Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything in its right PACE

• 30-11-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hello People, this is my log.
    It is, for me, a place to capture my Rotterdam marathon training progress and for people to read/criticise/advise/say hello and add general banter if you so wish.

Background: In 05 I was a bit of a pig, I’m 5 10’ but got up to 15 stone. I then had a short (8 month) stint of running and lost lots of fat. YoYo’d since and for the last year or so I’ve gotten into running a lot more serious and I’ve got to say it’s something I think I’ll always do on a regular basis. This time I mean it, I just love it.

Milestones over the last year:
    • Aware 10km (Dec 08) : 50mins
    • New Year’s Day (09) 5km in the phoenix park (I forget what this was called): 23’25 I think.
    • Wexford half marathon in (April 09): 1’40’??
    • Belfast marathon (May 09): 3’40’42
    • Joined a club in June.
    • Adidas 5 mile (July 09): 33’43
    • Frank Duffy 10 miles: 80’??
    • Pearl Izumi 10km: 39’10 (I’m still buzzing about that one)
    • Adidas half marathon (Sept 09): 1’29’01
    • DCM Oct 09: 3’25’16
    • Weight now: 11stone 4lbs

The rough plan for Rotterdam:
    I’m going to increase the amount of mileage this time around from a weekly average of 38 (peaking at 50) to a weekly average of 55-60. I bought the Jack Daniels book but I really couldn’t be arsed going through it right now....I’m just dead happy to go out and run to a rough weekly plan. I don’t want to spend too much time thinking about things right now. If you haven’t done so (and I suppose A/R/T newbies won’t have), go read Tergat’s posts. He has given some excellent advice as many many others have also. I'm using all of that instead of a set plan for now.

The weekly plan is something like this:

• Monday: Rest or if need be 20 – 60 mins (depending on week of program) recovery
    • Tuesday: Speed session in club. Covering 400s or 600s or 800s or 1000s. Yes its decided by the coach that week. This will be done up until about 8 or 9 weeks to go where I will concentrate on marathon pace (MP) miles as my 'keep the fitness' if you get me. I know people say 400’s (for example) are no use for marathon training. I know. It’s the structure of having these sessions every Tuesday with the club MAKES me run harder. I enjoy these and it’s good to have a gauge on how well you are doing relative to others in the group (I'm not competitive at all, honest). If I improve my 5/10km time along the way, bonus.
    • Wednesday: Recovery. Again, 20 – 60 mins (depending on week of program).
    • Thursday: 10 miler with club including about 4-5 miles tempo. Another one I don't want to tamper with.
    • Friday: 40 - 60 mins medium/easy effort.
    • Saturday: Roughly half LSR distance at medium effort.
    • Sunday: LSR. For the first few weeks I plan on doing the last 3 or 4 miles at MP but this is going to be decided on how I feel then and not on a plan I write up now. For the last 8 weeks I’m going to concentrate my ‘hard’ workouts doing MP miles. I don’t want to eat into my glycogen reserves too much by running speed/hard sessions.

Summary: That’s, a weekly long run, one longish run with tempo miles, a speed session and the rest are medium effort and recovery. As a ‘David Brent’ type manager of mine used to say, use the ‘KISS’ principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. Cheeseball.

The week just gone was the first week I’ve run with recovery runs....I mean real recovery runs (8’30 average pace). I’ve run 7 days in a row and felt strong all week. My legs felt better for it rather than resting, which again, I tried based on Tergats advice. On the way to DCM, all runs over the second half of the program were from 7’50 and much quicker. That’s going to change (easy/recovery runs might be at 7’50 pace come March if that is my recovery pace. Let’s just see). I faded big time in DCM (7’10 pace until 20m ended up 7’45 pace overall). I think the extra weekly miles, more 17 - 20 milers (starting them early) and longer time on my feet (hold a conversation pace LSR’s) will get me where I want to be. Where is that? ......a reasonably comfortable finish in Rotterdam but leaving nothing on the table. Have a read of aero2k’s race report, post 202. Ok, I’m not going for sub 3 or anything like it but that’s the kind of run I’m after. I know marathons are not supposed to be comfortable but I don’t want to feel sick/eyes rolling/ walking etc. I need to learn from mistakes in Belfast and DCM and have even or negative splits and enjoy all of it!!! That’s the goal. I’ll be fitter by April and will have a target time/pace then.

Chat to you along the way and good luck with your own goals.

