Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets see your Christmas Trees! (Don't quote photos!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

We recently renovated an inherited Victorian house but ran out of money before we could fully decorate, furnish, add storage etc. These things would have to go on hold for a year or so until our finances from the major renovation work recovered. As a result our old unsuitable Semi-D furniture etc would have to be used in a house with laminate downstairs but no carpet anywhere else. Ever since we moved back in, in July, the plan was to re-use the old tree and decorations too for those same reasons. ie. wait for finances to recover.

However, when push came to shove and the snow arrived, we just couldn't do it. Couldn't resist the urge to go mad on the decorations despite the fact that the house was not finished and our finances not fully recovered yet. While the head said no, the heart said Yes! :D

Y'See Christmas time and how we planned to decorate the house was always part of the 'Dream' of the new house. That first Christmas in the new house with everything finished and the house decorated had already been pushed back a few years by delays in planning permisssion, mortgage approval, building delays etc and we missed several years already. We'll be in and finished by Christmas '09...we'll definately be in and finished by Christmas '10 etc etc.

If we held off another year before going mad on Christmas decorations that would bring us to Christmas '11 or even 2012. Just couldn't do it. So this year we have the unusual juxtaposition of garlands on stair banisters but no carpet on stairs and a plywood landing :D Of lovely garland on the mantlepiece but cables running to TV not yet hidden and big oul 20 year old speakers in front of handsome marble victorian fireplace instead of new small tasteful sub/sat home cinema speakers.

Hopefully Christmas 2011 everything will be finished, done, dusted :D

Anyway, heres pictures I took after finishing. Unfortunately with so much stuff, so much new stuff, deciding what would go where etc, putting stuff up, deciding NAH!...taking stuff back down. It took me about 4 days to finish!! Well we missed the bloody snow as a result. Bray got insignificant snow after Sunday Nov 29th while the rest of the east coast got feet of the stuff in the last 10 days. So I missed the opportunity that we rarely have in this country of having a photo with a decorated Christmas tree and snow covered garden in the same shot!! :D Heres hopin' for more snow before January 6th :D

Living Room

10ft Tree bought in Woodies DIY. 800 white lights. 300+ decorations and beads. Gold and Silver. Fake gold and silver foil wrapped presents to hide the tree stand. 9ft Garland with 100 White Lights hung under mantlepiece of fireplace.

5238475280_f04bcc3b9a_z_d.jpg

5237887697_815bb0c212_z_d.jpg

5237897837_3af9a9f3c1_z_d.jpg

5237905087_04df1d36f4_z_d.jpg

5237911213_cbb451889e_z_d.jpg

Dining Room

Our old 7.5ft tree with Gold decorations and 400 white lights. Fake presesnts underneath. 9ft galrland with 100 white lights over fireplace. Next year the room will have a burgundy wallpapered feature wall and the tree will be replaced with a new one. Its a bit tatty after all these years but the decorations do a good job of hiding that fact to be fair. Tree will be decorated burgundy and gold next year. Had a brainwave and a stroke of luck today. The stroke of luck was that the old dining table looks tatty and is more suited to our old semi-d than the new house. Doesn't look well in the room at all. However today in Dunnes Cornelscourt I came across burgundy table cloths and seat covers. 10 euro each!! Absolutely transforms the tables and chairs! :D The brainwave was that the table over extends to get the extension piece out from underneath, then you close it back together when you slot the extension piece in. The ends are still very stable even when over extended however. After a trip to the DIY store tomorrow to get some MDF cut, I'll have another extension piece. The table will then comfortable seat 8 and easily seat 10! It'll now have the adaptability of 3 different sizes. We've never been able to seat that many people for Christmas Dinner all at the one table before!! And the lovely new table cloths hides the MDF piece. :D

5242163294_28e06ef98f_z_d.jpg

5241570833_4a3718898a_z_d.jpg

5241575909_630ecb7876_z_d.jpg

5238534550_e7d73493fc_z_d.jpg

Kitchen

Just a little baby artificial Tree from Tescos with a few lights and spare gold decorations on kitchen counter. Will give further thought to decorations in this room next year.

5238540772_b9a72af8de_z_d.jpg

Stair and Landing Bannisters

4x 9ft garlands tied together with assorted gold decorations and beads and Holly and Berry perched Robins. 400 White Lights. Also in one of the pictures you can see a fiber optic tree we had spare in an arched window that looks down on the stairs from the attic conversion.

5238555350_48205418ff_z_d.jpg

5238561886_e35e050429_z_d.jpg

5238567560_251b1c7a86_z_d.jpg

5238574832_c931723774_z_d.jpg

5237986445_eff7505408_z_d.jpg

Can ya tell that we all love Christmas in our house :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

gorgeous calibos! ten foot! :eek: jealous.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

now you're just showing off!

great job though, it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Don't care (Atari Jaguar)
    Will hopefully have mine up over the next few days to take pics :)

Have to say this thread is very inspiring. Might be yoinking some ideas from here :pac:

Calibos your house is absolutely beautiful :eek: Dream house for me. Decorations are fantastic, I wouldn't want to take them down in January if I was you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Heres mine... put it up today, while listening to Christmas songs!! Now im really in the christmas mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Wow, thanks so much for all the pics that have been posted! Loving this thread!

