Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Flooring

Options
  • 30-11-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Folks
    I am planning to put down some laminate on a floor that is currently carpeted.

Is it advisable to take up the carpet or can it be used as an underlay - the underlay supplied is pretty poor!!

The major reason for thinking of leaving it there is the finish on other floors that I had tiled in this house was rough enough -and the problem will have to be sorted by heavier underlay if I take the carpet up

Any advice appreciated

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Tricky one . The problem is that the carpet may shift and move after you have layed the Laminate onto it . If the underlay is fairly flat out and secure to the floor then you might get away with it .What you dont want is for the Laminate to buckle under a loose moving carpet / underlay .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Magneto

Thanks Latchy

I'd be happy enough about getting it secure and all that - I was just wondering about smells or damp coming up from the carpet at a later time - that kinda thing.

while the carpet is clean to the eye etc I'm not that certain about latent damp or something that might have spilled in the past resurrecting when it would be "sealed" in by the floor ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Because carpet is a fabric you run the risk of some damp and possible rot which after a while , may / may not affect the laminate finish .But it has being done and nothing to say it wont be a success .

Advertisement