Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statues and such

Options
  • 30-11-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

I really think Cork should have more statues and Monuments etc,when ever I'm up in Dublin I'm really enviouse at the amount they have,and even then compared to most other European citys its not allot.

I can remember being told that cork used to be littered with them a century ago but with things such as rebellions and such they took em in for safe keeping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Some got thrown in the river too! Grand Parade used to be called Sráid an Capaill Bhuí, or street of the yellow horse, reason is here :

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/grandparade/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

It's odd to think allright that ships used to go up and down certain streets.

Thinking though,that was a British statue,what would ones that could be sculpted now be?

Irish Rebels,Poets,Scientists etc?

Atm there seems to only be Fr Mat,The Rebel Monument and the paper boy((Excluding the Cloins one etc as its not in the city centre)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

A statue of Denis Irwin would be appropriate I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Seloth wrote: »
    It's odd to think allright that ships used to go up and down certain streets.

The evidence for this is still dotted everywhere. On the grand parade, one of the four canons used to defend the city is turned upsidedown on the corner of Bishop Lucey Park/Tuckey Street - opposite HillBillies. This was a mooring point for boats.

The Southmall is probably the best remaining evidence. Several buildings have rising staircases, and arch shaped windows under the stairs. The arch shaped windows used to be arched entryways for people to push their boats into and moor, and the stairs would then be used to climb up to the buildings they were visiting.

When the main drainage works were being carried out, many of the culverts were opened up, and the water underneath could still be seen. Cork was like Venice - a small, smelly version though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I would be kinda cool if there were atleast sme parts still like a ssmall smelly version of venice.

The Floating Irish city.

When did the drainage and stuff take place and why?

• Advertisement
Advertisement