Everything in its right place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hello People, this is my log.
    It is, for me, a place to capture my Rotterdam marathon training progress and for people to read/criticise/advise/say hello and add general banter if you so wish.

Background: In 05 I was a bit of a pig, I’m 5 10’ but got up to 15 stone. I then had a short (8 month) stint of running and lost lots of fat. YoYo’d since and for the last year or so I’ve gotten into running a lot more serious and I’ve got to say it’s something I think I’ll always do on a regular basis. This time I mean it, I just love it.

Milestones over the last year:
    • Aware 10km (Dec 08) : 50mins
    • New Year’s Day (09) 5km in the phoenix park (I forget what this was called): 23’25 I think.
    • Wexford half marathon in (April 09): 1’40’??
    • Belfast marathon (May 09): 3’40’42
    • Joined a club in June.
    • Adidas 5 mile (July 09): 33’43
    • Frank Duffy 10 miles: 80’??
    • Pearl Izumi 10km: 39’10 (I’m still buzzing about that one)
    • Adidas half marathon (Sept 09): 1’29’01
    • DCM Oct 09: 3’25’16
    • Weight now: 11stone 4lbs

The rough plan for Rotterdam:
    I’m going to increase the amount of mileage this time around from a weekly average of 38 (peaking at 50) to a weekly average of 55-60. I bought the Jack Daniels book but I really couldn’t be arsed going through it right now....I’m just dead happy to go out and run to a rough weekly plan. I don’t want to spend too much time thinking about things right now. If you haven’t done so (and I suppose A/R/T newbies won’t have), go read Tergat’s posts. He has given some excellent advice as many many others have also. I'm using all of that instead of a set plan for now.

The weekly plan is something like this:

• Monday: Rest or if need be 20 – 60 mins (depending on week of program) recovery
    • Tuesday: Speed session in club. Covering 400s or 600s or 800s or 1000s. Yes its decided by the coach that week. This will be done up until about 8 or 9 weeks to go where I will concentrate on marathon pace (MP) miles as my 'keep the fitness' if you get me. I know people say 400’s (for example) are no use for marathon training. I know. It’s the structure of having these sessions every Tuesday with the club MAKES me run harder. I enjoy these and it’s good to have a gauge on how well you are doing relative to others in the group (I'm not competitive at all, honest). If I improve my 5/10km time along the way, bonus.
    • Wednesday: Recovery. Again, 20 – 60 mins (depending on week of program).
    • Thursday: 10 miler with club including about 4-5 miles tempo. Another one I don't want to tamper with.
    • Friday: 40 - 60 mins medium/easy effort.
    • Saturday: Roughly half LSR distance at medium effort.
    • Sunday: LSR. For the first few weeks I plan on doing the last 3 or 4 miles at MP but this is going to be decided on how I feel then and not on a plan I write up now. For the last 8 weeks I’m going to concentrate my ‘hard’ workouts doing MP miles. I don’t want to eat into my glycogen reserves too much by running speed/hard sessions.

Summary: That’s, a weekly long run, one longish run with tempo miles, a speed session and the rest are medium effort and recovery. As a ‘David Brent’ type manager of mine used to say, use the ‘KISS’ principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. Cheeseball.

The week just gone was the first week I’ve run with recovery runs....I mean real recovery runs (8’30 average pace). I’ve run 7 days in a row and felt strong all week. My legs felt better for it rather than resting, which again, I tried based on Tergats advice. On the way to DCM, all runs over the second half of the program were from 7’50 and much quicker. That’s going to change (easy/recovery runs might be at 7’50 pace come March if that is my recovery pace. Let’s just see). I faded big time in DCM (7’10 pace until 20m ended up 7’45 pace overall). I think the extra weekly miles, more 17 - 20 milers (starting them early) and longer time on my feet (hold a conversation pace LSR’s) will get me where I want to be. Where is that? ......a reasonably comfortable finish in Rotterdam but leaving nothing on the table. Have a read of aero2k’s race report, post 202. Ok, I’m not going for sub 3 or anything like it but that’s the kind of run I’m after. I know marathons are not supposed to be comfortable but I don’t want to feel sick/eyes rolling/ walking etc. I need to learn from mistakes in Belfast and DCM and have even or negative splits and enjoy all of it!!! That’s the goal. I’ll be fitter by April and will have a target time/pace then.

Chat to you along the way and good luck with your own goals.

Everything in its right place

Best of luck with the log. Just one question i would have would be are all your training group for the club sessions targeting marathons and the same marathon as it might be optimal sessions for your stage of training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ecoli wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log. Just one question i would have would be are all your training group for the club sessions targeting marathons and the same marathon as it might be optimal sessions for your stage of training

Cheers ecoli. You probably meant 'not be optimal sessions'. There are about 3 doing marathons and one is a probable for Rotterdam. They don't always turn up mind you. The coach kind of splits it up. Some run a bit ahead, he could get you to drop one and so on. He kind of tailors it so that it suits the individuals but still manages to keep it together if you get me. The tempo longish run is grand. Starts out easy and splits up a bit. So you can go at it more or less at the pace that suits. I keep an eye on the Garmin and it works out well. While these aren't perfect, I don't want to drop them. They break up the week nicely and push me to a point I'd struggle to do it on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Something positively wrong here:
    Pearl Izumi 10km: 39’10 (I’m still buzzing about that one)
    Adidas half marathon (Sept 09): 1’29’01
    DCM Oct 09: 3’25’16

Either you're built for 10ks and 1/2s, or you owe that marathon a beating.
    Good luck with the new log and Rotterdam.

Something positively wrong here:
    Pearl Izumi 10km: 39’10 (I’m still buzzing about that one)
    Adidas half marathon (Sept 09): 1’29’01
    DCM Oct 09: 3’25’16

Cheers Krusty. Everything in its right PACE :D I really think that was the problem, getting to 20m with a 7'10 pace when planned pace was 7'25. That and weekly mileage wasn't the best. Another mistake, I think was to run 16m, 2 weeks before DCM at an average pace of 7'06.

You are right, I owe that marathon a beating man...

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Brilliant, brilliant log title, in fact I haven't read the posts, I don't need to, they have to be good with a log title that good, I have no doubt you will achieve your goals, whatever they may be, just cos of the log title, you even linked to the song, my favourite song of all time - legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Cheers Krusty. Everything in its right PACE :D I really think that was the problem, getting to 20m with a 7'10 pace when planned pace was 7'25. That and weekly mileage wasn't the best. Another mistake, I think was to run 16m, 2 weeks before DCM at an average pace of 7'06.

You are right, I owe that marathon a beating man...

Why did you go off at 15 seconds a mile faster ??? With a garmin you have no excuse. you blew up lesson learnt. Doesnt mean you cant have a go nxt time.
    I normally do 13 miles at mp two weeks before the marathon.
    Plenty of long ones. Couple of long ones speeding up at the end to train your legs to run fast when tired.

Best of luck with the log.

Why did you go off at 15 seconds a mile faster ??? With a garmin you have no excuse. you blew up lesson learnt. Doesnt mean you cant have a go nxt time.

Cheers VR, Cause I'm an idiot, felt unbelievably good and thought if I did get as bad as I did in my first marathon that I'd just tough it out. Lesson learnt is an under statement.

OI, nice one! Its a great song isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Cheers VR, Cause I'm an idiot, felt unbelievably good and thought if I did get as bad as I did in my first marathon that I'd just tough it out. Lesson learnt is an under statement.

OI, nice one! Its a great song isn't it.

TBH, I've just been listening to Kid a again, it's definitely the one album that I never tire of, there is just so much in it to explore and get to grips with. I was listening to THAT song in bed the other night and I was just amazed by it again, it's unbelievable. The thumping organ at the start always gets me. I've been doing a lot of reading and researching the the concepts behind kid a last week so it was a massive surprise to see you log title. One theory suggests that's it about the birth of the first human clone with everything in it's .......anyway the log title is perfect, wish I had thought of it.

How to disa - run completely? Dammit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Jeez man that's some improvement in times as the races went on.

Best of luck with the log man and yer goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Misty you are where i'd like to be in 6 months !!

I am about the same height and was 17 and a half stone........down now to just over 16 and working hard.

Good luck with the log and i have some times up there i'd like to work towards ( never mind the weight:D )

• Advertisement

Week after DCM: Total rest for a full week

Week 2 after DCM: 3 x easyish runs
    - 3m @ 8.07 m/m
    - 5.1m @ 7.41 m/m
    - 10.1 @ 7.41 m/m

Week 3 after DCM: 4 sessions including a speed session
    - 6 x 800m with 2.5 mins recovery (Averaged about 2:50s) Hard work. 3 mile warm up/down
    - 8.1m @ 7.32 m/m
    - 3.05m @ 8.28 m/m
    - 6.23 @ 7.52 m/m

Week 4 after DCM
    : 3 sessions including speed session
    - 10 x 600's can't for the life of me remember times (Garmin connect not working). Tough session....I remember that much
    - - 7.6m @ 7:16 m/m
    - 12.7m @ 7:54 m/m including hills. Felt really good.

