Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently playing through Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (or bowser's inside story) and I received Etrian Odyssey today. Still waiting on Suikoden Tierkreis from play-asia.

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 is a great fun game that turns the typical turn based combat into a system that requires flex skill from the player.

Etrian Odyssey on the other hand is a dungeon crawler lacking on story. It's extremely hard. I hadn't even completed the first mission and I've nearly had my party wipe several times. Using the DS's bottom screen to draw the dungeon map is very interesting aswell.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only played a bit of Etrian Odyssey. I got to the second floor and got my ass handed to me by some weird deer creature. It's really tough and old school.

The only RPG I'm really concentrating on at the moment is Pokemon Green Leaf which is excellent and very addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I am playing Person3 on the ps2.

I've played Etrian Odyssey 2 and quite enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I only played a bit of Etrian Odyssey..

Never heard of that,what console is that on?

Trying to finish rogue galaxy but Im stuck ona flipping boss :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Never heard of that,what console is that on?
    Only one of the greatest consoles of all time, the DS. Which reminds me I've been neglecting my DS, poor thing, I'll have to get EO at some point.

As usual, I'm playing far too many games, many of which are JRPGs.

Persona 3 FES: I'm starting to get into the swing of things now, enjoying it a helluva lot and surprised at the sudden introduction of lots of new characters.
    (Like some hippie-Jesus looking dude who shot some guy.)
    Digital Devil Saga: Only one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's time my lovelies, if you haven't bought this game you need to get down to your local GameStop, root through the P to T section of the PS2 section and bask in the glory of this game. It's only a tenner. (Beware if you're playing on a PS3 though, it can take a few times reseting the game to get it to start up, but once it does start there are no issues in game).
    SMT: Lucifer' Call: Playing this and DDS every now and then, usually devote a couple of hours at the weekend to playing them. This game is such a joy to play, communicating with demons is always a blast.
    Demon's Souls: Does this count as a JRPG, possibly not, but it was delivered yesterday so I'm going to talk about it. I got as far as the first boss, which was kinda easy (turpentine + sword = fire sword = phalanx death). Really enjoying it so far, it's exceeded my expectations, although it's not quite as hard as I thought it would be - I'm sure it'll bring on the pain in due course. It's like a much darker and deeper Severance. (Except with more RPG and online elements and without the beating enemies with their compatriot's severed limbs...)

An honourable mention go to Star Ocean: First Departure: and Final Fantasy VII: which I was playing quite a bit, but then I got my PSPgo... I'll have to get back into them this weekend. Or not, I have enough games to play. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pokemon has made me it's bitch. Up until 3 in the morning last night playing it. Think I'll start on Mother 3 when I finish. I heard it could well be the best JRPG ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pokemon has made me it's bitch. Up until 3 in the morning last night playing it. Think I'll start on Mother 3 when I finish. I heard it could well be the best JRPG ever made.

Speaking of mother 3. My wii is now homebrew enabled to play the fan translation :D

Jermey Parish was talking about Shin Megami Tensei on the gamespite blog. Says he has had it for 2 days but somehow managed to sink 10 hours into it and it sounds like he is loving it. Can't wait!

Jermey Parish was talking about Shin Megami Tensei on the gamespite blog. Says he has had it for 2 days but somehow managed to sink 10 hours into it and it sounds like he is loving it. Can't wait!

I wish he'd get an episode of ATB up. Apparently it was recorded before thanksgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

anyone any suggestions for what to get off PSN? I've only got the European one so should i just invest in the US store?

Coz i just finished Grandia 2 again :D

RPG-wise?

The european store is pretty ****. Everything available on it is on the US PSN except the EU games all have terrible pal conversions with slowdown, slower music and hideous black borders.

Definitely get your games from the US and Jap PSN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When you talk about all the best JRPGs being on the DS Retro, do you just mean Mario and Pokemon games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Its been a while sine I played an RPG, and even longer since I finished one, but I started Lost Odyssey a little while ago.. And all was going well til I got to the first boss!, Grilgan I think. Gonna have to grind a bit to beat him methinks, and I must be awful.

Enjoying it nonetheless.. switching between it and Dragon Age for a break, in between bouts of MW2, Uncharted and Forza

The first boss of lost odyssey is by far the hardest. I recommend changing rings to beat him. You'll do more damage with the right elemental.

As for the best RPGs on the DS, there's nothing wrong with Pokemon and the Mario games :) There's also Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2, The World ends with You and loads of othrs I can't think of because I'm too hung over :( You can't discount the excellent GBA RPGs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

The first boss of lost odyssey is by far the hardest. I recommend changing rings to beat him. You'll do more damage with the right elemental.

Yup just beat Grilgan there with a bit of magic.. tough for a first boss tho!

Just remembered how much I liked the intro to the game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I am playing Mana Khemia Student Alliance for Psp, I was playing Persona on Psp but have misplaced the disc also looking forward to starting Tales of the World tonight.

I'm back on the wagon. I started back into Persona 4 and I'm appreciating it a hell of a lot more after taking a break from it. It wasn't clevergoing straight into it after finishing P3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still playing tales of vesperia,got back into it last night for the first time in months and finally got past that boss I was stuck on.

Almost done Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on the ds.

Im back playing rogue galaxy again seeing if I can finish it once and for all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm gonna buy myself a DS in the next few days, with Pokemon and The World Ends with You. Any other must have rpg's?

• Advertisement

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    Final Fantasy 4
    Chrono Trigger
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Those are the big ones I think.

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    Final Fantasy 4
    Chrono Trigger
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Those are the big ones I think.

Are you playing chrono trigger on the ps?

Are you playing chrono trigger on the ps?
    I am playing Zelda Spirit Tracks at the moment but I've played Chrono Trigger on the DS. Just listing some games for Kiith.

Oh :o

I'm playing suikoden tierkreis.

Really enjoying it so far. I don't see what peoples problems are with it. It's suikoden designed for portable device and suits it perfectly.

It's just the Suikoden hardcore moaning that the game doesn't fit into the Suikoden timeline and universe and that it's more of a traditional RPG story rather than the more war and politics based Suikoden storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Im back playing rogue galaxy again seeing if I can finish it once and for all.

Hmmmm I might go back for another run-through. Absolutely loved that game.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up Magna Carta II and I'm giving FFVIII another go - this time on PSP. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I did first time around, I think it's because I'm not disappointed that it's not FFVII now and I can appreciate it for what it is.

The second time around you understand how the junction system actually works. Unfortunately you also understand how easy it is to break the game. I ended up playing through the game the second time around using only physical attacks becasue they became so powerful when I found out how to break the game with junctioned magic and prioritising the learning and us of +1 stats at level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I still have to give FFVIII another go over...i didnt realise how much more important collecting the spells were to using them till half way through.

Whats the point in having spells is you just ment to store them o_O

• Advertisement

Thats one flaw with the game, a pretty big one :)

Advertisement