Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim McDaid withdraws FF Support - clever sly move or genuine?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 6:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Jim McDaid withdraws FF Support

He announced it today. Call me pessimistic but it smacks like two other TD's that tried the same stunt a while back, possibly in order to garner local community support where he's up for election again at the next national vote - which might come sooner than we think if the budget don't go down well at all!

Jeeze, they still think ALL of us are that stupid not to be able to see thru their antics sometimes.
    Former cabinet minister Jim McDaid says he has withdrawn his support from the Government.
    The Donegal North East TD, who had the Fianna Fail whip removed from him earlier this year, wrote a letter to the Government Chief Whip today to say he may oppose the coalition in future Dail votes.
    A dispute with his local constituency party appears to have prompted the letter.
    Ongoing tensions between Dr McDaid's camp and that of his Fianna Fáil constituency colleague Niall Blaney are understood to be at the centre of the dispute.
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen, said he had not seen the letter from Dr McDaid. "I haven't seen any letter so I can't comment until I speak to the General Secretary," he said.

Link: http://tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=26823&locID=1.2.&pagename=news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, while it may well be a stunt, anything that dilutes the Animal Farm crowd's power is welcome.

But if it is just the weasel words, then he's even worse than I'd already have considered him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

When anyone ever mentions Jim Mc Daid I picture the idiot driving up the wrong side of the Naas Dual Carraige way drunk! He was lucky he didn't kill anyone that day. I cant believe he was re-elected after that.

It wouldn't surprise me though if, as a result of this, more gutless fianna failers withdraw support and we'll be facing a general election soon. Mc Daid will come out thinking he's some kind of hero. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dr Jimmy Devins and Eamon Scanlon tried the same stunt JUST before a period back when a lot though the country was facing the possibility of a sudden election.
    They were admonished too for the same possible stunt by the press.

When all else fails, take the sudden position "I'm not with them! I'm with ye!" - re-elect me?
    Its a farce - A FF farce - AGAIN!

n18n13.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It was rumoured a while back that Mc Daid's seat might be under threat from SF, I reckon this is just posturing from Mc Daid to rally the troops.
    Still it will be interesting to see how he votes in the Budget. I think things are going to be very close in the vote and the likes of Lowry and the so-called independents will have to do a lot of soul searching, assuming they have souls that is.

bmaxi wrote: »
    ...it will be interesting to see how he votes in the Budget. I think things are going to be very close in the vote and the likes of Lowry and the so-called independents will have to do a lot of soul searching, assuming they have souls that is.
    That's a hell of a LOT of assuming! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Youve got to realize folks that these renegades dont actually leave Fianna Fail at all, and they will probably vote with the government all the same. Its just a token measure.

And when one thinks of what it seems to mean to be a Fianna Fail member - serving your electoral chances over what is good for the country - this is a classic Fianna Fail move. Its designed solely to try and get re-elected, to the detriment of everything else. Jim McDaid probably doesnt give a toss about whats good for the country - if he did he would have resigned from the party, and not just the whip, some time ago.

If any of my Fianna Fail reps have the gall to try one of these token stunts, they will have lost all remote chance of even getting a preference next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Is the little man being taken for granted and its time for a hissy fit? McDaid is looking for more attention just as we are about to go nuclear with the budget. So little jimmy wants to play hardball or he will not vote for the budget. Like who gives a monkey's. He has supported FF up to now and the damage they have wreaked. Shut up jimmy and get back in your box. Enough said.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

who believes anything from a dyed in the wool f.fr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Biggins wrote: »
    That's a hell of a LOT of assuming! :pac:
    It is especially putting Lowry and soul in the same sentence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Biggins wrote: »
    Dr Jimmy Devins and Eamon Scanlon tried the same stunt JUST before a period back when a lot though the country was facing the possibility of a sudden election.
    They were admonished too for the same possible stunt by the press.

When all else fails, take the sudden position "I'm not with them! I'm with ye!" - re-elect me?
    Its a farce - A FF farce - AGAIN!

n18n13.jpg
    How do you put a press cutting into a post, rather than just a link to it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You can't "withdraw your support" from a cult. You are either in a cult or you cut yourself off from it and that's what Fianna Fail is, a cult...

KC JONES wrote: »
    How do you put a press cutting into a post, rather than just a link to it? Thanks

The newspaper clip was scanned in and then pasted/posted here to the using this free net service: http://tinypic.com
    (www.imageshack.us is another one)

...If any of my Fianna Fail reps have the gall to try one of these token stunts, they will have lost all remote chance of even getting a preference next time round.

You will amazed how many at local level will fall for it.
    I know one person who is a true FF supporter true and true but saw how things was going lately (downturn in FF support and public hatred) he suddenly became "independent" at a local election.
    Once elected, shortly after he declared then that he was still a FF man.

Whatever works, any trick in the book, people will use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

The country going down the swannee, and it takes a right thinking reduction in the drink drive limit (are you reading McDaid?), and a row with the local sewing circle to get this lecherous parochial GP to remove his support?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

It sure does look self-serving. McDaid topped the poll in 2002 General Election. Slipped to third in 2007. Guaranteed to be under pressure in the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

I live in Donegal. We are the poorest county in Ireland with the lowest disposable income. And all those fianna failures who have been running the country in the past 12 years can do is continue this petty arguing about something that happened ages ago. Ask 99% of people in donegal what issues worry them and I can assure you that they will say (the lack of) jobs, health, education. Not the s**te that these clowns fall out about. Why wasn't that meeting about important issues instead ? Why didn't McDaid walk out of the party earlier when they withdrew services in Letterkenny General Hospital? People in Malin have to take a six hour bus journey to get treatment. These are the things that should be making him mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

This post has been deleted.

I might respect him if he learn to use grammatical English: "This has opened up an appalling vista, in which powerful unions are allowed to walk into the Government and tell them what to do. If the unions are allowed to get away with this, I don't know [insert an actual ending to the sentence."

What's he proposing, that unions should be forbidden from acting how they see fit in their members' interest? And he never gave a damn about public sector waste until the cash ran out, 5 years ago Bertie was in his heaven and all was right with the world, shur why would you lay off useless civil servants, you'll only lose votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

was he sober when he issued this threat?

Advertisement