Week 5 after DCM: 7 sessions including a speed session, LSR and Tempo

- 5.1m @ 8:15 m/m
    - 10 x 600m Ranging from 2.00 to 2.18. These were out on the road. Half into the wind and half with the wind. 3 mile warm up/down. Felt great doing these.
    - 4.1m @ 8:19 m/m recovery
    - 7.1m @ 7:20 m/m (3 miles around 6:30 m/m). Brilliant run felt great.
    - 5.1m @ 8:05 m/m
    - 14.2m @ 7:48 m/m including hills. This was the most enjoyable run I've done in a couple of months. Felt really strong. Tried out a Hi-5 gel and thats what I'm going to use from now on. Sat real easy in the stomach.
    - 5.5m @ 8:15 m/m in the worst weather conditions I've ever trained in.

Total mileage for that week was 49 when warm up/down miles are included. Very happy with that. Need to edit later on to add HRM info because garmin connect is down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good going MF, you have a nice mileage built back up - with some great - quality - after DCM.

Need to get the lead out myself, can't let you get too far ahead!

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 5 x 800m. (2:53/2:49/2:47/2:51/2:44) Ave HR overall 171bpm. 3 miles warm up/down.

Tonight: 6.2m recovery run @ 8:25 m/m. HR @ 148

Must do something about my diet. I've been eating garbage although not gaining weight. Not good though. All that sugar/fat makes you feel crap.

Christeb, you've still got your fitness though. Sign up for Rotterdam, that'll make you get the miles in, join the gang :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi Misty glad to see you got a log and best of luck with it and now I can keep a closer eye on my competition :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Good luck my friend. As Krusty said, you owe that marathon a whuppin'

Like the title aswell, Kid A is my favourite Radiohead album.

[@woddle]Ha ha between you and Christeb. This is getting competitive. I knocked out a 49 mile week last week mainly cause I felt good but also cause you are hitting a solid base...... "If woddle does it, I better". I'm also thinking about the VO2 test thing. "If woddle does it, I better". Nutritionist??? "If woddle does it, I better" :D

tunguska wrote: »
    Good luck my friend. As Krusty said, you owe that marathon a whuppin'

Like the title aswell, Kid A is my favourite Radiohead album.

Cheers dude. I gotta go with Ok computer or In Rainbows. Actually Kid A. No its OK com.

7.3 miles
    Average speed: 7:16 m/m
    Average HR: 162

Nice run tonight. Think I'll do a 10 miler tomorrow. Its great being easy going about training while in between marathon programs.

Christeb, you've still got your fitness though. Sign up for Rotterdam, that'll make you get the miles in, join the gang :cool:

I'd love to cream both you and Wod over there, I'll be knee deep in exams then unfortunately :mad:

Nice run just before the rain.

10m @ 7:38 m/m

House party tonight with some non alcoholic Erdinger. Your only man ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Misty,

Just found your log. Great title, and a very sound approach. (well I would say that as it's similer to mine!)
    I've just read a book called "Everyone's guide to distance running" by Norrie Williamson. He points out several times that once you've done the training, the race itself is almost a forgone conclusion. This certainly matched my experience - (I notice you linked my DCM report - thanks!) and I think in targeting the idea of "not leaving anything out on the road" most of that should be in your training rather than the race. I don't mean train yourself to a standstill, but having a plan, doing all your sessions, getting plenty of rest, and being consistent will all pay huge dividends on the day. I have raced myself almost to the point of collapse in the past, particularly on the bike, but I like Chris Boardman's description of the good days "when you know you can't go any faster, but you don't feally feel the pain". That's how it was for me in DCM '09, and I can only wish you, and everyone reading, that kind of race experience, preferably more than once!
    Best of luck, I'll be following this log.

Thanks Aero2k. Going back to your race report. It really did strike a chord with me (F#....sorry :o). The thing about my mess in DCM is that I think I'm hungrier yet more sensible. Lets see what happens. DCM is my main goal for 2010 but its Rotterdam for now.

Great run today, I really enjoyed it. Was nice to be racing instead of stewarding yesterday at the jingle bells. The amount of grief you get off motorists is unreal. Some treat you like dirt. I know some complained over on the events page which I'm not going to get involved in but the amount of volunteers for that, the amount of time put into it was pretty impressive. So much good vibes and mucking in. I for one am proud of the people of Donore. Issues noted and passed on.

