Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas FM to Return ???

• 30-11-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

Iv been told that Christmas FM is returning to our airwaves today. I want to know, has it ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Yes 100.3 in Dublin more
    http://www.christmasfm.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Caught a bit of this today. On the plus side the audio was good and the christmas music was on the whole ok. Presenter (didn't catch her name) was also good.

Imaging is dire!!

Why oh why do temps that support charidies feel the need to shove that fact down our gobs every single link? There seems to be a lack of feeling that the station is an xmas station, rather, it seems to be a SVP station. I actually began to feel a bit depressed listening to a tale about "Brian" in Cork and all his problems. Turn off time.
    These long winded appeals don't really make great radio. That hot talk station that we had on before made the same error IMHO.

It was good to hear Sir Bob Gallico on the airwaves again although his insert seemed to oddly placed in between 2 pieces of music. It took a few seconds to realise that he was reading a message.

I hoped it would be better than last year but.......jury's out

This has to a joke

http://www.sbpost.ie/mediaandmarketing/ebs-to-sponsor-christmas-fm-45931.html

This is the first year for Christmas FM to broadcast in two cities. Last year, market research based on JNLR questioning found that 35 per cent of all females aged over 15 in Dublin and 25 per cent of all males in Dublin tuned in. It also received 11 million texts.

I'm not aware that the JNLR survey for Temp stations and even if they do the results are extraordinary.

11 Million texts?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Fuzzy Clam

calm down there! I don't think it was ever claimed as jnlr research but rather based on it. jnlr does not do jnlr research for temp stations.

the station claimed 11 thousand texts last year not 11 million. Journos have a habit of misprinting to suit themselves!

Even 11 thousand would be a fair exageration, i would think.

Since the words "Xmas FM" do not feature anywhere in a JNLR survey, market research based on that survey can only be flawed. It would be equally fair to state that 0% of all females and males tuned in. In fact 0% would probably be a lot nearer to the truth.
    Who carried out the market research?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

fuzzy the 11,000 texts figure was given by the phone operator. Much of the money raised for the ispcc was from texts, so 11,000 is a fair figure considering the figures were supplied to the station by the phone company and not the station itself.

TRSJ wrote: »
    fuzzy the 11,000 texts figure was given by the phone operator. Much of the money raised for the ispcc was from texts, so 11,000 is a fair figure considering the figures were supplied to the station by the phone company and not the station itself.

Ok, fair enough. You can't really blame me for being sceptical given the listenership claims though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

im on the promotions team for christmas fm at the minute,if you see anyone dressed up in christmas gear wandering around come up to us for some great free prizes!

TRSJ wrote: »
    Fuzzy Clam

calm down there! I don't think it was ever claimed as jnlr research but rather based on it. jnlr does not do jnlr research for temp stations.

So how exactly are the figures calculated if the JNLR do not research temp stations? How can research be based on it? Did Xmas FM carry out their own research? If so, why is JNLR mentioned?
    Not trick questions but an answer would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DicktheButcher

This station gives your workplace, your car or whereever else it is being played the ambience of a dreary suburban shopping centre - it's dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    So how exactly are the figures calculated if the JNLR do not research temp stations? How can research be based on it? Did Xmas FM carry out their own research? If so, why is JNLR mentioned?

You really got the horn to expose Xmas fm for a third party newspaper report!! I agree the 11 million texts thing was a bit silly. Research? That was probably an educated guess. Then again, as any business, they do not actually have to tell anyone their business, especially on a message board.

All I know is that its a station thats on for a month playing christmas music and it raised €35k for the ISPCC. That money had to come from somewhere.

I would be interested to know how much money REAL Radio and the 90s Network raised, because that all seems to be very quiet.

You're a funny if not somewhat naive person, Preset.

If a station makes claims as to the number of listeners it has then it must be able to back up these claims. If it can't, then those claims are baseless. The newspaper article must have received the info somewhere. Since nobody from Xmas FM have has yet to deny the figures quoted, then I assume that they supplied them.

Ironicly, whilst telling me I have the "Horn" :confused: for exposing Xmas FM (which I'm not trying to do, btw ) you then ask, on a public message board, how much 2 other stations raised. So you're allowed to raise questions but I'm not?

Ok, I'll re-phrase my question.
    How can a station, any station calculate how many listeners it has from market research based on JNLR figures if that station is not included in the JNLR survey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This station gives your workplace, your car or whereever else it is being played the ambience of a dreary suburban shopping centre - it's dreadful.

The thing about these CHARRREDY stations is that they RAM it down your throat everytime between songs - its all a bit boring.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

You're right I did ask that. My bad. I suppose if someone from Xmas fm wants to come on and explain the story behind it that would be great but I wouldn't expect it.

If the station, it's music, imaging, presenters are all crap, vote with your finger and change channel. However I suspect that being a general anorak, you may be waiting for some little nugget to happen. Especially to the reference to 'sir bob gallico'.

I have dipped in and out this year, but I'm nowhere near the Xmas spirit yet. I'll stick to newstalk and 5 live.

If the station, it's music, imaging, presenters are all crap, vote with your finger and change channel.

Your words, not mine.
    I only claimed the imaging is crap.
    I think the presenters do a great job given the product they have to work with.

I agree though, I also don't expect anybody to come on here and explain the figures. I suppose we can draw our own conclusions;)

Incidently, I'm not a general anorak but thanks anyway for trying to pigeon hole me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I've tuned into this station a few times, but really dissappointed. Every time I listen to it there is some really obscure xmas song being played thats not very good. I thought they would be mostly playing all the xmas classics but its not the case, shame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've tuned into this station a few times, but really dissappointed. Every time I listen to it there is some really obscure xmas song being played thats not very good. I thought they would be mostly playing all the xmas classics but its not the case, shame really.

Yeah but you have to understand, most radio stations have catologues of tens of thousands of songs to choose from. Christmas FM have mere hundreds! And how many "classic" Christmas songs are there really? They can't keep playing the same songs over and over again, they have to play some lesser knowns ones too.

I personally love the station, obscure Christmas songs and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

RTÉ Radio has announced its christmas programming
    www.rte.ie/radio/christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Yeah but you have to understand, most radio stations have catologues of tens of thousands of songs to choose from. Christmas FM have mere hundreds! And how many "classic" Christmas songs are there really? They can't keep playing the same songs over and over again, they have to play some lesser knowns ones too.

I would say there are about 30 classics, if you were to play one classic followed by an obscure song that wouldn't be so bad. So that would be 60 tracks being played before songs get repeated. 60 tracks with talking and breaks in between would take roughly 4 hours to get played. Most people only listen to the radio for about an hour on the drive in to work and then out again. Not many people would be listening to the radio for more than 4 hours consecutely.

And some songs are obscure for a reason, that being that no one likes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Who cares? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Actually, while most radio stations may have a catalogue of tens of thousands of songs to choose from, their PLAYLIST - i.e.: the songs that actually get played on the air in any given week would usually be in or around 300 to 500.

@shamblertine: "Obscure" does not mean "no one likes them" ;) ... if the only Christmas songs you like are the bigger and more popular ones, then things can only get better for you.... as I shall now explain:

Christmas FM are playing a wide range of Christmas songs at the moment - and yes, that includes many very obscure ones indeed right now... but as we get closer to 'the big day', that playlist will be drastically shortened, with the focus more on the bigger, better known Christmas hits.

And by the way, yes - I do work for them (a little bit!)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

simonw wrote: »
    Who cares? :confused:

Obviously the people who are posting in this thread have an interest and 'care'.

If you aren't going to offer something worthwhile to the thread, don't bother posting.

Advertisement