Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5415359/ubisoft-turns-back-time-with-prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands

It has been a long time since the Sands of Time, and none of the following games have truly lived up to that wonderful entry (new PoP was OK, but repetitive). But, hark! Ubisoft have announced a fourth entry in the SoT series: The Forgotton Sands! Initial reactions:

Positive: has the word 'sands' in title, return to the more established PoP world.
    Negative: will tie in with film perhaps, aimed at 'core and casual gamers'. Oh dear.

I have been disappointed with this series before, so won't be getting my hopes up. But if they combine the engine of new PoP and the atmosphere and challenge of SoT, there is the possibility for a good game here. Perhaps. Maybe. Hopefully?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Delighted that they're returning to the SoT storyline but quite suspicious about this "reaching all audiences" bit. The original 3 games had what I would consider a near perfect level of difficulty plus I'm not a fan of the dumbed down QTE heavy combat found in the new PoP title. We shall see how it goes anyway.

That being said, as long as it's not "Prince of Persia: The Movie: The Game" it shouldn't be too bad. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought the new PoP game was much better then the two previous installments. Sands of Time was great, but the other two were not. Warrior Within was emo bull****, and Two Thrones redeemed it a bit, but i much prefered the new one. I seriously doubt this will be much of a step forward, certainly not if they plan on using anything from the awful looking film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I really liked the last game, especially the visual style. Granted it was a bit repetitive. I'm always eager to see a new POP come my way. Roll on 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Didn't really like the new one due to the incredibly relaxed control (in areas, merely pressing jump alone was enough to make the Prince run along the ceiling, swing, slide... etc)

That being said, the artstyle and banter between the characters was enough to make it a decent game, it was just a pity the platforming and combat was so dumbed down.

Anyway, more PoP is never a bad thing. Hopefully they'll be looking at Uncharted 2 for a guide in how to effectively mix platforming and combat with excellent detailing and impressive set pieces.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Didn't really like the new one due to the incredibly relaxed control (in areas, merely pressing jump alone was enough to make the Prince run along the ceiling, swing, slide... etc)

That being said, the artstyle and banter between the characters was enough to make it a decent game, it was just a pity the platforming and combat was so dumbed down.

Anyway, more PoP is never a bad thing. Hopefully they'll be looking at Uncharted 2 for a guide in how to effectively mix platforming and combat with excellent detailing and impressive set pieces.

Yeah the latest game definitely wasn't bad, and there were some interesting decisions (and I still want to know where they're going to go with it after that ending). And the movement was very smooth. But the constantly recycled bosses (with literal battle borders), combat and lack of challenge took away from the experience. I think what appeals so much about SoT is the sense of achievement when you complete the huge puzzles or platforming sections (even if the combat was still a little ****). Hope they are able to recapture that, without going all emo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"The goal is to reach both audiences, the core and casual gamers. It will be a game that will have lots of combat, with the possibility for gamers that are not as good - a level for beginners. In that sense we are trying to cover both groups."

Well that's my interest turned off right there; I don't play Prince of Persia for "lots of combat", I played it for the jumping / acrobatics / puzzling element. Oh and that doesn't mean Quick Time Events mr. developer sir (even though you can bet your bum that's what the noncombat stuff will be). But sure the average gamers now are basically bloodthirsty douchebags with no attention span, so I guess they're driving the market now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Loved the last one, all it needed was a few tweaks and it would've been a cracking game. I'll be pissed if the new one does seriously delay last years game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I found the last one bland, challengeless and at odds with what Prince of Persia was always about. I won't be expecting anything impressive from this except a nice new graphical filter tint on the QTE messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    Sands of Time was great, but the other two were not. Warrior Within was emo bull****, and Two Thrones redeemed it a bit, but i much prefered the new one. I seriously doubt this will be much of a step forward, certainly not if they plan on using anything from the awful looking film.
    I always see that criticism leveled against WW but honestly, if the events of the first game had happened to you and you had a big black monster chasing you about the place, surely you'd be a bit pissed off too? ;)

Actually quite liked WW, almost go as far saying better than SOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

:(

I was actually curious where they were gonna take the plot with the new world...the DLC hinted at such greatness and the all powerful villian was pretty awesome.

(yes I liked new POP and I like sands of time, never played WW or TT)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Actually quite liked WW, almost go as far saying better than SOT.

Same here... they tried something new in the styling and I actually liked the darker feel (I'm happy that they tried it though, it matched the feel of the story which was mainly about anger and blind vengeance), increased gore, and harder soundtrack. Combat system and camera was vastly improved over SoT. tTT was my favourite though, they dumped the darker styling, kept the combat system and generally polished all aspects of it.

In the latest one I think they got the styling just perfect, as well as the general atmosphere of the world. Previous to the release, the devs said the game would "appeal to both the experienced and new gamers, with different paths available of varying difficulty". This proved to be a pure fabrication, as the game couldn't of been more linear, with really only 1 possible path through the whole game.

Combat in WW trumped SOT big time.

The latest thing, the one it really missed and it would've made it an awesome game was the previous POP's "where the f do i go now moments", or "How do i get up there". Farrah guiding light was a bit of cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

this is due for release in may according to mymemory website. Similar feelings
    as others about the last one and loved the first three on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

no call for the evil sludge like Alone in the Dark either. Sands of Time was a charming game with more enjoyable and challenging environments and to try make the series darker didn't work out. also i hated having to return to a hub to gain access to the other areas, keep it a roaming adventure with romantic vibes, arabian nights not some emo dreamscape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

i must be that one person, but i loved the combat in sot much more infact than any of the others, it was simplistic, but it required skill and timing. Plus the fact that there would be a save point straight after meant that u knew that there was a reward coming up.

The qtes in the others f'd it up for me. Especially the push the button really fast for 5 mins sections

i doubt we're that two people. i reckon theres more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I'm actually tempted to give SoT a quick run through on the Cube now...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Trailer looks great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That looks very like the old trilogy. I'm very excited now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I would be really looking forward to this only for the fact that it will probably have that pain in the arse DRM that ubisoft are now using :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Loved the original trilogy, some of my favourite games on the PS2! Only problem is that i mostly can't remember the story behind them...

the forgotten thread :( a game first n foremost in its own right.. but will it suffer the fate of ur typical movie tie-in? next week will reveal all

Star Bingo wrote: »
    the forgotten thread :( a game first n foremost in its own right.. but will it suffer the fate of ur typical movie tie-in? next week will reveal all

It's not a movie tie in, it's a proper sequel/prequel set sometime between Sands of Time and Two Thrones.

Looks like it could be a return to form for the game (assuming they can avoid the springy platforms and other such contrivances).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's not a movie tie in, it's a proper sequel/prequel set sometime between Sands of Time and Two Thrones.

its midquel then. And one that has been spurred by both the upcoming movie and less then steller reception of the reboot possible?

Which is a shame because irregardless of its gameplay flaws, I actually liked the visuals and setting of the new series (as said in my dusty old post earlier) so I'm saddened that they abandoned it in favour of more comfortable territory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wish I was more excited about this, but it falls smack bang in the middle of yet another heavy release month (Alan Wake, Blur, Red Dead Redemption and Mario Galaxy 2 all in a few short weeks). I kinda forgot about it til I saw the prebooking cases Gamestop t'other day. I know it's been six months since the announcement, but compared to most games these days the release seems relatively rushed, and the generally hype loving gaming media seems relatively quiet on it too. I'm hoping it won't be a rush job, as the SoT core mechanics are still pretty impressive, so there's potential. We shall see when the reviews etc... start flooding in.

Although with Blitzkrieg in holding out some sort of vague hope they'll return to the reboot universe at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They reviewed it on Playr this morning (good to see real actual gameplay, not choreographed snippets for trailers), and it looked good. Expect to die alot (and having to use the sands to rewind). The powerups look very clever (particularly the freeze power), and there is a skills tree to power up your power ups -- I didn't know this was in there.

On the negatives, the camera can be pretty bad at times, and the controls can be finicky.

The bottom line was if you liked the SOT trilogy, this is more of the same. The score it got was
    8/10

Hopefully the review embargo lifts tonight (the game is out in the States on Tuesday) and we can see what the general consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

By the way, if you have Sky, you can watch Playr on Film24 (about 6 pages down the main channel list). Its on Sunday morning around noon, and repeated Monday night at 6:30 (so set the Sky+). Good reviews for Split Second and 3D Dot Game Heroes too.

I wish I was more excited about this, but it falls smack bang in the middle of yet another heavy release month (Alan Wake, Blur, Red Dead Redemption and Mario Galaxy 2 all in a few short weeks). I kinda forgot about it til I saw the prebooking cases Gamestop t'other day. I know it's been six months since the announcement, but compared to most games these days the release seems relatively rushed, and the generally hype loving gaming media seems relatively quiet on it too. I'm hoping it won't be a rush job, as the SoT core mechanics are still pretty impressive, so there's potential. We shall see when the reviews etc... start flooding in.

Although with Blitzkrieg in holding out some sort of vague hope they'll return to the reboot universe at some point.

If it's anything like with the film industry the quality of the film is indirectly
    proportional to the level of advertising it receives, let's hope it holds true for this game :D

Also, for some reason I seem to recall reading that games would progress in both universes and that there would be a sequel to the 2008 PoP though I cannot find a source anywhere to back this up. It would be good to see another game in the same style but hopefully without the stupid inability to die mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Mr E wrote: »
    The bottom line was if you liked the SOT trilogy, this is more of the same. The score it got was
    8/10

Well, now I'm interested in this game. It's quite a clever sort of tie-in for the movie, hopefully other reviews are as good!

Advertisement