Anyway, today, very windy but at least it wasn't raining. Don't think the wind played much of a part. PB in the bag for myself : 19:14 by my watch. Those short races are very hard. You want to take the foot off the gas the whole way around.

4 minutes off my new years day 09 time so I'm happy with that. Still not back to where I was in September but not far off. Think I'm coming down with something since yesterday. Hope its nothing.

Think I'm coming down with something since yesterday. Hope its nothing.
    ...................Was nothing. I've gone a full year without catching anything. Its definitely the exercise that helps.

Roughly 40 miles last week. Happy enough with that.

Tonights 5 miler was a recovery run @ 8:30 m/m. The first run of 18 weeks to Rotterdam.

A strange session tonight. Don't know what you'd call it. Garmin link.

It was a speed session, I know that much. A triangular section in the phoneix park just inside the chapelizod gate. We done one straight hard/fast, next maybe decent effort (not recovery but not a jog) , next hard/fast and repeat. 6 loops, 3miles altogether.

So 3 miles in 19:43! One straight was up a decent hill and stopped for traffic to loose a few seconds. My 3.1m (5km race) time on Sunday was 19:15!!! I think I ran a poor race on Sunday? If I can run 3m (according to Garmin granted) in 19:43, with an variation in effort and a section up a hill (x 6), two days after a race and its in training!. I also felt I had more in the bag to push faster. ??????????????

Very happy with it. Also caught most of the Leeds game. Leeds V Man u next up in the FA cup!!!!!!!!!!!..........sweet.

A strange session tonight. Don't know what you'd call it. Garmin link.

It was a speed session, I know that much. A triangular section in the phoneix park just inside the chapelizod gate. We done one straight hard/fast, next maybe decent effort (not recovery but not a jog) , next hard/fast and repeat. 6 loops, 3miles altogether.

So 3 miles in 19:43! One straight was up a decent hill and stopped for traffic to loose a few seconds. My 3.1m (5km race) time on Sunday was 19:15!!! I think I ran a poor race on Sunday? If I can run 3m (according to Garmin granted) in 19:43, with an variation in effort and a section up a hill (x 6), two days after a race and its in training!. I also felt I had more in the bag to push faster. ??????????????

Very happy with it. Also caught most of the Leeds game. Leeds V Man u next up in the FA cup!!!!!!!!!!!..........sweet.

Sounds good dude. Are you doing the aware 10k on saturday? Be a good test for your endurance, see if you can maintain the speed over 10k distance. I personally like 10ks because its good to compare the 5k splits and that'll give you a good indication of how well condtioned you are.
    Although I was talking to john from Donore last night and he said it was the club christmas party friday night.........

Sounds good dude. Are you doing the aware 10k on saturday?

No I'm not racing the aware although I'm tempted. I find the races mess the training plan up a bit. I really wanna get a long run in this weekend and I struggle to do those the day after a race. I'll either be doing the magazine hills with the club on Saturday morning or I'll be watching the race. Not going out for xmas party....bah humbug.
    Easy 5 miles this evening.

No I'm not racing the aware although I'm tempted. I find the races mess the training plan up a bit.

My thoughts exactly, man we have matured as runners since last year :D

Fantastic evening for it, cold but dry and no wind.
    Garmin link here

I didn't plan to run that fast but I felt great. Will take it easy over the next two days. I think I should have done a cool down jog after this as I finished fast. Anyway, a good/hard session in the bag. This week has some quality in it, need to add quantity (LSR) at the weekend.

I've been sleeping for 45min to an hour after work everyday. Lovin it as I'm fresh for the run in the evening. Don't know how people can train for marathons with kid(s).

What I learned today:
    - Cool down jog after tempo.
    - DJ Shadow (album called Endtroducing) is a fantastic album to run a tempo to. Starting to use MP3 player. Loving catching up on albums that I've parked.
    - Watch the feckin pace!!

Song for tonights run

• Advertisement

None of your links seem to work for me...either way that is one decent run in the bag

Thanks I feel a little tired after that last night. The link, is it because you are in work...some kind of firewall IT thingy?

If anyone happens to read this can you try the links. Just want to know if I'm adding them in correctly. Cheers.

Thanks I feel a little tired after that last night. The link, is it because you are in work...some kind of firewall IT thingy?

If anyone happens to read this can you try the links. Just want to know if I'm adding them in correctly. Cheers.

