Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Started the English fan translation of Front Mission 5. So far it seems to be more like FM3 than the disappointing FM4 with smaller battlegrounds and less enemies. The story seems to have some of the neo square enix rot in it though but the series always had a weak story so if it is half as good as Front Mission 3 I'll be a happy retr0.

Is that on the xbox 360?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well I just finished DQIV. Completed the original 5 chapters and the additional optional chapter 6. Chapter 6 may not be as fleshed out as the others but it makes understanding the very last screen before the credits easier.

Really enjoyed it and would recommend it for people interested in JRPGs to give it a go. I'm now a fan of Yuji Horii's work.

Now to decide what to play next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭ec18

lost odyssey atm great fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

ec18 wrote: »
    lost odyssey atm great fun :D

LO was boring boring boring. Interesting story premise marred by boring, overly brooding characters, who in the end spend literally the whole game going after one guy. Interesting battle system though, I'll admit that. Despite what I thought, I did end up doing almost all the side quests, which is a first for me, as I only do most of them usually. However, I only did them for the Achievements. I think Rogue Galaxy was made a much better experience because I just came off of LO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Just finished Zelda: Spirit tracks

not really a Zelda person, but the game was excellently done, really impressed.

How can anyone not be a zelda fan? Does not compute.

It might be that it just took me a while to appreciate it's "minimalism" I suppose.

Further proof of this seems to be each Zelda I play gets progressivly more enjoyable. I would have givin the first Zelda game I played (ocarina of time) a smiling 6, The twilight Princess (the next one I played) a grinning 7 or 8 and this one a very contented 9.

again, it could just be that they've co-incidentally got better, but it's much more likely that I'm starting to see past their good side, to their excellent side. If I went back and played some others I'd probibly enjoy them alot more.

Update of FF tactics A2: I bit the bullet and looked at an online FAQ to try find out how to unlock missions: Shock horror! I've been finished the game for ages!! I though every square contained a mission, but it didn't! I had a complete board for ages and was in bits trying to unlock more missions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just finished FFVII for the zillionth time and I've just got hold of FFVIII and FFIX... happy times ahead:D

It might be that it just took me a while to appreciate it's "minimalism" I suppose.

Further proof of this seems to be each Zelda I play gets progressivly more enjoyable. I would have givin the first Zelda game I played (ocarina of time) a smiling 6, The twilight Princess (the next one I played) a grinning 7 or 8 and this one a very contented 9.

again, it could just be that they've co-incidentally got better, but it's much more likely that I'm starting to see past their good side, to their excellent side. If I went back and played some others I'd probibly enjoy them alot more.

Update of FF tactics A2: I bit the bullet and looked at an online FAQ to try find out how to unlock missions: Shock horror! I've been finished the game for ages!! I though every square contained a mission, but it didn't! I had a complete board for ages and was in bits trying to unlock more missions!

Eh, I thought OoT was the best one, followed by TP. I've had a hard time committing to the DS games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure you could call the zelda games minimalist unless you are expecting an RPG because they aren't RPGs.

I've found the DS zeldas, while good, by far the most disappointing games in the series and find the stylus control uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Starting Chrono Cross on my PSP.

I've found the DS zeldas, while good, by far the most disappointing games in the series and find the stylus control uncomfortable.

Have you tried spirit tracks?

I found it much better then Phantom Hourglass. I thought it was better then Minish Cap as well.

Starting Chrono Cross on my PSP.

Tell me if it's any good. I hear mixed reports. The bad ones are usually that it's a rotten follow up to chrono trigger and the good ones are the people that take the game as it's own entity. I tried to play it and enjoyed it but got hopelessly stuck in a very early dungeon and never returned.
    Have you tried spirit tracks?

I found it much better then Phantom Hourglass. I thought it was better then Minish Cap as well.

No I haven't tried it yet. Glad to hear it's better than spirit tracks although I still don't like the stylus controls.

