Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have the Public Servants won the dispute?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

This is rediculous! The only alternative to not giving drastic pay and benefit cuts to civil servants is to raise taxes (unpaid leave! are u kidding!)... and if you think private sector workers like myself are going to take it lying down then the government better wake up! We won't fund their grossly overpaid jobs or pensions! :mad:

Yes we will. (I'm one of them). I knew it would come down to this either way. Same old same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This farce is going to save 300m (assuming public sector workers agree to it), so wheres the other 1 billion coming from :confused:

Absolute farce tbh. Cowen is the unions bitch. Bastards didnt even give him lube if today's news is anything to go by :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Sizzler wrote: »
    This farce is going to save 300m (assuming public sector workers agree to it), so wheres the other 1 billion coming from :confused:

Absolute farce tbh. Cowen is the unions bitch. Bastards didnt even give him lube if today's news is anything to go by :eek:

thats going a bit far considering we know very little of whats contained within these proposals. not exactly the language of a mature and grown up debate now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

thats going a bit far considering we know very little of whats contained within these proposals. not exactly the language of a mature and grown up debate now is it?

Fairly typical of the appetite that exists out there for instant gratification from people losing their jobs, pay and pensions in the public sector and the slashing of social welfare and OAP pension payments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

Sizzler wrote: »
    ... Cowen is the unions bitch...

You're forgetting your history already? That was Bertie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

taxpayer has been sold out,basically a "payfreeze" for public sec or increase in taxes in for the private sector...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

civil srvants have already taken a pay cut this year. i think 12 or whatever unpaid leave days is fair so it is. the money is now being saved or on the way to at least.

as a civil servant i have to say i can swalow that pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Fred83 wrote: »
    increase in taxes in for the private sector...

These will have absolutely no effect on a public sector worker. FACT! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Re the title. Yes. Less work for slightly less pay, a sweet deal. Looks like the real cuts will fall on the sick, the unemployed and the middle classes with families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

stevoman wrote: »
    civil srvants have already taken a pay cut this year. i think 12 or whatever unpaid leave days is fair so it is. the money is now being saved or on the way to at least.

as a civil servant i have to say i can swalow that pill.

You did NOT take a pay cut, you are contributing to your already cushy pension...

Another 10% at least, and we'll be on our way to recovery... so stfu with your bull****... this is reality my friend, taxes are already to high! And the private sector workers will not be able to fund this public sector fiasco!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

This is rediculous! The only alternative to not giving drastic pay and benefit cuts to civil servants is to raise taxes (unpaid leave! are u kidding!)... and if you think private sector workers like myself are going to take it lying down then the government better wake up! We won't fund their grossly overpaid jobs or pensions! :mad:

I'm pretty pleased with how things went today overall. I mean, it sucks that I'll have to take a bunch of days off without getting paid for them, but overall it beats a straightforward paycut. It'll be nice to have a few extra days next year to relax. Don't know why people are getting so wound up tbh, it's a fairly good result all round I would have thought. Taxpayer (which includes the Public Sector I might add) saves loads which should placate the whingers for a bit and the Public Sector don't get completely rode even though they will get less pay. Win win :)

I'm pretty pleased with how things went today overall. I mean, it sucks that I'll have to take a bunch of days off without getting paid for them, but overall it beats a straightforward paycut. It'll be nice to have a few extra days next year to relax. Don't know why people are getting so wound up tbh, it's a fairly good result all round I would have thought. Taxpayer (which includes the Public Sector I might add) saves loads which should placate the whingers for a bit and the Public Sector don't get completely rode even though they will get less pay. Win win :)

So, they are also hiring retards for the public sector?

This is where our taxes are going people!!

So, they are also hiring retards for the public sector?

This is where our taxes are going people!!

At least I can spell mate, so who's the real retard here? Anyway, no need to get so uptight, accept it, you got your pound of flesh, you're just not happy that the Public Sector didn't get more screwed. It's a great outcome for all.

You did NOT take a pay cut, you are contributing to your already cushy pension...

Another 10% at least, and we'll be on our way to recovery... so stfu with your bull****... this is reality my friend, taxes are already to high! And the private sector workers will not be able to fund this public sector fiasco!

ooohhhh pull that lemon out of your mouth :p

my "pension levy" goes straight back into the exchequer and the reason why i took a civil service job and stuck it out with crappy wages during the good times when all my friends were making good money was for the job security and the state pension and i wont deny it for a minute. my gamble in career choice has paid off and i am happy to take this unpaid leave. i think its good deal made by my union in the circumstances.

ps - im not your friend. ;)

At least I can spell mate, so who's the real retard here? Anyway, no need to get so uptight, accept it, you got your pound of flesh, you're just not happy that the Public Sector didn't get more screwed. It's a great outcome for all.