Havent been in the festive spirit since the Budget yesterday but these pics have inspired me to try and slip/slide to get my tree over the weekend!:D:D

Cant wait to get decorating the place and the lovely smelly real tree :D:D

Pics will of course follow :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

i hope this works

right, the tree is up! here's a close up one of our likkle angels, i just think it came out really well :)

2010-12-08%2022.41.14.jpg

and here's the tree.. i dunno why but i took a spaz attack and lobbed gold bloody tinsel on it, when the colours are purple and silver :/ it won't last.. just too tired to go messin again tonight :)

2010-12-09%2000.03.30.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Pictures and small amount of chat allowed
    Our families tree, decorated by the two youngest in the house :P

81108.jpg

I still reckon I did a better job being a tree last year tbh

9c138.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

I finally finished my decorations at the weekend must take a few snaps tonight of the..Well done everyones tree and decorations looks so nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The tree in my Apatrment, and Glitterboo'd just for fun :D
    139580.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Not particularly happy with our tree this year - I'd intended getting a brand spanking new one as this one is several years old and it's showing! But here it is anyway

013.jpg?t=1292455994

And, just after putting up the tree (hadn't even decorated it), the cat decided it was a good place to hang out!

010.jpg?t=1292456130

*excuse the hideous, hideous carpet...it will be gone next year, all going well!*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Calibos wrote: »
    We recently renovated an inherited Victorian house but ran out of money before we could fully decorate, furnish, add storage etc.

Join the party! ;) I'm living in a similar house (Victorian). It was build in 1902 so technically it's an Victorian house built in the Edwardian era.
    I'm sure you would agree that every little minuscule task is blown way out of proportion. With 10ft ceilings and the need of a real tree, I found myself scouring the scouts/schools and private sellers looking for a tree that was big enough.
    All of that aside when the step-ladder is put away with all the rooms decorated it looks stunning. The decorations really complement the buildings style.
    I love my house at christmas time!:)

I might add that your TV set up looks fantastic ;) Might pop over to get a few tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I suppose this thread brings up the debate "Real tree vs Fake tree"

I personally love the smell and character of a real tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Here's mine. I put it up to distract me from the white things falling from the sky

My_tree_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

picture.php?albumid=1422&pictureid=8225picture.php?albumid=1422&pictureid=8226

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

juke wrote: »
    Here's mine. I put it up to distract me from the white things falling from the sky
    I am very jealous of your tree :o:p

this is my first ever christmas tree as it is my first christmas in my house :D however... it is super lame and skinny so it it overflowing with baubels and I made my own christmas crackers to make it look fuller :D

SDC10470.jpg

My Fireplace:
    SDC10474.jpg

my homemade christmas cracker :D
    DSCF2987_1_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

ChewChew wrote: »
    I am very jealous of your tree :o:p

this is my first ever christmas tree as it is my first christmas in my house :D however... it is super lame and skinny so it it overflowing with baubels and I made my own christmas crackers to make it look fuller :D

Don't be jealous - it only has 13 penguin decorations on it :pac: There's 9 on the mantle piece, mind you :o

A first tree is very special - and you've tons of decorations......hand made crackers :eek: very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Finally managed to get pictures of our tree! I put it up nearly 2 weeks ago but haven't been home since. Anyway here it is, all decorated by yours truly :D

SDC11656-1.jpg

Some more decorations:

SDC11657.jpg

And finally, my family's favourite:

SDC11659.jpg

Best Snowman :D

• Advertisement

Thought I'd post a few more seeing as this is only the second time in living memory that there has been the possibility of Xmas Tree and Snow in the same shot. (First was a Stephens Day dusting about 8 or 9 years ago)

5286445405_77e57c5e57_d.jpg

5286464445_2911c92822_d.jpg

5286459693_6bc95597c8_d.jpg

5286469607_3a27404a56_d.jpg

5286443623_e980ba177d_d.jpg

5287055498_15c312115e_d.jpg

5287051344_d31a05e27b_d.jpg

5287048686_dfd01d80d1_d.jpg

Despite being disappointed with the amount of snow we got in my town compared to the rest of the East Coast, roofs, paths and hedges are still white whether they have 3 or 23 inches on them. This is going to be a magical White Christmas. Mr Crosby, you needn't dream anymore! Mr Dean Martin finally decided to, 'Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!'

i know it's late but here are two pics of the tree myself and my daughter erected in my parents house, love it, want it! :)

2010-12-15%2017.11.55.jpg

2010-12-15%2017.12.16.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

That is stunning Alicat!! I are very jealous :o

I've decided, on September 1st, I am going to start setting out my decorations.. so I'll put out a few sneaky ornaments every week or two :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've decided, on September 1st, I am going to start setting out my decorations.. so I'll put out a few sneaky ornaments every week or two :D
    Haha, I've been threatening to do that at work, in the hope that by the time the place looks like a Christmas Grotto it'll be too late for them to reverse it, mwa haha. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Haha, I've been threatening to do that at work, in the hope that by the time the place looks like a Christmas Grotto it'll be too late for them to reverse it, mwa haha. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

Think I'm the 1st this year :o
    Not great photos, the camera doesnt do it justice but heres mine anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

This year in our new house :D

004-4.jpg
    005-4.jpg

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Pictures and small amount of chat allowed
    183665.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Here's my Christmas tree. Thanks to my other half who loves doing all the Christmas decorations...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Our new tall tree!

[URL="6453375855_e4c7116887.jpg

[URL="6452096171_dd4f88616d.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement