Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with UPC broadband - Cisco EPC2425

• 30-11-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a laptop and desktpop trying to connect wirelessly. Laptop works fine.

On desktop, I see the connection and can enter the password, but then it tries to connect and just times out.

Any ideas ? The desktop worked fine with my old router, but UPC 'upgraded' to the EPC2425.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

What operating system do you have on the desktop?

I'm guessing that you're using a wireless adapter, what kind?

Are you using the adapter software, or your operating software to search for the wireless network?

Can you see other wireless networks?

Have you changed the Wifi channel on the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    What operating system do you have on the desktop?
    Windows XP
    I'm guessing that you're using a wireless adapter, what kind?
    Mentor 802.11g USB adapter.
    Are you using the adapter software, or your operating software to search for the wireless network?
    Using windows network connection
    Can you see other wireless networks?
    Yup. Can see the UPC one and 3 or 4 others.
    Have you changed the Wifi channel on the router?
    Yes. Do I need to change something on the PC as well then ?

As an aside, I can't access the router from the laptop (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 not working) although it's connecting to the internet fine.

Thanks !

If you reboot your modem, you should then be able to log onto the modem settings page through your laptop.

Often when you make changes on the modem with one computer, the modem won't allow other devices to log on until a reboot of the modem.

Do you know what service package you are running on the XP PC?
    If you are running on service pack 1 or 2, it could be having compatibility issues with the WPA security on the modem.

I'd suggest making sure that you're running on service pack 3.
    You could also change the security on the modem to WEP, but to be honest, I wouldn't do that, as it's no way near as secure.

Disabled security and p.c. still couldnt connect.
    Tried installing SP3. When it got near the end (think it said Finalising / Tidying up), windows gave me the blue screen saying fatal disk error, shutting down to protect. Tried again and same result.
    However, it now says SP3, so maybe it's installed OK. Still couldn't connect to network, so will try ethernet cable and see what happens.

OK, after installing SP3 got error with sis163u.sys which is the wireless adapter driver. Got a new USB adapter, installed that and everything connects fine now.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

No worries man,

Advertisement