Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have the Public Servants won the dispute?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Bruce2008 wrote: »

RIGHT...LETS START THE BALL ROLLING!!!

Who do you personally know that works in the public service and what is their wage???... not someone who a friend of yours knows... who do YOU know???

Can you name them (not actual name) and shame them?

Right, father in law... Can't tell you his actual wage but can give u a summary of what went on in his dept.

Worked 5/6 hrs daily but got paid for 8.

2 hours worked every odd Sunday. Got paid double time for 8. Same went for working on Saturdays only at time n a half.

Xmass day. 30mins - 1hr worked. Got triple time for 8 hours.

6+ weeks holidays a year. Std holidays + all sick days taken.

I've known him 6 years and in all that time the above has been going on. He's recently retired but up till that day nothing had changed. Been a public servant for 40+ years and even he admits that it's insane what they got away with in the last decade. This wasn't one man getting the above privlidges. This was a hole dept...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

How does the public sectors proposed short time/reduced hours differ from the norm???

Cause most of the places I know of have had to cut pay and let go of staff along with reducing hours worked. I know of one place thats had to let go of 2/3rds of their staff and the rest are on a 3 day week.

Say I want to get information from a public service, say the hours are 10 - 1 and 2 - 4, which many are... And between these hours its hard enough getting in touch with someone. Now if they make these hours shorter, how is that not going to affect the public??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

unklerosco wrote: »
    Say I want to get information from a public service, say the hours are 10 - 1 and 2 - 4, which many are... And between these hours its hard enough getting in touch with someone. Now if they make these hours shorter, how is that not going to affect the public??

These are the hours open to the public... before and after these hours work still goes on....i.e. 9-10 and 4-5 workers are still working....

As for 'alot of places; you know and 'one place' you know that have done this and that.... guess what.... alot of places I know have introduced short time without redundancies....

Right, father in law... Can't tell you his actual wage but can give u a summary of what went on in his dept.

2 hours worked every odd Sunday. Got paid double time for 8. Same went for working on Saturdays only at time n a half.

I've known him 6 years and in all that time the above has been going on. He's recently retired but up till that day nothing had changed. Been a public servant for 40+ years and even he admits that it's insane what they got away with in the last decade. This wasn't one man getting the above privlidges. This was a hole dept...

Son in law is that you???

Seriously...I should have expected this... my fault for asking a question open to such a Walter Mitty response...

This is the sort of widespread SH*TE that some of the posters on this site believe and add to....

I know someone earning 18,500euro a year... 4 days a week cleaning up puke, piss, ****, and every other type of human leakage you can think of.... but she is off xmas... yeepeee.... she gets the basic allowance of holidays plus 2 days.... no bonus... no overtime... if she doesnt do her work then you will probably step in it....

not the 'normal' public sector worker as percieved by the public... but a bit more close to the normal than his father in law....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

This is a perfect example of the SH*TE that is being posted here...
    Boom time wages my arse.. you'd swear all of them were earning 100,000euro a year!!!

Who do you personally know that works in the public service and what is their wage???... not someone who a friend of yours knows... who do YOU know???

I havea friend who's a Lieutenant in the Defence Forces. Been in it for about 6 years now. Hes received 2 automatic promotions (from Cadet to 2nd Lieutenant and then from 2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant). Currently on ~€44,000 a year according to himself. And hes due another automatic promotion to Captain in about 2 or 3 years which will put him over €50k per annum according to him.

Hows that?

Edit: Oh, and he has no qualifications apart from the Leaving Cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Did you ever hear such sh*te... So where does all their tax go.... to the man in the moon... sorry to burst you balloon but tax go to the tax man....

The point he was making is true. Public sector tax isnt 'revenue' for the government, its just a reduction in the government's loss.

For example, if I give you €100 and I then get €20 back from you, would it be more accurate for me to describe that transaction as;

1) I just lost €80

or

2) I just gained €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Flex wrote: »
    I havea friend who's a Lieutenant in the Defence Forces. Been in it for about 6 years now. Hes received 2 automatic promotions (from Cadet to 2nd Lieutenant and then from 2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant). Currently on ~€44,000 a year according to himself. And hes due another automatic promotion to Captain in about 2 or 3 years which will put him over €50k per annum according to him.

Hows that?

Edit: Oh, and he has no qualifications apart from the Leaving Cert
    - it isn't a "promotion" from Cadet to 2nd Lieutenant. You become a 2nd Lieutenant when you are commissioned - you are only a cadet whilst in training.