What did I not spell correctly? lmao... Also, your right about one thing, us retards in the private sector are paying a massive amount of tax to keep the public sector pay bill as it is... but not much longer!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

:rolleyes:

This is rediculous! :mad:

LMAO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

ooohhhh pull that lemon out of your mouth :p

my "pension levy" goes straight back into the exchequer and the reason why i took a civil service job and stuck it out with crappy wages during the good times when all my friends were making good money was for the job security and the state pension and i wont deny it for a minute. my gamble in career choice has paid off and i am happy to take this unpaid leave. i think its good deal made by my union in the circumstances.

ps - im not your friend. ;)

Will the PS workers that earn tiny amounts of money agree? And what job do you do that pays less than its private sector equivalent? Any job I know pays more in the public service than the private service.

What did I not spell correctly? lmao... Also, your right about one thing, us retards in the private sector are paying a massive amount of tax to keep the public sector pay bill as it is... but not much longer!

Oh no, I just sh*t myself with fear...

LMAO!

lol, you need to go back to school!!! and yes, you will be taking another pay cut I'm afraid.... you enjoy that now :D

• Advertisement

omahaid wrote: »
    Will the PS workers that earn tiny amounts of money agree? And what job do you do that pays less than its private sector equivalent? Any job I know pays more in the public service than the private service.

well tbh i make €460 a week after 10 years in the job. i have a mortgage, child an partner who isnt working and im not complaining. More pay cuts were coming and that was the reality. at least now its not a full on pay cut and when economic recovery does happen it will be easier to fight to get back to work on the days you had to take unpaid leave rather that fight for a pay rise so i think its a good situation in a bad time.

lol, you need to go back to school!!! and yes, you will be taking another pay cut I'm afraid.... you enjoy that now :D

I'd check that again if I were you, I hope you don't work as a typesetter or anything like that. And I'll be taking another pay cut alright, just this one comes with free days off. Score!

and yes, you will be taking another pay cut I'm afraid.... you enjoy that now :D

then why all the complaining :rolleyes:

well tbh i make €460 a week after 10 years in the job. i have a mortgage, child an partner who isnt working and im not complaining. More pay cuts were coming and that was the reality. at least now its not a full on pay cut and when economic recovery does happen it will be easier to fight to get back to work on the days you had to take unpaid leave rather that fight for a pay rise so i think its a good situation in a bad time.

Your on €460 a week (assuming your partner earned around the same) and you took out a mortgage! lmao, I don't know who to blame more, you or the banks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I work in both private and public sector, my private income has increased but my public income has decreased by over 10%,

Billions are being poured into the private sector to keep "cash flow" going ( not sure if its a good idea tbh).

The fairest way would be to have a bit off everyone, reduce tax credits or tax free allowance whatever its called, increase the higher rate of income tax.
    pay cut for civil/public servants.
    Tax breaks for employment generating schemes eg home improvements etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

On a bit of a rant now. Once you pop, you can't stop!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Sorry to take this discussion away from the sniping, but can anyone say whether the propsed 14 days are 14 work days or 10 working days? I can't tell if they're talking about 14 days in terms of 2 weeks (which would be 10 working days, if you get me?).

Your on €460 a week (assuming your partner earned around the same) and you took out a mortgage! lmao, I don't know who to blame more, you or the banks!!!

i have an affordable house and my mortgage is only €500 a month as im on a variable rate. im not in any finacial difficulties at all thank god.

christ you really are a petty little person.

Sorry to take this discussion away from the sniping, but can anyone say whether the propsed 14 days are 14 work days or 10 working days? I can't tell if they're talking about 14 days in terms of 2 weeks (which would be 10 working days, if you get me?).

as far as im would thin it would be one day a month with 2 of those months you have to take two days unpaid or something to that effect but its all pie in the sky at the moment.

• Advertisement

i have an affordable house and my mortgage is only €500 a month as im on a variable rate. im not in any finacial difficulties at all thank god.

christ you really are a petty little person.

Thats another place we can cut our spending :D "An affordable house" lmao, do you think your neighbours love paying a full mortgage! lmao

Advertisement