The stylus I though was fine, my only quibbles is moving the camera of the train, when your trying to move it to the left of screen or shoot enemies they constantly miss becasue the whistle and gear lever get in your way.

also jumping into oblivion should be a little harder to do, I've often equipped the whip but not activated it, and acidentally tapped the little wood log thing to have Link just leap off the edge and die. very silly and easy to rectify, in an otherwise very smooth game.
    I hear mixed reports. The bad ones are usually that it's a rotten follow up to chrono trigger and the good ones are the people that take the game as it's own entity
    Sounds like FF9 syndrome; Great game in it's own right, but battling under the shadow of a great prequil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

White Knight Chronicles is excellent been playing for 2 days and I love everything about it especially the battle system and the online :D

Sounds like FF9 syndrome; Great game in it's own right, but battling under the shadow of a great prequil.

Are you joking me? Final Fantasy 9 was wonderful, I probably prefer it the most of the PS1 FF games other than FF Tactics. FF8 for me was a complete mess. Well it wasn't a complete mess because it was still great fun to play but the mechanics weren't fun, the story was dirt and the characters should have been strangled.

Well I just won Etrian Odyssey 2 for £10 on eBay so I guess I'll be having a look at that during the week :)

Well I just won Etrian Odyssey 2 for £10 on eBay so I guess I'll be having a look at that during the week :)

Just turn off the voices and you'll be fine, it's actually an enjoyable little game with a decent story.

Are you joking me? Final Fantasy 9 was wonderful, I probably prefer it the most of the PS1 FF games other than FF Tactics. FF8 for me was a complete mess. Well it wasn't a complete mess because it was still great fun to play but the mechanics weren't fun, the story was dirt and the characters should have been strangled.

Story and character-wise, FF8 destroys FFIX. The characters in 9 (Namely Quina, Steiner and Zidane) annoyed the hell out of me. I applaud Square for going back to a fantastical environment, and the nods to previous FFs were a nice touch, but a lot of the charm that made those first few games so memorable was lost.

But yeah, FFT was the best PS1 FF game hands down.

• Advertisement

FFVIII's story was a mess and it's characters one dimentional. Squall pretty much invented Emo, while FFIX had the most believable and humane character the series has ever had in Vivi.

I still haven't forgiven FFVIII for
    ohhh, actually all the main characters were kids in the same orphanage but somehow forget. Oh well.

FFVIII's story was a mess and it's characters one dimentional. Squall pretty much invented Emo, while FFIX had the most believable and humane character the series has ever had in Vivi.

I still haven't forgiven FFVIII for
    ohhh, actually all the main characters were kids in the same orphanage but somehow forget. Oh well.

Oh yeah, that's right. FF 90210. I remember now. Ok you're right. Zidane Steiner and Quina still annoy the hell out of me.

I don't see the hate for Steiner. I liked him as a character and he made a good comic relief for the start of the game.

As for the spoiler super_furry mentions it's even worse when you consider
    Irvine knew about this all along but didn't think it was important to mention that the person the characters were out to assassinate brought them up as kids.

I still think FFIX has the better story despite it being very weak. The characters were better and made up for it and it was coherent and kept ticking along nicely despite not being strong storywise. FFVIII on the other hand is a total mess filled with plotholes and implausibilities and some of the most annoying characters ever not to mention a disgrace of a translation making things even worse.

S'up Squall! Fuijin gonna treat you ok!

That was actually written in the game and was supposed to be a threat.

Steiner just bugged me cos he was so short sighted and one dimensional until the very end of the game.

I wanna play both of them again now. :(

Just turn off the voices and you'll be fine, it's actually an enjoyable little game with a decent story.

This is the game. I don't think it has voices afaik :confused:

or are you confusing it with Albert Odyssey

Doh, I was thinking of Magna Carta 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

meh i found it very meh tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

Currently playing FFX-2, since I beat the final boss of FF12. I'll be going back to FF12 to complete the Sky Pirates Den and beat all the espers and hunts (almost done with the hunts) and all the rare game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nerd-rage.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Im assuming that was designed to burn a hole in the viewer's the retinas >_<

Advertisement