- Most cadets join the Army from secondary school and so will only have the LC. If he is an officer for several years then he most likely has a degree by now. At least thats the way it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

This is a perfect example of the SH*TE that is being posted here...
    Boom time wages my arse.. you'd swear all of them were earning 100,000euro a year!!!

its irrelevant who i know , i know how to log onto the CSO or INO website , this provides me with all the information i need

the public sector done better out of the boom than the private sector on average , in fact thier boom still goes on while the tradesmens boom ended two years ago , oh and bankers and developers represent less than 1% of the private sector workforce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Son in law is that you???

Seriously...I should have expected this... my fault for asking a question open to such a Walter Mitty response...

This is the sort of widespread SH*TE that some of the posters on this site believe and add to....

I know someone earning 18,500euro a year... 4 days a week cleaning up puke, piss, ****, and every other type of human leakage you can think of.... but she is off xmas... yeepeee.... she gets the basic allowance of holidays plus 2 days.... no bonus... no overtime... if she doesnt do her work then you will probably step in it....

not the 'normal' public sector worker as percieved by the public... but a bit more close to the normal than his father in law....

This person you are talking about will probably get a nice defined gauranteed pension when they do retire. 4 day week as well? Most of us in the private sector work a full week in excess of 12 hours and still get less than 18k a year. Is this person in a union?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

A year ago I was working in Dublin, commuting from a small town in Kildare. I used to drive over to the train station in Sallins everyday. Our new neighbours moved in beside us, they were two Guards. One of them worked locally and other worked in Store street and didnt know how to drive. after a while he came over to ask me if he could get a lift to the train with me in the mornings. The evenings did not require him to come with me since he finished work at 3pm.

After 5 months of him coming in the car with me every morning, he one morning said to me and I quote. "Isn't it great..I get a free lift with you in the mornings, then flash the Garda badge on the train and get free into Houston station, free on the luas up to Store Street, free breakfast, luch and dinner, free luas down to my bus, and then flash the garda badge again for free trip home. On top of this he was getting paid a full 12 hour day for woking essentially 6 hours, when he went into the office at weekends he was getting 12 hours+ overtime. His wife gets more or less the same. I had to pay full wack for everything including the petrol!

I forgot to mention that he was tying the lace on his free Garda boots whilst resting his boot on my dashboard. Needless to say I lost my rag completely with him.

I have since lost my job, lost my car and had to move out of the area due to redundancy. That Guard is still commuting in and commanding a salary of over 80k with overtime plus allowances, he is at normal grade and works in the office based division. never walks the beat or leaves the office.

Is this fair?

about fcuking time the public service was found out for what it is! A complete and utter sham!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

From rte.ie

And it looks like the government having seen the error of their ways late yesterday have buckled again. (Do the unions have photographs of Brian Cowen in a compromising position?)

Savings - according to a number of union sources the savings package is of the order of €1bn and this includes an effective pay-cut of 12 days next year for public sector workers.

Unpaid leave - it is understood a separate document dealing with the issue of unpaid leave is being finalised.

This will focus on how the 12 days unpaid leave would be implemented without impacting on the delivery of public services.

It is understood that in education, for instance, there would be an option for the leave to be taken over a period of six years to minimise potential disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

No - Thankfully the deal has been rejected!

Public opinion has won over union bullying!

If there is a strike the PS Unions will get no support from the public.

Having seen the public reaction of the last few days, the Govt will be able to pretend they have a spine and will be able to take on the unions with confidence.

I will no longer be posting in this thread.... what follows is details of an infraction I recieved for allegedly insulting poster 'lmimmfn'... If you find what I said insulting then I must apologise... I personnally do not find it insulting otherwise I would not have posted it... please read the following and give me feedback please.... this also includes my response to the 'mod'... like I said I do not post to insult people... I post to give my opinion and I expect it to be questioned... that is why we are all here!!!
    Scofflaw wrote:
    Dear Bruce2008,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
    Not acceptable.

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    [post]63329764[/post]
    lmimmfn wrote: »
    PS dont contribute to the tax take that the government use to pay the PS, private sector do.

Did you ever hear such sh*te... So where does all their tax go.... to the man in the moon... sorry to burst you balloon but tax go to the tax man....

lmimmfn wrote: »
    This painting with the same brush nonsense is getting a bit much, there are only a handful of bankers/directors that get those insane bonuses, its the same for the developers. Not only that, its a free market, capitalism, if you dont want that then vote for a commie government. The PS is not a capitalist workforce and therefore should never ever recieve the same terms in terms of salary( job for life and all that crap ).

