Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring around the moon

Options
  • 30-11-2009 10:45pm

hi,
    Im in Lucan, Co Dublin. I just looked out at the moon, and theres a massive ring around it. is it true that this is an indicator of snow, or just icy conditions?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

From the WWW:
    Halos, also known as icebows, are optical phenomena that appear near or around the Sun or Moon, and sometimes near other strong light sources such as street lights. There are many types of optical halos, but they are mostly caused by ice crystals in cold cirrus clouds located high (5–10 km, or 3–6 miles) in the upper troposphere.

The particular shape and orientation of the crystals is responsible for the type of halo observed. Light is reflected and refracted by the ice crystals and may split up into colors because of dispersion, similarly to the rainbow.

Sometimes in very cold weather optical halos are formed by crystals close to ground level, called diamond dust. The crystals behave like jewels, refracting and reflecting sunlight between their faces, sending shafts of light in particular directions.

Atmospheric phenomena such as halos were used as an empirical means of weather forecasting before meteorology was developed.

From the WWW:

Thanks for that reply. Its a beautiful sight, everything is white and crispy here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

Yea was a pretty sight tonight. Tryed to take a photo with the phone but the radius was too wide..

krobo wrote: »
    Yea was a pretty sight tonight. Tryed to take a photo with the phone but the radius was too wide..

yeah, thats what struck me about it, I never saw one as wide before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I have seen this ring when there was no frost/ice at all sometimes, I think i hear that it is a sign of stormy weather.
    I seen it last night ,and I live in the countryside. It was big alrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Jake1 wrote: »
    hi,
    Im in Lucan, Co Dublin. I just looked out at the moon, and theres a massive ring around it. is it true that this is an indicator of snow, or just icy conditions?
    Thanks in advance.
    AFAIK, a lunar halo is a strong sign of cirrostratus, which is usually associated with an approaching front of some kind.

Another colourful and interesting phenomenon associated with these atmospheric conditions is that of 'light pillars' - surface light that reflects through the atmosphere.

Another colourful and interesting phenomenon associated with these atmospheric conditions is that of 'light pillars' - surface light that reflects through the atmosphere.

Hi, havent heard of them before. Light Pillars. Ill look it up.
    Thanks a million. Ive become obsessed with the sky and weather lately.:o

wow, I just googled them, stunning. Ive never seen them in Ireland. Would they be a rare phenomenon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Light pillars tend to happen in very cold weather for example in eastern Canada, so I have seen them a few times, when the air is full of ice crystals and temperatures are around -20 C or lower. So you would not be too likely to see them in Ireland, I would guess.

• Advertisement

Light pillars tend to happen in very cold weather for example in eastern Canada, so I have seen them a few times, when the air is full of ice crystals and temperatures are around -20 C or lower. So you would not be too likely to see them in Ireland, I would guess.

I imagine it must be a thrill to see these in person. You are lucky.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Ive become obsessed with the sky and weather lately.:o

You couldn't be obsessed with anything more elusive and magnificent. :)

You couldn't be obsessed with anything more elusive and magnificent. :)

I hear that! Ive started looking upwards more and more. its amazing what you see.It really is. its like a free art show every day, if only we'd look up more.

its like a free art show every day, if only we'd look up more.

Couldn't have put it any better myself! There is just too much happening up there to ignore. :cool:

Couldn't have put it any better myself! There is just too much happening up there to ignore. :cool:

i couldnt agree more. Seriously!! LOl. I was looking out the window yesterday, checking the sky, and I saw very weird aircraft formation. Three jets going one way in tandem, and going directly across their flight path was two more jets. Dont know why, but it looked very strange.:eek:.
    I live near Weston, but they certainly were not from there.

But back to the weather,( beofre I get scolded) it really is fantastic. I wish I had paid more attention to it in school. My family think Im totally nuts everytime we go out Im skywatching, looking at cloud formations and whatever else is going on up there.

My family think Im totally nuts everytime we go out Im skywatching, looking at cloud formations and whatever else is going on up there.

You're in good company here Jake on the weather forum. If you need to find out about anything "up there", don't be afraid to ask; someone, somewhere, will have the answer. :). I am still learning a lot myself, which what makes these boards so great. :)

You're in good company here Jake on the weather forum. If you need to find out about anything "up there", don't be afraid to ask; someone, somewhere, will have the answer. :). I am still learning a lot myself, which what makes these boards so great. :)

Thanks a million ! You guys had me hooked last year on the snow First time I came across the boards, if I recall right. I was surfing for snow forecasts and came across the weather site here.I was hooked, it was funny exciting, and also taught me a lil bit too. Also, proved no matter how old we get, we turn to children at the thoughts of snow. Long may it last in us all too.
    I tell you something else too, I would rely on any of you guys here before met Eireann Im sorry to say. As, a matter of fact, I said to my partner during the week, its an awful shame the gov dont use the weather forum here for forecasts, the country might not be in such a mes if they had. Some form of protection, be it sand bags or whatever could have been put into place before the disaster.

if anyone is interested the ring is around the moon again tonight.
    Its definately worth taking a gander out at it. Looks like a whole different world in the sky. Its beautiful up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Its definately worth taking a gander out at it. Looks like a whole different world in the sky. Its beautiful up there.

Ye it's actually amazing looking, if i could I'd stay outside looking at it all night!

Attemped to a picture of it but It needed a tripod to get a clear one, I'll try again 2moro if it appears again :D

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Ye it's actually amazing looking, if i could I'd stay outside looking at it all night!

Attemped to a picture of it but It needed a tripod to get a clear one, I'll try again 2moro if it appears again :D

Me too. Ill be damned if I can find my digi cam, I think my daughter took it. Im raging. I think I would have got a great shot. Hopefully it will be same tomorrow, Ill be ready. :)
    I too could stay up all night looking at it all. Between the weather and Stellarium, Im having a great night.

• Advertisement

Jake1 - atmospheric conditions last night (here in Michigan) provided a dazzling icebow. Orion and Sirius (below and to the left of the Moon) were well above the horizon and 'following' the Moon.

For additional info on atmospheric phenomena and interesting photos:
    http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/pilpic0.htm

Cheers, All!
    090219-01-night-light-pillars_big.jpg

Advertisement