Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire Cork city

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to hire a car for just under 2 days. Will be arriving into Kent station on a Thursday 5pm, and dropping car back on a Sunday 4pm.
    Everything I have seen in based out in the suburbs or at the airport.
    The extra time and cost of getting out to them makes them less appealing.
    Anyone got any recommendations? Thanks in advance. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're registered for the service, Gocar have a car or two parked literally outside Kent Station, otherwise all the hire car depots are near the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Thanks - I had never heard of them. Looked them up and the car cost was EUR180, plus EUR50 to join. Hertz was available for EUR62 from the airport for the same period. Unlimited mileage.
    It's just the time and additional cost to get to the airport that's the killer.

I might be better just driving all the way from Dublin. Not great for the environment, or me.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

But quicker than the train and gives you more flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

there's a car hire place in mc curtain street , that only 5 minutes walk from the railway station , here's a link to their site ,

http://www.greatislandcarrentals.com/

they are based in Cobh but have an office in mc curtain street , I have rented vans and cars of them over the years and you can bargain with them sometimes , even cheaper if you have your own insurance and transfer it for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

fitzdragon wrote: »
    there's a car hire place in mc curtain street , that only 5 minutes walk from the railway station , here's a link to their site ,

http://www.greatislandcarrentals.com/

they are based in Cobh but have an office in mc curtain street , I have rented vans and cars of them over the years and you can bargain with them sometimes , even cheaper if you have your own insurance and transfer it for the day

+1 have used them before and can reccomend them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Thanks all. Might email them. The online quote was EUR145, but the location is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Opel Corsa
    Manual
    Economy (ECMN)
    2 Doors Car Photo
    Zoom
    47.16 EUR Inclusive
    discounted rate of the day!
    original rate: 54.21 EUR

From cork airport though.

via www.autoeurope.ie

Added on 20 Euros for a taxi each way to the Airport and your only paying 90 euros in total.

I use them all the time and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fea

Hi
    I need to hire a car for a few days and note the post on Auto Europe

I have never hired a car before so I am wondering how does it work regarding payment for fuel.

Can anyone let me know how it works?
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lyes

Hi,

I'm a new learner permit in Ireland and I would like to rent a car to make some tours with my family before buying a car but I don't know how it works.
    Does my learner permit would be enough to rent a car?
    Do I need a insurance to drive?
    How much is for the average renting in Ireland?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lyes wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a new learner permit in Ireland and I would like to rent a car to make some tours with my family before buying a car but I don't know how it works.
    Does my learner permit would be enough to rent a car?
    Do I need a insurance to drive?
    How much is for the average renting in Ireland?

thanks

Old thread resurrection.

You can't hire a car on a learner permit. To legally drive you need someone who's had a full licence for 2 years in the car with you.

• Advertisement

I do have a full license in another country would this make a difference? Thank you for your quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lyes wrote: »
    I do have a full license in another country would this make a difference? Thank you for your quick response.

Not sure, it depends on your status in Ireland whether your foreign licence is still valid or not.

The best way to find out is to call a couple of hire companies.

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html

Thanks you very much for your help and quick response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not sure, it depends on your status in Ireland whether your foreign licence is still valid or not.

Doubt if it is or else they wouldn't need an Irish learner's license. I can only assume they have this because the OP's native license is not valid here?

Advertisement