I repeat...

Did you ever hear such sh*te...

I'm sorry lmimmfn but what are you on about.... or maybe what are you on???

All the best,
    boards.ie

This is my reply to the 'mod'

'Excuse me but what the hell is that for... insulting another member by calling what he saying is sh*te.... are you for real... call that an insult... do you read half these posts?

I'll tell you what is insulting

4 times, yes 4 times I have reported the following post as insulting to people affected by suicide, people with mental health problems and adopted people:

#42 post dated 1-12-2009 by sheepy99 in the post 'what would you say to bertie...' sheepy99 posted this~

"I would say something like "Please Bertie, invest in a strong sturdy rope and hang yourself" or else something like "you fat ****in basterd go kill yourself you waste of space you were adopted and arn't wanted in the world you corrupt , ugly , mentally retarded looking PENGUIN".

4 times I have reported this post and not one lousy reply form a 'mod' to even acknowledge my complaint.. and the post is still there!!! Now that is an insult... not what I said about someone talking sh*te...if that poster thinks that my coment was an insult he has not lived...

Now your turn... explain why
    1 - that insulting post is still there
    2 - No 'mod' even acknowledged my complaint
    3 - And what exact part of my post is insulting to this guy????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Yeah its well known the state and semi state jobs were rife with such nonsense and these practises were defended by the unions. I have read about similar things in an post where postmen were doing deliveries in a few hours and getting paid for full day then doing a 2nd delievery during their normal working day and getting paid for a further 8 hours for doing thie "overtime" during normal scheduled hours!
    Aer lingus mangement relased a simialr dossier on work practises there.
    Eircom workers got mega bucks in shares and dividend payemnts through their "ownership" incompany(amazing how capitalist all the trade unions in eircom became when the money was offered to them). Those assets were the states not the eircom workers.
    ESB workers are among the best paid utility workers in world getting mega money. Some had no work to do when their power plant shut down so they were getting paid for doing nothing for ages untill company agreed to give them early retirement and massive lump sums to go early.
    All this crap in public sector/state sector makes us less efficient, more expensive and allows the secure workers in the public sector to benefit substantially at expense of rest society. These PS workers and their mefis don trade union leaders have extracted multi billions of pay and perks over the years OVER the market rate for the work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I will no longer be posting in this thread.... what follows is details of an infraction I recieved for allegedly insulting poster 'lmimmfn'... If you find what I said insulting then I must apologise... I personnally do not find it insulting otherwise I would not have posted it... please read the following and give me feedback please.... this also includes my response to the 'mod'... like I said I do not post to insult people... I post to give my opinion and I expect it to be questioned... that is why we are all here!!!

This is my reply to the 'mod'

'Excuse me but what the hell is that for... insulting another member by calling what he saying is sh*te.... are you for real... call that an insult... do you read half these posts?

I'll tell you what is insulting

4 times, yes 4 times I have reported the following post as insulting to people affected by suicide, people with mental health problems and adopted people:

#42 post dated 1-12-2009 by sheepy99 in the post 'what would you say to bertie...' sheepy99 posted this~

"I would say something like "Please Bertie, invest in a strong sturdy rope and hang yourself" or else something like "you fat ****in basterd go kill yourself you waste of space you were adopted and arn't wanted in the world you corrupt , ugly , mentally retarded looking PENGUIN".

4 times I have reported this post and not one lousy reply form a 'mod' to even acknowledge my complaint.. and the post is still there!!! Now that is an insult... not what I said about someone talking sh*te...if that poster thinks that my coment was an insult he has not lived...

Now your turn... explain why
    1 - that insulting post is still there
    2 - No 'mod' even acknowledged my complaint
    3 - And what exact part of my post is insulting to this guy????

Do not under any circumstances argue moderation in a thread. Do it via PM. Doing it in threads will get you banned and we don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I am a front line public service worker and my take home pay after tax is €301 p/w. If I receive another pay cut, I simply will not be able to pay my mortgage. There is no overtime where I am. My mortgage is a grand.

I cannot afford another hit. I can barely survive at the moment. Why the hell would I work for €250 p/w when I can sit on my bum all day and get €204 off the government?

There is no way I'm going to continue working for so little money. I'm simply going to quit and earn practically as much, but without putting myself at risk every day as I do. I know others working with me feel the same. I'd rather claim the dole than work as a slave.

