Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Limerick Blogger.......pointless gossip or valued local resource?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

As the subject states, I'm curious as to what people think about The Limerick Blogger. I was talking to friends recently and the group was divided.

Some stated that The Limerick Blogger was an excuse for some lonely person to express there opinions because they had no life outside to internet and henced desperately seeked to feel some what needed.

Others stated it was a good asset to Limerick as it enhances the community feeling of the city.

And while on the topic, do people think these kind of websites are dangerous and encourage inaccurate gossip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Um, you should probably know that the Limerick Blogger is also a moderator on this forum. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is no more a dangerous site than Boards.ie is.

I can see how people would be split on it, but it is a site that does no harm, and is just a person or people who are expressing opinion.

I know I have a peep at that site and at Bock the robber every now and then.

The Saint wrote: »
    Um, you should probably know that the Limerick Blogger is also a moderator on this forum. :p

Really? I take back my comments on the site then. :D

My new comment is that it is a facist site run by a potential seal clubber.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

i always thought it would benefit from splitting the chat off to its own forum. threads are derailed frequently there by the thicker members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 obriengerry

Personally I think that site is one of the most pointless pathetic websites around. For a website that is apparently run by some man/woman from limerick it is disgrace that it never praises limerick for good. Currently it discusses a car jacking, paedophile priests etc. There is not mention of winterfest, which was an attempt by limerick to boost its residents in this glum economic period.

Limerick Blogger, more like Limerick Knocker.

The writer of this site should show some loyalty to his/her county and shut this excuse for a website down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

What's that got to do with anything?

are you insinuating that Limerick blogger might act in a biased manner on this site which has no affiliation to their own site because there is someone discussing the site in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

foinse wrote: »
    What's that got to do with anything?

are you insinuating that Limerick blogger might act in a biased manner on this site which has no affiliation to their own site because there is someone discussing the site in question?

I'm not insinuating anything. I just thought it might be an interesting factoid that the OP might like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Kess73 wrote: »
    Really? I take back my comments on the site then. :D

My new comment is that it is a facist site run by a potential seal clubber.:p

More like seal bait............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

I used to log onto Limerick Blogger for local news and views but seldom do now.

The site seems to comprise of about 10 regular psoters who chat aimlessly to each other.

For example if you click on a thread about one subject you'll find a few people chatting to each other like kids.

I presume they are kids, the type who watch Big Brother and all that, so I leave them to themselves.

It's a pity though, it used to be a good site.

I prefer this site and Bocktherobber. But then I'ma serious kind of person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

am no longer involved with the site. I gave up ownership of the site in March / April 2008 and ended my involvement this year when it became aparant that i did not have the time to both write articles and babysit a message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

am no longer involved with the site. I gave up ownership of the site in March / April 2008 and ended my involvement this year when it became aparant that i did not have the time to both write articles and babysit a message board.

Maybe if you relaxed your grip ever so slightly Billy....... And if you've ever wondered, yes it is apparent when we are being as you say 'Babysat', ie. tolerated on your Board.

- The Limerick Blogger has no soul; I could honestly cut, paste and edit that stuff myself if I wanted to sit and skim through rehashed news stories - I have never once received a mail with a link to it and I believe this to be because its too reserved, timid mainstream, clinical and low on actual independent substance.

I would pay a monthly subscription to have Alive in Limerick back - loved it, used to practically sit there hitting F5 for updates.

Anyone know who it was? They used to cover all the same stories as the Leader Post et al - But in vivid and complete detail.

For example, Leader story would say:

A Man was questioned today in relation to a discovery of ammunition in St. Mary's Park. He is being held in Mayorstone Garda Station.

Alive in Limerick
    would run the exact story complete with names, addresses, proper details and then would list the individual in questions last 6 run ins with the law, court appearances and other great involved and thorough information - Illustrative and legendary stuff - A real loss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

lads, can i get some honest opinons on this point of view in the bocktherobber blog please

http://bocktherobber.com/2009/11/christian-brother-convicted-of-sexually-abusing-schoolboy

Certainly bucks the trend, but I think he is spot on in what he says. Even tho some would vehemently disagree.

Thanks

Liam79 wrote: »
    lads, can i get some honest opinons on this point of view in the bocktherobber blog please

http://bocktherobber.com/2009/11/christian-brother-convicted-of-sexually-abusing-schoolboy

Certainly bucks the trend, but I think he is spot on in what he says. Even tho some would vehemently disagree.

Thanks

It certainly is a good read, and some of the comments to it are even better.

its easy to lump all these men before the courts together as evil sickos etc, but this particular case is not your run of the mill case, and you can see where bock is coming from, Especially the point about people claiming to have become drug addicts alcoholics etc....

