Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything in its right PACE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

16th April (Friday after marathon)
    5m easy

Didn't run at the weekend. Total miles for week: 8m

19th April
    10m easy (7:52m/m). Felt easy (not out of breath) but when I got to 6m my quads were hurting. They are a bit sore now. Great conditions running up the canal near me and I really enjoyed it.

Just going to trundle along for the next week or so. I'm thinking about doing the bhaa RTE 5m on Sat or Sun week to knock the cobwebs off and then give the sportsworld 5m on May 16th a lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play to ya on the excellent time in Rotterdam. I'm aiming to get down from 3:11 (DCM 09) to sub 3 for Toronto Marathon 2010 (September). Flatter course than DCM and a long summer will help. From recollection, I think you finished in or around the same as me for DCM? Any key hints/ tips in getting those minutes?

Killerz wrote: »
    Fair play to ya on the excellent time in Rotterdam. I'm aiming to get down from 3:11 (DCM 09) to sub 3 for Toronto Marathon 2010 (September). Flatter course than DCM and a long summer will help. From recollection, I think you finished in or around the same as me for DCM? Any key hints/ tips in getting those minutes?

Hey Killerz. Toronto, nice one I'd love that. I finished 2:25:?? at DCM.

Key hints/tips? Well I got lots of tips/ideas from other peoples posts/logs but I got an awfull lot of good info from Tergat. Look up his stuff. I posted this a few pages back:
    Its definitely a combination of these:
    • Increasing weekly mileage.
    • Lots of big LSR's with PMP miles.
    • A big mid week weekly session e.g built up to 4x2miles @ Half MP.
    • Easy miles in between the big workouts. For me that was at 8m/m.

If I had to pick one thing (even though it was a combination of all) I'd pick the easy running in between big workouts. I only had to do two hard workouts a week so I'd pysche myself up for them no bother. Because they were hard the rest of the sessions felt so easy in comparisson and they were like a reward. They also added up the weekly mileage so reaching a Sunday with 60miles in the bag was good for the confidence, especially when you're feeling ok. They were also good for keeping injuries at bay and I had a lot more (more than for DCM) energy/motivation in work replacing quicker sessions with easy ones. Having said all of that I wouldn't have run many easy miles if I wasn't running the big workouts and without the big workouts, I don't think I would have addressed the endurance issues I had.

Best of luck with Toronto. The sub 3 attempts are great to follow.

20th April
    19km cycle. Its been over a year since I took the bike out. Enjoyed that.

21st April
    6m in Phoenix, about 7:15m/m. Was watching the graded running in Santry. I liked the look of that and I'm gonna give that a go this Summer. Something different.

22nd April
    6m in Phoneix, 7:18m/m.

Getting back to normal and enjoying things too...which is great.

24th April
    2hrs golf....cross training? A year ago, I was really enjoying the golf. No interest now.

25th April
    13.1m with some hills @ 7:41m/m. Felt good, I enjoyed it.

Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31055964

• Advertisement

Catching up on the log. I'm just doing whatever training I feel like doing at the moment.

19th Aril - Sunday 25th April
    • Mon 10m @ 7:52m/m
    • Tues: 19km cycle
    • Wed: 6m @ 7:15m/m
    • Thurs: 6m @ 7:18
    • Fri: 2hrs golf
    • Sat: 13.1m @ 7:41m/m
    • Sun: Rest (hungover)
    Total running for week: 35.1m

Mon 26th April
    Pyramid speed session.

1m warm up
    400m/600m/800m/1000m/1000m/800/600/400 (2-3 mins jog in between)
    4x150m strides
    1m cool down

Total ~7m. I messed up the watch settings but the average pace was 5:26m/m not including the jogging. Felt absolutely muck. Not at the races at all. I've had a head cold and the system wan't right but it was the legs that were asleep and the speed just wasn't there. .

27th April
    Sick day.

28th April
    Feeling much better.
    • Core workout, ouch been a while.
    • Biceps & Shoulders
    • Yoga class, ouch.

29th April
    8.8m in Phoenix @ 7:06m/m
    Second half felt a lot better than first half.

Gonna have an easy few days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi misty, I just read your race report from Rotterdam. That really is inspirational stuff. Massive congrats on an amazing time.