Cuchulain wrote: »
    He was referring the the public sector employees not the union leaders. I read some of these forums to make me feel better. The tripe written about the public sector is pure comedy. Generally they fall into these groups

1)People who have no idea what they are talking about
    2)People who have been let off and want somebody to blame
    3)People who wouldnt take public sector jobs when they were available because the pay was too low
    4)People who feel sorry for themselves because they cant live the high life they had in the recession.

Get on with your lives and stop worrying about other people. Get yourself some education, both formal and informal. Dont all be such a big bunch of moaners.

Great post. Point 3 is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I am a front line public service worker and my take home pay after tax is €301 p/w. If I receive another pay cut, I simply will not be able to pay my mortgage. There is no overtime where I am. My mortgage is a grand.

How on Earth did you get a mortgage of 1K with take home just over 300 quid a week? Also, why did you take out such a large mortgage when you were being paid so little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

I don't understand why you keep linking to that thread.

Have you something to say ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

dclane wrote: »
    A year ago I was working in Dublin, commuting from a small town in Kildare. I used to drive over to the train station in Sallins everyday. Our new neighbours moved in beside us, they were two Guards. One of them worked locally and other worked in Store street and didnt know how to drive. after a while he came over to ask me if he could get a lift to the train with me in the mornings. The evenings did not require him to come with me since he finished work at 3pm.

After 5 months of him coming in the car with me every morning, he one morning said to me and I quote. "Isn't it great..I get a free lift with you in the mornings, then flash the Garda badge on the train and get free into Houston station, free on the luas up to Store Street, free breakfast, luch and dinner, free luas down to my bus, and then flash the garda badge again for free trip home. On top of this he was getting paid a full 12 hour day for woking essentially 6 hours, when he went into the office at weekends he was getting 12 hours+ overtime. His wife gets more or less the same. I had to pay full wack for everything including the petrol!

I forgot to mention that he was tying the lace on his free Garda boots whilst resting his boot on my dashboard. Needless to say I lost my rag completely with him.

I have since lost my job, lost my car and had to move out of the area due to redundancy. That Guard is still commuting in and commanding a salary of over 80k with overtime plus allowances, he is at normal grade and works in the office based division. never walks the beat or leaves the office.

Is this fair?

about fcuking time the public service was found out for what it is! A complete and utter sham!

basically your telling us you let him treat you like a mug for 5 months?????? not one cent toward petrol??? then you b1tch about it on an internet forum, open your mouth man and maybe you wouldnt be such a door mat

Is this fair?

basically your telling us you let him treat you like a mug for 5 months?????? not one cent toward petrol??? then you b1tch about it on an internet forum, open your mouth man and maybe you wouldnt be such a door mat

I think this is ridiculous. My brother is a Guard in the city center.

I showed him this post and asked him about it.

No way is that lad of 80k per year. 80k? Are you absolutely crazy? Plus, there is no way he is getting free breakfast, lunch and dinner anywhere. That might happen in some obscure place down in the country, but the Gards in the likes of the big city center stations do not get free breakfast lunch or dinner.

So either he was lying to you or you just completely made it up.

And, according to my brother, there is no overtime in Store St and Pearse St. The only overtime you can get is if you go to court apparently, and that is usually arranged that it's on your working day anyway.

80k and free food is pure waffle.

nesf wrote: »
    How on Earth did you get a mortgage of 1K with take home just over 300 quid a week? Also, why did you take out such a large mortgage when you were being paid so little?

I wasn't been paid just 300 quid at the time. Cuts have brought me down from about 370. It was too easy to get a mortgage, I agree. I shouldn't have got one. But when I got the mortgage originally, I never thought for one second that I was going to be hit with a big pay cut, as I have been with the cut itself and the levy. And then there is another one to come. I got the mortgage based on the premise that I would be earning a certain amount, although small enough, but enough to live on. I never thought for a second that my pay would be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I wasn't been paid just 300 quid at the time. Cuts have brought me down from about 370. It was too easy to get a mortgage, I agree. I shouldn't have got one. But when I got the mortgage originally, I never thought for one second that I was going to be hit with a big pay cut, as I have been with the cut itself and the levy. And then there is another one to come. I got the mortgage based on the premise that I would be earning a certain amount, although small enough, but enough to live on. I never thought for a second that my pay would be reduced.

As a mortgage broker, even in the best times & as easy as it was to get a mortgage, you would not of gotten a mortgage that costs you €1000 per month on a net salary of €370 x 4 . .

Im sorry but your figures simply do not add up. That of course assumes that you speak as a single applicant or took out a mortgage with a partner/parent .

And paycuts have brought your salary down by 19% ?

