Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walnut Kitchens

Options
  • 30-11-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,
    New build in progress and really need to get moving on kitchen design. Its a pretty large kitchen with lots of windowa including several velux in a vaulted ceiling. Really like the look of walnut units - will be a bank of units with integrated oven/steam oven etc as well as an L Shape and an island with breakfast bar. Considering a cream stone worktop...
    Have some concerns regarding the potential fading of the walnut and the maintenance that it will require. I know there are various options for engineered wood but am concernes re the quality.
    Id love to hear from someone who has a walnut kitchen or someone who can tell me the pros and cons of solid vs veneer vs high gloss.
    Also any information on approx price for a this type of kitchen.
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

enaughtp wrote: »
    Hi all,
    New build in progress and really need to get moving on kitchen design. Its a pretty large kitchen with lots of windowa including several velux in a vaulted ceiling. Really like the look of walnut units - will be a bank of units with integrated oven/steam oven etc as well as an L Shape and an island with breakfast bar. Considering a cream stone worktop...
    Have some concerns regarding the potential fading of the walnut and the maintenance that it will require. I know there are various options for engineered wood but am concernes re the quality.
    Id love to hear from someone who has a walnut kitchen or someone who can tell me the pros and cons of solid vs veneer vs high gloss.
    Also any information on approx price for a this type of kitchen.
    Many Thanks
    Regarding price , Walnut will be amongst the most expensive timbers you can buy. I'm just after hand painiting a kitchen for a customer , the doors were berch , rears were MDF etc and the timber fitted cost him 26k including kitchen , utility and pantry. Ad to that 7k of granite work top and 2.5k for me to paint it.
    A month back i completed a kitchen for another customer and it was costing the 42k before granite or painting
    So it really does depend on the size , style and timber.
    I'd imagine Walnut would be a lot more expensive
    Mantenance wise , any modern lacquered kitchen will last as good as the next as long as the correct lacquers are used [sikkens , sayerlack etc]
    You should have nothing to fear on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 enaughtp

Thanks Murdec, Have some decisions to make so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mick Bloggs

All natural wood will age in time, walnut is not the worst by any means. As the previous poster mentioned solid wood or veneer is fine if finished to a high standard but best of all for long life & low maintenance is LAMINATE gloss or not, worst are pvc products which are the most common on the market these days - it won’t last a wet week.

As far as price go’s, solid walnut is not an expensive wood, Cherry would trade more expensive on the open market it is more a case of how mush suppliers are going to chance their arm with you. Remember most kitchen products are imported now, you’re lightly to see the same designs & colours in more than one showroom, so don’t be shy about haggling on the price - you are only paying someone to sell it to you not to manufacture it. Look for a home produced product for the best value.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 T Dog

I have fitted a few solid walnut kitchens and they are a beautiful timber choice especially in a bright room which by the sounds of it you have. The solid walnut doors are in my opinion far superior to the foil wrapped or veneer options as the colour of the solid walnut cannot be matched by veneer. In relation to the stone tops, granite & quartz prices have reduced greatly this year so you should be to get a competitive price. There would be no maintenance with the solid walnut doors or granite worktop. If you need anymore info on walnut kitchens or kitchens in general you can pm me. Hope this helps.

Advertisement