26th April - Sunday 2nd May week 3 post marathon
    • Mon Speed pyramid session including warm up/down & strides.Total:8m (Ave speed of faster bits: 5:26m/m).
    • Tues: Rest.
    • Wed: No running. Core work out, yoga class, biceps and shoulders.
    • Thurs: 8.8m @ 7:06m/m
    • Fri: 5.5m easy (Felt a bit crap)
    • Sat: Rest
    • Sun: 13.2m easy (7:59m/m). Enjoyed that.
    Total running for week: 35.5m

The difference doing speed work. So much more of a demand on the body than doing big miles and slower (but longer) intervals. I'm just not used to the shorter speed stuff at the moment, which is expected. The next few Tuesday sessions will be tough, out of the comfort zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good to see you're taking a handy approach after your marathon exertions. I made the mistake once of racing too hard and too soon after DCM08 and paid for it with a few months of injury.

I'll be adopting a similar strategy to you - my grand total this week has been 3.5 miles yesterday and 3 miles today!

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Good to see you're taking a handy approach after your marathon exertions. I made the mistake once of racing too hard and too soon after DCM08 and paid for it with a few months of injury.

I'll be adopting a similar strategy to you - my grand total this week has been 3.5 miles yesterday and 3 miles today!

Ah yeah nothing planned yet Peckham just plugging away with about 4 runs a week. I've a few busy weekends coming up so will have missed miles but no worries.

3rd May
    Rest. Great day watching Belfast marathon. Really enjoyed it.

4th May
    On the track tonight. 18 x 400m and 100m jog in between.
    79/81/82/82/83/82/82/84/82/82/82/80/81/81/81/79/81/78
    Not that fast but felt controlled all the way, getting there. Thought I did 20? Damn, I must pay more attention.
    Warm up/cool down.

I wore my new brooks race shoes tonight which were great. Hamstring very tight and sore....not good.

5th May
    5m easy but they didn't feel that easy. Got home from work and slept for 2hrs, that track sessin knocked the stuffing out of me. Good though.

Hamstring better but need to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

On the track tonight. 18 x 400m and 100m jog in between.
    79/81/82/82/83/82/82/84/82/82/82/80/81/81/81/79/81/78
    Not that fast but felt controlled all the way, getting there. Thought I did 20? Damn, I must pay more attention.
    Warm up/cool down.

I wore my new brooks race shoes tonight which were great. Hamstring very tight and sore....not good.

Some session there misty, 18 repeats! Keep an eye on the hamstring lad.

What brooks shoes did ya get ? T6 ?

tisnotover wrote: »
    Some session there misty, 18 repeats! Keep an eye on the hamstring lad.

What brooks shoes did ya get ? T6 ?

Cheers man, I'll only run easy if its still tight. I got the T4's and I really liked them.....except for the glittery laces. One of the lads asked me where I got them. I got mixed up between Sub4 and Runways and said subways :rolleyes:. Anyway, Not sure if the niggle/injury was from using them. Post marathon is a very injury prone time, I'm finding.

6th May
    • Cut the grass (front and back, no strimmer)
    • Dumbells: Shoulders/biceps/chest
    • Core: 30mins
    • 6.2m @ 7:07m/m
    • Admired my crap job of the lawn
    • 1.8m cool down cause I felt like it.

Planned to run slow but legs felt great. Happy.

7th May
    5m easy

8th/9th May
    Surfing might count as cross training.
    Hungover and celebrating Leeds promotion so no running last weekend.

Total for last week:23.7m. Crap but I don't care, it was worth it.

10th May
    5 beer sweaty miles, horrible.

11th May
    Speed session with club at the polo grounds in Phoenix. 7 laps and the straights were run fast. Recovery was a bit too long but felt very good during this one. Fully recovered from marathon. Warm up, fast run back to club to get out of rain. Ave pace of straights read 5:13m/m on the garmin....not sure how accurate that is. I just started and stopped the watch at before and after each straight. Tot: ~ 6m

12th May
    5m recovery earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Misty, surfing definately counts as cross training. All that paddling works the arms and shoulders seriously. There seem to be a fair few ART heads that do a bit of surfing. We'll have to organise a surf trip some weekend!

Good to see that you have recovered fully from the marathon. Sounded like a good interval session for your there.

Hey Macanri, ah yeah its great fun isn't it. Boards A/R/T swim suits ;) We got a really cool American guy for the lessons. An enthusiastic teacher makes a big difference. I'll definitely do it again.

13th May
    6m tempo 7:42/7:13/6:52/6:40/6:30/6:23 (Ave: 6:56m/m)
    3m easy
    Lashing rain but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Its looking very unlikely I'll be fit for sunday dude so let me know as soon as you can if you want that bobs-your-uncle thingymajig. I'll donate it elsewhere if you cant run.

tunguska wrote: »
    Its looking very unlikely I'll be fit for sunday dude so let me know as soon as you can if you want that bobs-your-uncle thingymajig. I'll donate it elsewhere if you cant run.

thanks man but I'm gonna pass on it, I'll be out Sat and I wanna get a long run in Sat morning (6 days of running). Gonna race the intel 10km the following week. Really looking forward to a short race. I haven't done one since Raheny. Do you think you'll do the intel one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

thanks man but I'm gonna pass on it, I'll be out Sat and I wanna get a long run in Sat morning (6 days of running). Gonna race the intel 10km the following week. Really looking forward to a short race. I haven't done one since Raheny. Do you think you'll do the intel one?

Id love to do Intel but its on a saturday so no can do due to obair. Im doing Donore 5k on the 29th though..........hopefully anyway. Should be ok to run properly by Tuesday Id say. Tried running last night and everything was grand until I attempted to run fast, wheels came off in a hurry.
    New film out Called "Lebanon" Looks good

tunguska wrote: »
    New film out Called "Lebanon" Looks good

Yeah its getting lots of good reviews, I'd go see it tomorrow.

15th May
    13.2m with some hills. Easy felt like 8:07m/m today. I didn't eat enough food and the last 4 miles were a real struggle. I've also got a tight and sore hamstring that I think I need to rest as its getting worse the more I run on it. Not a good day at the office but a decent week I suppose.

10th - 16th May
    • Monday: 5m easy
    • Tuesday: Speed session on polo grounds. 300m straights fast, recovery jog too long. Ave pace of straights: 5:13m/m
    • Wednesday: 5m easy
    • Thursday: 6m tempo + 3m easy
    • Friday: 5m easy
    • Saturday: 13.2m easy with hills
    • Sunday: Rest

Total for the week: 43.2m. alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Whats the next target Misty ?

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Whats the next target Misty ?

Well I'm gonna race a BHAA 10km at Intel (Leixlip) next weekend, then I'll pick a similar race for early July to focus on and kick on from there for Dublin.

What's the craic with you Salty, are you still injured? think you'll be on for Dublin? I think thats what you said before.

kick on from there for Dublin.
    Sub 2:50 so :-) ?
    What's the craic with you Salty, are you still injured? think you'll be on for Dublin? I think thats what you said before.

yeah that's still the main aim. Back a couple of weeks but it's all just easy runs with the legs screaming what's going on. Progress is slow but at least there is some. Hoping to kick on to 10-13 range this week

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Sub 2:50 so :-) ?

yeah that's still the main aim. Back a couple of weeks but it's all just easy runs with the legs screaming what's going on. Progress is slow but at least there is some. Hoping to kick on to 10-13 range this week

Great, once the legs wake up, the progress will be fast. Good luck with it.

2:50?. I don't think I'd make a call until the half in September but come late June when those long interval sessions kick in, I'll try to hit them at a 2:50 goal, see what thats like anyway and adjust if need be. 3-2:50 is massive in 6 months and very ambitious.

What about yourself, too early to make predictions? Rough idea/target?

Great, once the legs wake up, the progress will be fast. Good luck with it.

Thanks. There's times when I think I should just embrace the easy life especially when I've got to walk in mile 2 of a 6 miler :(
    What about yourself, too early to make predictions? Rough idea/target?

Early days to be honest. Did 3:16 last Oct so was contemplating a 3-3:05 attempt but not sure now. Hopefully will have a better idea come July time. At the moment I'm a million miles away from the pace required.

I've been injured and didn't see the physio until yesterday. I've had a really tight and sore hamstring for a couple of weeks that wasn't going away so I missed running for about 6 days. Between that, the great weather, a birthday and a 'don't give a sh1t' attitude that I usually have when I booze, I parked running and I think its served me well if I'm honest. Although, 6lbs since Rotterdam :eek: I think I needed a break* and was using the hamstring as a good excuse.

The physio worked wonders, I have to say, and he didn't think I'd have much trouble with it. Its sore from the work but I can stretch it and it feels normal apart from the usual massage soreness. Walking hurts but only for the first minute after sitting down. I'm going to run on it tomorrow easy and see how that goes.

Had a trip to the doctors too as I had a groin problem (damaged a muscle doing sit ups :cool:) and couldn't do core work. So I have to skip core work for a while, which is fine by me.

Just a couple of runs since my last update. 3x5m that were easy effort, again, due to injury.

I'm not at all hungry for an Autumn marathon.

*feel stupid writing that after reading about hunny monsters journey :o

• Advertisement

26th May
    5m easy. Hamstring sore but I think its from the massage.

27th May
    5.5m @ 6:59m/m first mile was 8:10 so I picked it up to test things. I've lost fitness but thats easily sorted over a few consistant weeks.

Advertisement