Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT-5 cable lacerated need help !

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

SKEPTICAL

Hey my new pup has just bitten through the Ethernet cable connecting my PS3 with my router,
    Can it be fixed ?
    and if so can you tell me how.
    thanks, George

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just buy a new one. They only cost a few euro.

Straight through ethernet cable is what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Not the answer i was looking for but thanks anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

yes it can be fixed but if you are askin then i doubt if u have the tools(crimping tool, rj-45 plug) r knowledge to do it..
    if any of the copper wires are damaged you will to cut the cable and recrimp it,, as said a straight-through cable is needed so the wiring order is important
    google it and im sure u will find out how
    then the crimping is not too easy unless your used to it
    cable tester needed then to check cable

may not be the answer but was good advise by prev poster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

twist like colour around like colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

SKEPTICAL

Hey my new pup has just bitten through the Ethernet cable connecting my PS3 with my router,
    Can it be fixed ?
    and if so can you tell me how.
    thanks, George

Fixing this would take more time and effort than buying a new one. Also if you are asking the question it means you don't have the necessary tools.

You could do a botch job which might appear to work but cause transmission degradation. Match like colour with colour, isolate and twist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Not the answer i was looking for but thanks anyway,

Its not economically repairable, buy a new one, i don't know what answer you were looking for.

"No" would have been much less helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Thanks for all your replys, some more helpful than others, and yes im not that great with tech stuff (PS. i have a degree in computer science)
    I was simply looking for a simple repair job,
    thanks George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

All the answers were helpful, George. You can pick which advice you wish to follow but don't knock people who try to help you. Nobody here has to help you, you know! Maybe you should try to use your degree to work out problems for yourself.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

yes im not that great with tech stuff (PS. i have a degree in computer science)

:confused::confused:

How in gods name do you have a CS degree and not be good at "tech stuff"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

bk wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

How in gods name do you have a CS degree and not be good at "tech stuff"?

Because most CS graduates are not very technical. They can program in multiple languages, but ask them to fix a printer problem and they're screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Most likely a Uni grad, no IT would have given them a degree with that level of ineptitude

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was simply looking for a simple repair job
    It doesn't exist. :)

A proper repair would require you to;
    1. Remove the plugs from each of the cable (which is irreversible)
    2. Remove the sheath from the entire length of cable
    3. Untwist the pairs from eachother
    4. Find all damaged pairs and untwist them.
    5. Replace the damaged pairs or the individual damaged wires in each pair
    6. Twist the pairs back together
    7. Slide it all back into the sheath
    8. Replace the plugs on either end of the cable with new plugs.

If you can do that, first time, and have the wire work, in less than 2 hours, you deserve a medal. Or for a few euro you could go to the nearest remotely computer-related shop and buy a new cable for a tenner.

Most likely a Uni grad, no IT would have given them a degree with that level of ineptitude

Uninformed or trolling? i think trolling.
    That kind of knowledge just isnt pertinent to the type of work computer science grads do, belive it or not. This cant be called ineptitude no matter what way you look at it.

Advertisement