Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantis bashing

• 30-11-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who actually liked Atlantis? I know at times episodes were rushed, and Teyla's character (Seriously, learn how to say I'm instead of I am, and I'll instead of I will. Data did it, Tuvok did it, and it wasn't other worldly then either) was bland, but the whole storyline for me was epic. Learning that humanity had evolved from the ancients, and that there was a city in essence belonging to us out there full of technical breakthroughs which could fly!

I feel if they'd left the Micheal/Teyla's never ending baby storyline out of it we'd have had a better SGA overall, but I actually enjoyed the 5 seasons. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I completely disagree with you lol,

It did have some nice action episodes (i like pew pew) but over all i hated it. Even now if i watch a repeat i want to jump in the tv and punch McKay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I'm with ya buddy,
    Personally I found Atlantis to be the best of the SG shows; I hate Richard Dean Anderson with a passion and always wanted the Daniel Jackson character to die of space herpes from his snake headed wife.

H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I agree with all of you. :)

Tayla was pointless, McKay is the most unrealistic annoying person ever and Weir's face made me want to punch it. Sheppard and Ronan are the only two characters I'd care to watch in future Stargate roles.

That being said. I liked it for what it was. Family friendly tv with no thinking involved. I still watch the repeats. Its on now actually.

Oh god, im alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Feck. I loved McKay!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Feck. I loved McKay!
    You only loved McKay because he's so damn excellent! I liked him when I saw his guest appearances on SG-1 so I was delighted to see he'd made the full time SGA cast.

I think McKay and Sheppard made the show, with help from some of the supporting cast such as Zelenka. I'm also in the Teyla is dull camp and never had much time for Weir. The story lines stagnated a bit in the latter seasons (which is why it's good that SGU is taking a different slant) but I never began to hate it or wish for its cancellation.

Charter update by the way: You must like McKay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,629 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I rewatched lost tribe on Hulu last night - It just seemed so........

It was a cartoon.

Overheal wrote: »
    I rewatched lost tribe on Hulu last night - It just seemed so........

It was a cartoon.

Just watched it myself on Sky 2.

It was meh, trying to be a comedy and serious at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you look up Zelenka's character on Wikipedia, you get the translations for his Czech complaining. Some are very funny!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I loved Atlantis and was gutted when it ended. No doubt Shepard and Ronan are the most interesting characters but McKay had his moments too and the programme wouldn't be the same without him (imho). I'm watching it all over again (God bless Sky for repeats) and have it all on boxset (just in case, and SG, and the movies.......you know ...just in case)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it was a brilliant show, and how can ya not love McKay, david hewlett will be typecast forever in my eyes, i thought the casting was excellent, and thought gettin rid of ford in season 2 was genius, and moved the story along nicely, i liked that they got in contact with earth again,

for me the worse parts of the show occured after weir left, it was still a fun show to watch, but i think torri higginson did a great job when the show had its more serious episodes, i just couldnt accept carter or wolsey as leaders, both good caracter with good stargate backrounds, but they just didnt fit in in atlantis,

so far atlantis is kicking universes ass, for the last few years 2 months before each season started i rewatched all of atlantis, so when season 5 was 2 months away, i had a marathon of 4 seasons to watch, currently when season 2 of universe is 2 months away, ill have notin to watch,

except of course atlantis:D

P.S SG-1 also rocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

don ramo wrote: »
    david hewlett will be typecast forever in my eyes

Assuming he gets acting work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

I watched every episode

it was more on the standard of the last few seasons of sg1 and so far it is better than universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I watched every episode

it was more on the standard of the last few seasons of sg1 and so far it is better than universe.

Agreed the last two/three seasons were nothing compared to the earier seasons and the last two seemed to be filmed more in the way of SG:A..Just watched Meridian yesterday where Daniel dies and ascends..brilliant!

McKay, Sheppard, Zelenka and Beckett were the best characters although I did like Jewel Staite as Dr.Keller aswell. Did'nt like Weir and they should never have brought Carter in to the series! Woolsey worked..I think he did a good job in it to be fair.

McKay and Sheppard made the show though..I mean one of the best episode IMO was 'The Shrine'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Terrible show. Every character is a caricature of a human being instead of being someone you can empathise with or even care about. The plots were convoluted or just plain boring. Events were improbable, solutions were found impossibly quickly. To give an example, in one of the series Zelenka converts the Atlantis shield into a small enough and sturdy enough version to encapsulate the Stargate and contain a massive explosion, in a matter of seconds.

Connecting anything to anything, albeit a SG-1 invention, was further perpetuated and almost rubbed in our faces.

Of the individual characters the only ones of note were Zelenka and in the later series, Woolsey after he had taken over command of Atlantis and they took the time to develop the character. Of particular note was the double dealings at the judgement of the Atlantis expedition.

About the main characters, Teyla was boring, Ronin was completely one-dimensional, Sheppard was Ultra-Stoic and dont get me started on McKay. Need an instant fix, you know who to ask. Oh he'll deny it of course, and play hard to get but in the end he ALWAYS comes round. Rather silly when you hang the dramatic tension on a plot point that will be resolved harmlessly within 10 minutes of the end of the episode, or in a similar situation in a later episode.

I really could waffle on about my dislike for Atlantis as I enjoy talking about how much I dislike it more than I enjoy watching it.

Thats it in a nutshell. Sometimes there were some great performances (such as when Rodney shared his body with a feMarine) but as a whole piece, it really doesnt stand up that well.

God I miss Firefly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Ivan wrote: »
    Connecting anything to anything, albeit a SG-1 invention, was further perpetuated and almost rubbed in our faces.
    gotta love those dell crytals, made everything so much easier:D

you may have had one dimensional caracters. but i think atlantis was pure old school sci-fi for the 00s, it was almost campy at times, it was just a really fun show to watch, you couldnt take it seriously, the more serious people watched BSG, i like a bit of both TBH so i watched both shows, between them i got eveything i wanted on a saturday evening,

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

As a SG1 fan first, I was worried but still excited about a spin off. I knew something was not quite right when my missus, who hates scifi, really enjoyed atlantis:eek:
    now, don't get me wrong, it was decent to a point but too cartoony for my liking...
    The Good: Sheppard/Mckay (lemons anyone?) and , of course, TODD!!
    The Bad: Tayla, Tayla's baby, Tayla's people, Tay....well,you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

i absolutely loved Atlantis, McKay was excellent, and i loved Carson as well.

how has no-one mentioned the Wraith so far? i ****ing loved those guys, space vampires: YES! so much better than the Goa'uld or the Ori (puke), and there was a few awesome space battles which i love.

some good season cliff hangers too, except the one between 4&5 (i think) where the building collapses on them, now that was bad. was so gutted when they decided to end after season 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i feel that the show kinda revolved around Sheppard and MaKay, followed by people like Wier, Beckett and Zelenka. Tayla and Ronin were okay, but never really grew on me. having Carter in season 4 was a wasted oppertuity.

Advertisement