Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wagtail ( vicon)versus disc spreaders

• 30-11-2009 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi thinking of upgrading my disc spreader . From the talking to a few friends they remain very loyal to wagtail ,talking about how little fert ends up on tractor. was just wondering what the boards crew see as the advantages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 soon30

we replaced our vicon wagtail with an abbey wagtail 3 years ago vicon are very good but the abbey seemed to be as good but better value the reason we didnt go for the disc spreader was that you cant set hay seed properly with them.That said disc spreders are supposed to be more accurate at applying fert and cover a larger distance saving time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Just remember the wagtail is there when reversing up against a building :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

We have always had Amazone spreaders and very little ever ends up on the tractor. I wouldn't have anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

amazone in my experience scatter fertilizer on the tractor as much as any make , they are a good spreader but thier are better spreaders , rauch , sulky or bogballe would be better but considerabley more expensive , btw , thier is a dealer named billy o dywer in tipperary who has the dealership on a turkish built spreader which is identical to an amazone from a few years ago , i saw it at the ploughing and it looked well built , two grand for a tonne capacity with hydraulic shut off which is 1200 quid cheaper than an amazone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Would agree there, if you buy a good quality disc spinner spreader they can be very good, had one for years, however changed it for an abbey wagtail 1ton, and it is very good at getting a good spread, not too good for the Granulated lime, have a 5 bag Vicon as well, they are good, but the extra expense does not justify it over the Abbey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭roadtripman

Have a amazone 1402, only a few grain of fertilizer on tractor after a days work, easy to wash off as u'd be washing spreader anyway. Disc is the only job for my being in reps and growing corn, just pop on the boundary vane and all the fertilizer stays in the field not the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Sisu200 wrote: »
    Would agree there, if you buy a good quality disc spinner spreader they can be very good, had one for years, however changed it for an abbey wagtail 1ton, and it is very good at getting a good spread, not too good for the Granulated lime, have a 5 bag Vicon as well, they are good, but the extra expense does not justify it over the Abbey

Priced both Abbey and Vicon 700kgs today and the Vicon was 300 euro cheaper. Admittedly the Abbey , i think , was 800 kg capacity and both included hydraulic shut-off . Both wagtails .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Priced both Abbey and Vicon 700kgs today and the Vicon was 300 euro cheaper. Admittedly the Abbey , i think , was 800 kg capacity and both included hydraulic shut-off . Both wagtails .

vicon is usually close to a grand dearer than abbey

Advertisement