Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Insect!

• 30-11-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Last week when I opened the back door there was this weird looking insect in the groove of the door. It was huge :eek: It was black and about 2 inches long with a few legs that were just around its head area. I got such a fright I just got the sweeping brush and brushed it out. I then realised that I probably should have tried to get it into a jar or something as I have never seen anything like it before. Looked around for it but couldnt see where it went. Just hope its not in the house! Sorry I didnt get a pic of it but would anyone have any idea what it was? I live in the country if that makes any difference!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Was it one of these?

Devil's Coach Horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Ya that looks very like it alright, thanks!

Are they common here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

I see them pretty regularly some years.
    First time I saw one was about 20 years ago drowned
    in the cat's milk, and it freaked me out a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If you think the adult is wierd looking, try googling a pic of the larvae, its the stuff of nightmares. I remember when I was about 5 my Dad dug one up in the back garden and I was afraid to go down there for ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 123oclock

i used to see them all the time when i worked at the golf course in oldhead
    they are weird looking if u got a piece of twig and went near it, it would raise its tail end kind of like a scorpion...i used love working at old head.. it was full of interesting wildlife in my time there i saw lots of lizards rare sea birds,basking sharks but the best i ever saw was a pod of orca whales the same week when they went up the river Lee i presumed they were the same whales because of the timing but that moment i can say without doubt was my favorite encounter i have had with nature. i am waffling now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Cant believe I've never come across one before and I would do alot of gardening! Would they be likely to come into the house? The thoughts of one (or more!) of these in the house gives me the chills :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mfays

Dont worry to much-the chances of seeing one again are really slim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Devils Coach Horse is common, but not really around the garden. I'd see them most days up in the forests and on / crossing forest tracks, though mostly in warmer weather.

Advertisement