Got the song but not the garmin page, error is coming up, nice run.

Thanks lads. How about this?: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/20346291

Appreciate it.

still no joy

Woddle wrote: »
    still no joy

Thanks for your patience. How about now: Work damn it!

There is a public and private icon that I switched to public. Hope that does it.

• Advertisement

We have a winner :D

Idiotic running yesterday. It was supposed to be easy/recovery real slow. Went running with a neighbour and I couldn't bring myself to say, slow down. I will next time.

5m @ 6:59 m/m a good minute and a half pace too fast. Oops. After a day of servicing the car and other bits and pieces I never got around to eat until late. Felt rotten yesterday. So day off running today, slept it in and missed the aware race that I wanted to watch. Ah well.

16 mile LSR @ 8:10 min/mile Garmin Link

What a beautiful morning. Really really enjoyed that run. Some hills included.

1x Powerbar gel
    1x bottle water (500ml)

47 miles this week.

Off to the brooklodge in Wiclow for a shoulder and head massage, night in the hotel, dinner and lots of wine. Best present ever :D

Hangover day yesterday including dirty fry up and lots of Chinese food.

Tonights session was animal. A fartlek session. I didn't have my watch but from gmaps pedometer it was 8.3 miles http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3368406

Very fast up the hills in the Phoenix. Really really tough. Loved it.

Your going well misty, I'm really going to have to get the finger out :D
    Keep up the good work as whenever I'm not in the humour I just look to see what either you, christeb and robinph have done and that's normally enough to get me out the door.

• Advertisement

6 miler @ 8:18 min/mile
    Went for xmas dinner with some work mates. A three course meal which was great. Horrible run due to over eating earlier. Meh!

9.8mile in about 67 minutes. Another animal session. The opening mile must of been 7:50 so we were fairly motoring after. Really happy with this but raging I didn't have my Garmin. Fitness is right up there if not fitter than I've ever been. Happy.

No more VO2 or hard tempo sessions until a club handicapped 10mile race on St Stephens day.

Week 1
    • Monday: 5 mile recovery (5km race day before)
    • Tuesday: Speed session. Approx 3m (19'45) broken into hard/medium/hard etc sections and 3m warm up/down.
    • Wednesday: 5m easy
    • Thursday: 10m @ 7'01 m/m
    • Friday: 5m @ 6'59 m/m (should have been recovery)
    • Saturday: Unplanned rest. Needed.
    • Sunday: 16m @ 8'10 m/m

Total miles: 47m

Week 2
    • Monday: 0 hungover
    • Tuesday: Fartlek session. 8.3 miles with lots of hills.
    • Wednesday: 6m @ 8'18 m/m
    • Thursday: 10m @ 6'51 m/m
    • Friday: 0 bad cold :mad:
    • Saturday: 0 bad cold :mad:
    • Sunday: 15.3m @ 8'30 m/m on the threadmill. zzzzzz

Total miles: 39.6m

Delighted to hit 39m even though I lost 2 days. Hopefully this cold will clear up quickly and not move into my lungs. I've never trained with a cold but from my neck down, I felt good to go.

Got myself tickets for the Paul McCartney gig tonight :D You gotta love the beatles.

Got myself tickets for the Paul McCartney gig tonight :D You gotta love the beatles.

3 hours to Macca!!!!!!

christeb wrote: »
    3 hours to Macca!!!!!!

:D Its gonna be brilliant.

My God what a show. Indescribable

My raging jealousy over the paul mc cartney gig aside.........check this out, 10 mile race, 10 jan.

www.mallowac.ie

My raging jealousy over the paul mc cartney gig aside.........check this out, 10 mile race, 10 jan.

www.mallowac.ie

hmmm don't think I'll be doing that one. I'm thinking the following over the next few months:
    • 10mile race in Phoenix park with club on st Stephens day
    • 1st Jan: Tom Brennan 5km for the craic
    • A 10 mile or half in Late Feb or early March
    • Rotterdam marathon

You seem to be loving the racing these days.

No running yesterday. Hips are sore from the 15miles on the threadmill. Sore when I run downhill or walked.

Today: 11.5 miles @ 7'41

Really nice run over some hills near athgoe/newcastle. Last 3 miles ~ 7'20 m/m and threw in about 5x100m strides. Have almost shaken off the cold.

Didn't feel 100% today. Putting that down to the cold and eh.... a Woddle special training log issue :D

Day off work today :D Finish off the shopping and a Guinness as a reward afterwards ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement