Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing a PhD...

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Ok so many moons ago I did a PhD, viva etc etc

never finished the corrections I was supposed to do so (Illness etc)didn't get final piece of paper

Is it worth going back / is it possible? to complete at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I reckon you'll have to go back to your supervisor/university and ask them. I imagine it depends on how long it's been. Most universities give a maximum of 6 years that you can spend working on the thesis full time, but taht's before it gets to viva stage. I hope you can sort it out though, as it seems a shame to come so far and not get awarded the PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Sounds you should pick up that phone, Quartet. Recently I saw a guy defend, 15 years after starting his PhD. The material wasn't fresh in his mind so the defense got pretty awkward, but he got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Some universities demand that you pay the fees from the intervening years. I saw this happen to a girl. She started a research Masters, two years later fell ill, three years later went back and asked could she submit a written thesis. The University insisted that she pay the fees of the intervening years despite the fact that she had medical records to prove she was ill. She also hadn't been anywhere near the University or used any facilities.

Unfortunately, she never submitted because she couldn't afford the fees. :mad:

All you can do is go to your supervisor and get him/her on board to help you fight your case. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Definitely go back and check. Once you submit you are no longer liable for fees as you are essentially finished (at least in UCD). The only cost to the college would be a tiny amount of paperwork.

The fact that you had your viva means it was all effectively done and dusted on the condition that you submit your corrections. I doubt there is anything in the college regulations regarding post-viva issues and the time required, as it is essentially just a formality. Worth checking them out beforehand.

Advertisement