Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything in its right PACE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Good luck Andy, take that m o t h e r f u c k e r to the cleaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

10th April
    2.7m easy on an amazing morning.

I love this time of the marathon build up. You are so alive and in touch with every sence. After such a tough winter training schedule its nice to have the last run on such a beautiful morning. Going to run a marathon.

Everything in its right pace.

tunguska wrote: »
    Good luck Andy, take that m o t h e r f u c k e r to the cleaners.

Thanks dude, I just read that piece while brushing my teeth. Great info. Fitting that you of all people should be the last to wish me luck....the one that knocked fat Andy into shape!

woop woop!! 3:00:30 on the garmin.

I can't tell you guys how happy I am, really proud of myself. I'll have a race report tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and support along the way. It was a serious help for me. Fecking welling up again :D

I hope you got what you were going for this weekend or whatever your next goal is but if not there is always a next time and it makes the good times even better. Trust me.

I'm already looking forward to the next one. See you on the roads.

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I can't tell you guys how happy I am, really proud of myself. I'll have a race report tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and support along the way. It was a serious help for me. Fecking welling up again :D

I hope you got what you were going for this weekend or whatever your next goal is but if not there is always a next time and it makes the good times even better. Trust me.

Andy.

Great stuff Misty.....your putting some pressure on me now.
    Im delighted for you,you had to battle for this.....after two bad experiences in your last 2 marathons...you had doubts...well,those doubts are gone now...congratulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nice one Andy. You should be rightly proud of this.....you had faith in your training and it paid dividends. Lots more to come from you I think.

Enjoy those beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It all paid off. Hearty congrats there Andy. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well done Misty, great running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm soooo following your training plan when I'm aiming for my next marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Delighted for ya Misty, well done!

Looking forward to the report!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Well done Misty. You trusted your training and it's paid off ! Brilliant effort. Fair dues. Looking forward to the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great stuff misty, at least you can fall asleep at the finish line feeling satisfied :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Seems like you ran the perfect race. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gilmore

Fantastic stuff Misty. Just rewards for the excellent training you put in.
    Looking forward to your race report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭tergat

well done great run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Andy.

Great job Misty, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done misty. great time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fantastic stuff Misty! Really looking forward to the race report. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Unbelieveable Misty Floyd!!
    Sort out that hangover and get a full race report up here now :D
    Fantastic, a million miles removed from Dublin or Belfast
    Well done again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Savage going - 3:00:30, really superb. That improvement (at that level) over ~6 months - I'll say it again, brilliant :eek:

Edit: you know it's good when even tergat is congratulating you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I think you better put up your race report asap dude, before theres some sort of revolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thats pretty damn good running. Well done. Looking 4ward to the report.

ha ha ha feckin great, thanks everyone. I better get going on the race report but I had a terrible nights sleep (the drink) and I'm fairly wrecked now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Well done misty, that was great running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great run .( especially for someone who declared that they were not going for "sub 3 or anything like that" :D. Seriously congratulations - I'll be re reading this log from start when I next begin a training cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

fantastic result, thoroughly deserved after such quality, smart, controlled and patient training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

delighted for you savage running dude

What got me here
    I suppose this all started at around mile 19 of DCM 09. I worked my ass off for that race and that sinking body shut down feeling was something I never wanted to feel again. Investing so much into one race for it to fall apart like that was hard for me. I had to fix it.

Training
    Hiding at my desk in work the week after DCM, I came across this thread (Improving for next time) and some posts by Tergat. It was time to make things simple and address the endurance problems I had in my two marathons (Belfast 09 3:40:?? and DCM 09 3:25:??). No more weekly racing guys in the club during tempo sessions. I completed two marathon specific runs per week and lots of easy miles in between. I’ve attached my training plan again. I really enjoyed training this time around, no injuries and lots more energy. I also dropped a few more pounds which was a bonus. I ran a 10m race 4 weeks before the marathon in Craughwell (great race) and finished strong with 62min 12s. This, and confidence in my training, confirmed for me what several people had suggested....go for sub3.

Race Plan
    I made up my mind to go for a negative split. I always perform better when I do that and I thought it a safer approach plus I felt confident about that. Starting off with ~ 7:00 m/m for the first couple, reach half way at around 1:31:00 and take it home at 18m. I was confident of this, why not.

Race Day
    I woke up and felt no butterflies, no worries. It was like any morning getting up for work. I just got it done. I went for breakfast and scoffed strange tasting muesli and 3 slices of bread. I said goodbye to my girlfriend and got into the D pen pretty early. It was windy, which I wasn’t worried about but it did make things colder having to wait around. It was nearly time and we were treated to “You’ll never walk alone”. “Boom”, the canons went off and it was time to go....finally.

The Race
    I punched the watch at the mat and started the weaving. Despite being at the top of the D pen, there were lots of slower runners. I missed the first km so I didn’t get to check my pace band but my watch did beep at the first mile: 7:18. That’s ok; I expected that, so I continued at a similar effort. Still avoiding people, I missed the 2km mark.

You know when you are driving your car over the speed limit (e.g. the roads on the way to Heuston?) and out of nowhere, a transit van is parked on the side of the road or a garda with a speed gun? ..............“Beep”, mile 2: 6:07:eek: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! I hit the brakes. Ok man you’re an idiot but you’re in control here. I didn’t panic, it’s a long race. I thought about it for a bit and thought that the plan of ~6:50 – 6:55m/m would be important now. I couldn’t take the chance of eating into those vital glycogen reserves especially now that I had made a withdrawal so early.

I followed that up with a 6:59. Miles 3-18 were like an LSR for me. Not in terms of effort but the way they past uneventful like, lost in my thoughts, thinking about how I felt and what my pace was like. I wasn’t thinking about anything else. I did start talking to a guy that I had spotted at our hotel. “Are you Irish?” I asked. A Kilkenny man, going for the 3. He asked me if I was on for it and I said “about a minute behind....that’s alright”. I was surprised with myself that I talked to anybody but I also noticed how easy it was to talk. How easy 6:50m/m was compared to the PMP miles in training. For these 15 or so miles it was just a case of getting the job done. The wind at points was tough and trying to shelter, I found myself running a little slower than I wanted. So I took wind quite a bit. Again, no panic, this is part of the race. I got a shout at around miles 12&13 from my GF and a mate from the club. I smiled and thanked them, that was great. I was enjoying it.

Splits mile 4 - 18:
    6:54/6:52/6:47/6:52/6:50/6:57/6:51/6:40/6:53/6:52/6:58/6:51/6:39/6:48

During lots of these miles, any km marker I saw, I would check my stopwatch and check my pace band. The font was too small and it was pissing me off. It was a total distraction. When I did read things correctly, I seemed to be 60 – 70 seconds behind sub 3 up to mile 18. My half marathon time was 1:31:04, just 4 seconds outside where I wanted to be.

Like most of my LSR’s that ended with PMP miles, I went into mile 18 not knowing how it would feel. It felt ok.

18: 6:41 / 19: 6:39 / 20: 6:39 / 21: 6:44

So 20 came and went and I didn’t feel it, not that I feared it. I started to see people walking and I was overtaking lots and lots of people. I felt great doing this. Mile 22: 6:34 and it was starting to hurt. Not a shutdown, more of an all body ache. I saw two people puking sub 3 on the side of the road and tons of dutch people shouting encouragement. I didn’t need any. In the past I needed it but I was in the zone....kind of loving it in a weird way.
    I got so fed up looking at the watch and trying to work out what I was behind sub 3 that I just dropped that plan and decided to run to the end as fast as I could...what more could I do. This was the case from mile 18 really.

Mile 23: 6:47 and mile 24: 6:46.

I knew I was close but serious work to do and I remembered what Tunguska told me to read 2 minutes before I left the house the day before the race. He told me to read a piece from Jack Daniels book. If you are struggling, increase the pace. I wanted to see how that felt. I put the foot down. Within 300m I came across a sponge stop, grabbed one and some water went down my nose. Increasing the pace like that felt horrible and I think the water gave me an excuse to drop that faster than fast pace. I just couldn’t do it, my body was screaming at me.

My left quad started to tighten and I feared it could pull me to the side of the road if I wasn’t careful. I could only manage Mile 25 at: 6:51. That tightness kind of went by kicking my ass with my heel (if you get me). Mile 26: 6:40 and with teeth grinding and arms pumping the last half mile (26.5 on garmin) was at a pace of 6:06 m/m.

I think I knew at mile 24 that the sub 3 was gone but it wasn’t really until 200m to go that I looked at the watch and knew it wasn’t there. “Go Andy”, I heard my GF say. I crossed the line completely overjoyed. I ran a damn solid race.

3:00:30

Afterthoughts:
    I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a bit of regret about the 31 seconds. The second mile? The wind? Should I have worked harder on earlier miles to go slightly under 6:50m/m? Should I have taken the 4/5 people advice on this log to run even splits? It’s funny when you get a time like that. Everyone’s reaction is like the reaction people have when watching you’ve been framed type clips of people falling. I feel like I have to say, “Relax, it’s ok I’m delighted”. That’s my time and nobody can take it from me. Nite nite DCM.

Sorry for the ramblings, the long post and the me me me, I did this , I did that side of things. Its good getting this out of the head and I’d recommend posting a race report regardless of a good or bad experience. Thanks to everyone for posting on A/R/T especially in the logs. They are a huge benefit to read through, and figure out what might work for you. The good wishes and advice are also priceless. It was also great to put some faces to names in the Irish bar that night and great to hear of so many great performances.

Almost Everything in its right PACE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sorry for the ramblings, the long post and the me me me, I did this , I did that side of things. Its good getting this out of the head and I’d recommend posting a race report regardless of a good or bad experience.

Who else are you going to write about, it's your log :D so not sure why your apologising. Great read and am delighted for you and your log has been a very positive good vibe log that I've enjoyed following, congrats again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Well done again. Great report.

Gives us plodders hope that if we put the effort in we might get to your level :)

Advertisement