Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first I5 €1000 ish Build

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CompuFreak

Looks like overkill. Do you need 2 memorycard readers?

You could downgrade PSU if you don't plan on gaming. And the case too, but that's down to preference.
    Are you overclocking? Wouldn't be mad about that CPU cooler whether you are or not!!

Oh, and order from HWVS to save some €€€s

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

CompuFreak wrote: »

You could downgrade PSU if you don't plan on gaming. And the case too, but that's down to preference.
    Are you overclocking? Wouldn't be mad about that CPU cooler whether you are or not!!

Hey Compufreak. Yeah I thought it might be a little overkill alright. The card reader was a mistake I was only ment to have one of them. I like the case but maybe you could suggest a better PSU and CPU cooler for me ? I wont be gaming or overclocking but Id like to have something decent that I can upgrade down the road.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

TBH, this seems like a lot of overkill / wasted money if you're not going to be doing anything serious with this. What exactly do you mean by multitasking? Just basic internet browsing / streaming media / etc?

You spend €145 on RAM (I can't see the justification for this at all. Wouldn't spend over €100 on RAM in this build. Money can be put to far better areas, like the GPU or a holiday) and only €25 on a GPU?

The PSU is also overkill if you are serious about not needing a good GPU, so you could save a bit there too.

You should also have a look at just "upgrading" and old Windows installation you have instead of having to pay full retail price.

You could easily save yourself a few hundred euro going with a marginally lower spec system and not notice any difference whatsoever.

AMD build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CompuFreak

Read the €500 i5 build. That's bare minimum. Don't be fooled by paying twice a much that you are getting even 10% noticeable difference!!! (if you're not OCing).
    All you have is a larger HDD, higher spec mobo and RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Read the €500 i5 build. That's bare minimum. Don't be fooled by paying twice a much that you are getting even 10% noticeable difference!!! (if you're not OCing).
    All you have is a larger HDD, higher spec mobo and RAM.

Completely agree, if your not going to put the hardware to the test dont bother buying it. If your not gaming or ocing, the cheapest nastiest ram and mobo will do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Completely agree with what everyone else has said.

If your only browsing, music, media storage, you only need the bare minimum tbh (aside from a nice amount of storage - as you know yourself). Depending on exactly what your doing, you should prob cut the budget right down and go the AMD route (its the budget king).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Cheers lads ill have a read of that thread and scale my own build down a little.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Good advice all right.

Why not just go with an amd build if its just a basic all rounder.

Advertisement