Then you mentioned your salary going from €300 down to €250 ? Thats a 17% paycut . .

So you are saying you will be taking a 29% paycut ? ?

Overall, your maths SOUNDS like its simply madeup as it doesnt make any sense . . . I will stand corrected , if you can explain exactly how your dramatically high paycut was not reported anywhere, and if you can elaborate on the mortgage you got . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Don't forget that they are net figures the poster is referring to also ! :confused:

It really doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I cannot afford another hit. I can barely survive at the moment. Why the hell would I work for €250 p/w when I can sit on my bum all day and get €204 off the government?

There is no way I'm going to continue working for so little money. I'm simply going to quit and earn practically as much, but without putting myself at risk every day as I do. I know others working with me feel the same. I'd rather claim the dole than work as a slave.

Name Changed, I'm a low paid PS worker too and I got a 180K mortgage on my €415 per week income in 2007. Mortgages weren't that hard to get back then.

But one thing is for sure you will get absolutely no sympathy from anyone on here because you are a PS worker. If you had the same story as a private sector worker it would be all - ah poor you its terrible isn't it... followed by a rant against the PS freeloaders.

I have sympathy for you because I am struggling similarly and another paycut will be a nightmare. I noticed the only reaction you got was why did you over stretch yourself, your a liar etc :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gerry28 wrote: »
    Name Changed, I'm a low paid PS worker too and I got a 180K mortgage on my €415 per week income in 2007. Mortgages weren't that hard to get back then.

But one thing is for sure you will get absolutely no sympathy from anyone on here because you are a PS worker. If you had the same story as a private sector worker it would be all - ah poor you its terrible isn't it... followed by a rant against the PS freeloaders.

I have sympathy for you because I am struggling similarly and another paycut will be a nightmare. I noticed the only reaction you got was why did you over stretch yourself, your a liar etc :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a crock . . You dont get any sympathy because you ignore the most basic questions as to why you are "feeling the pain" anymore then the average joe in any job . . And its this attitude that "we dont get sympathy" and "we have already taken pain" that gets up most private sector employees wick more then anything. Its as if the rest of us are laughing and living it up at the expense of the public service. Your ill educated, ill informed opinions simply mirror that or a militant union that PUBLICALLY doesn awknowledge the fact that the WHOLE COUNTRY is feeling the pain . . Privately they know damn well that they are out of order, but are just trying to justify their existance . .

And when you post figures without qualifying or explaining how they worked them out (without qualifying their post), then you cant expect people to just accept what you say as the truth . . Yeh, I work in the financial services industry and get mortgages for people, but what do I know . . .

At the end of the day, from what I have read from you in particular (not every public servant is this way), you are come across as deluded and self centred and don't want to hear anybody elses view if it in anyway takes away from your own self serving arguement on public service paycuts. All you are looking for is pity and people to agree with your own one sided view of things . . .

Im not going to go into it in detail as in one post, you refused to answer half my questions because they highlighted the hypocracy and downright ignorance of certain stances taken that the public service wants "shared pain". . All I say to anybody reading this is simply look up some of your replies in the last day or so to see how "balanced" your views are . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

gerry28 wrote: »

Gerry if people like myself have an issue with you, it is not because you are a lower pad public sector worker.

It is because you are simply hiding behind your union when reform is sought, it is because you are failing to do the right thing and STAND UP and CALL OUT where public money is being p*ssed all over the place where you work.

I don't want public sector workers living on the breadline, but I'm not prepared to accept anymore that you guys have terms & conditions that are simply not realistic in 2009. Jobs for life, no real performance reviews, automatic pay increments, questionable holidays in some professions, a whole tier of management in the public sector that is overpaid and that doesn't even have to manage because those under the manager cannot be fired. You might be low paid at the moment, but after a few years you will be substantially better paid than your private sector equivilent, with none of the risk or accountability that comes with a private sector employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Is this fair?

guards have always gotten special treatment when it comes to the retail sector or any other , when they go to buy a car , they can expect a discount the rest of us could only dream of , i have an aunt who is married to a guards , an inspector , sound man and the kind of guy who was born to be a policeman , he recently built on an extension to his house , he is extremley good with his hands hand done everything himself , his costs were significantly reduced by the fact that the local hire centre owner didnt charge him for a cement mixer , a con saw or a power float , being a guard provides you with many perks , official and UNOFFICIAL ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

People keep posting about how private sector workers refused to take public jobs because "The pay was too low". But the other side of the coin is to ask how many teachers, for example, leave the profession to work in the private sector?

Advertisement