Well it is an interesting take on things, and some may be playing up the drink/drugs card for extra compo, but I would imagine that there are genuine cases who ended up on drugs etc after their ordeals who would not have done so if they had not been abused.

Just as some of the abusers are trying to make out that they are actually the victims and have turned to drink and drugs because of what they did.

What I do disagree with is the line of thinking that the abusers can be understood/excused in some way due to the fact that they were taught/told to do so to the children in their care.

That excuse carries no water for me as they knew what they were doing was wrong, and if they say that they did not know it was wrong, then they are boardering on being psychopathic in my eyes, although some may argue it as being sociopathic.

The case that Bock is discussing is that of a guy who has been before the Limerick courts with 36 cases of abuse against him. He is now only 61 years of age, how many unreported cases are there? And how many more recent ones are there?

Kess73 wrote: »
    The case that Bock is discussing is that of a guy who has been before the Limerick courts with 36 cases of abuse against him. He is now only 61 years of age, how many unreported cases are there? And how many more recent ones are there?

Dont think so
    the one Bock is on about, the man left the brothers at the age of 18 never returned, has never out a foot wrong since and raised a family of 5. Got a glowing reference from the independent counsellor who assesed him and is categorised as low risk to reoffend.

Raiser wrote: »
    Maybe if you relaxed your grip ever so slightly Billy....... And if you've ever wondered, yes it is apparent when we are being as you say 'Babysat', ie. tolerated on your Board.

- The Limerick Blogger has no soul; I could honestly cut, paste and edit that stuff myself if I wanted to sit and skim through rehashed news stories - I have never once received a mail with a link to it and I believe this to be because its too reserved, timid mainstream, clinical and low on actual independent substance.

I would pay a monthly subscription to have Alive in Limerick back - loved it, used to practically sit there hitting F5 for updates.

Anyone know who it was? They used to cover all the same stories as the Leader Post et al - But in vivid and complete detail.

For example, Leader story would say:

A Man was questioned today in relation to a discovery of ammunition in St. Mary's Park. He is being held in Mayorstone Garda Station.

Alive in Limerick
    would run the exact story complete with names, addresses, proper details and then would list the individual in questions last 6 run ins with the law, court appearances and other great involved and thorough information - Illustrative and legendary stuff - A real loss :(

Raiser.

The message board did require babysitting, even despite the moderators there was always one muppet with something defamatory to say that would be missed. having to watch out for that kind of stuff was taking up more time than it took up to write articles for the site.

Alive in Limerick had an interest in the whole feuding gangs saga. I have less of an interest in it. Just because a site is from Limerick does not mean that it has to be crime crime crime all the time.

To be quite frank about it, the messageboard being added to the site made the whole experience of being involved with the site less enjoyable to administrate due to the amount of due diligance it required. At least with a blog you can say, "oh well I did say that" but with a message board, something can come back and bite you on the ass from six months ago that you didn't even write.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

PaddyThai wrote: »
    I used to log onto Limerick Blogger for local news and views but seldom do now.

The site seems to comprise of about 10 regular psoters who chat aimlessly to each other.

For example if you click on a thread about one subject you'll find a few people chatting to each other like kids.

I presume they are kids, the type who watch Big Brother and all that, so I leave them to themselves.

It's a pity though, it used to be a good site.

I prefer this site and Bocktherobber. But then I'ma serious kind of person.

+1

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    Dont think so
    the one Bock is on about, the man left the brothers at the age of 18 never returned, has never out a foot wrong since and raised a family of 5. Got a glowing reference from the independent counsellor who assesed him and is categorised as low risk to reoffend.

Yes that is the same man who was before the Limerick courts. He is named in the article.

He pleaded guilty to the 36 charges of abuse.

The same man talked about his remorse for what he did, but he showed no signs of that remorse for thirty years until he was caught.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/former-brother-admits-36-indecent-assault-charges-1786176.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Raiser wrote: »

Agreed, Aliveinlimerick was a great read. I remember the person behind it announced that they were leaving Limerick so wouldn't be able to cover the stories in the same detail.

Billy, would it make any sense to remove the message board on the Limerickblogger? You could still allow comments on articles of course, but these could be subject to pre-approval by a moderator. (I know you said you're not involved with the site anymore.)

I think the quality of the limerickblogger has gone downhill in recent months. It seems to be mostly copied and pasted press releases that are readily available elsewhere in the local media anyway. The point of a blog should be to offer comment and reaction, in my opinion anyway.

The removal of the messageboard is a matter for the sites owners. as for me I have a degree course taking up my time so I hadn't been able to give the site as much attention as it needs. That is unlikely to change for a couple of years.

sorry hit edit instead of quote and for some reason cant fix it

The removal of the messageboard is a matter for the sites owners. as for me I have a degree course taking up my time so I hadn't been able to give the site as much attention as it needs. That is unlikely to change for a couple of years.

Advertisement