lose much pressure, and have no hissing, your power control is pretty good. If its a spring regulator or jiggler or weight there is no escaping the fact that if you apply too much power it will HAVE to vent steam/power. Some might do this more haphazardly, so on the spring one you should get a even & consistent stream of steam escaping, while a jiggler might belt steam out for a second and reseal. So the pressure might experience less fluctuations with the spring. This is important when cooking certain foods. When the food is under pressure if you get a sudden release it can cause it to 'explode', e.g. the skins of wheat grains can burst and expose all the starches and go mushy. I think my mother 'explodes' potatoes on purpose, it loosens the skins and makes them more floury if they are to be roasted afterwards.

Some cheapo ones also have pressure indicators, combined on a weight.

I have modified my prestige and have a pressure gauge attached so can see exactly what is going on. I can add more weights to the lid so it can go beyond 15psi without hissing. I then figured out what power setting I need to keep it there. You get finer control using smaller rings on your hob. But I'm fully qualified to do this! I would not recommend messing with them.

The all americans and probably some others come with gauges.

Advertisement