Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything in its right PACE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

aero2k wrote: »
    Isn't Craughwell on March 14th? Why not race it?
    Answering my own question here. Just realised that's 4 weeks before Rotterdam. I had the same dilemna with the '09 Adidas 1/2 and DCM being 4 weeks apart. In the end it turned out I was ill in the lead-up to the half so I didn't go mad, maybe 95% effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Answering my own question here. Just realised that's 4 weeks before Rotterdam. I had the same dilemna with the '09 Adidas 1/2 and DCM being 4 weeks apart. In the end it turned out I was ill in the lead-up to the half so I didn't go mad, maybe 95% effort.

Yeah, 4 weeks. 90-95% effort sounds about what I'll do. No point in busting my guts. I'll have a good idea where I'm at by then and not having raced any of the marathon in training...I hope. I remember you mentioned before that for Edinburgh that you were going to add hill work. Have you been true to your word? How's that going?

9th Feb
    Session wasn't as big as I had hoped (busy) but still a decent 11 miles. Out in Phoenix around the pitches with buddy from the club.

Long intervals: 1.6m, 1.6m & then a 2m @ 6:17 - 6:27 m/m (5.2m fast and the rest at 7:50m/m). Mess up with the Garmin, was meant to be 2m's.

Felt strong.

10th Feb
    6.2m recovery. Nice day for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

You decided on a pmp misty. Sorry if this has already been dicussed but im interested:D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    You decided on a pmp misty. Sorry if this has already been dicussed but im interested:D

Hey Oisin, I replied to your initial question....just so you don't think I ignored you ;). 3:10 so thats a PMP of 7:16 m/m.

If I went with McMillan with my 5m time it gives me 2:57ish. Feck that, I have a sub 3 in me one day but that’s a step too soon. This marathon is a learning exercise for me. I'll still give 100% but I need to run a controlled marathon. Sure running at that pace in Dublin had me in bits and you never know what could happen after 20miles at MP. If I feel fresh at 20, I'll pick it up. If I don't, I'll drop the pace before my body does it for me...if you know what I mean.

Glad your over the flu by the way. Good to get it now than closer to Edinburgh.

Yeah you will do that pace no probs bud. You seem alot fitter than Dublin, also you were not the only 1 to blow up in Dublin. Took me nearly a half hour to do the last 3 miles and i was flying up until that point. Yeah Edinburgh training started last week. My pace will be 7.27 and ill be increasing my pace run by 1 mile a week. Its upto 7.5 already and feels ok. Hopefully get it to 18 miles. Going to run Blackpool and Limerick sub 3.30 hpefully and use them as good quality long runs. Fingers crossed. Good luck with the training:D

Good luck yourself mate. Getting to 18m PMP runs will be such a confidence booster and you'll have a great idea how you'll feel in the marathon.

11 Feb
    9.5m easy with couple of lads from club. 8:15m/m.

I remember you mentioned before that for Edinburgh that you were going to add hill work. Have you been true to your word? How's that going?
    TBH I'd like to do more hill work but I can't do everything. I was doing two hill sessions per week before Christmas, and then I switched over to more speed focussed work. Most of my runs have hills in them, though, and as I start adding in MP miles on the long runs I'll start speeding up on the uphill stuff too. I've also done a few races with hills - Jingle Bells, Aware - and I'm doing the Cupid's dash on Sat. I'll do a few miles before and after so I get a tempo session, a race and a long run all in the one day.:D
    How's it working out? Well, I knocked about 90 secs off my PB for 5 miles at Raheny (okay, it's flatter than the course I set the PB on) despite slowing a bit at the end, and I feel my stride is a little bit more powerful when racing. I think I'll need a long race to be sure of progress.

and I'm doing the Cupid's dash on Sat. I'll do a few miles before and after so I get a tempo session, a race and a long run all in the one day.:D

Nice plan, how'd it go Aero?

12th Feb
    A significant date....exactly a year until myself and my GF's wedding. Also became Uncle to another fine wee baby. Day off training.

13th Feb
    22.1 miles with last 7m at PMP...ish.
    Last 7: 6:55/7:06/6:58/7:09/6:51/6:59/6:56
    Overall average of 7:42m/m (2hrs50mins30s)

Notes:
    - Good breakfast of Porridge and 2xtoast. 1.5pints of water...too much (2 toilet stops during run).
    - During run 500mls water, 3x hi 5 gels @ 7.5m, 12m & 18m. Both water and gel went down well during the MP miles...no issues.
    - 7m/m was a little forced, having said that I could have added two more if I really had to and stumbled to 26.2m without feeling sick.
    - Upped the calories this week and it really helped today. No weak feeling during or after run.

• Advertisement

Nice plan, how'd it go Aero?
    Well, I got a total of 18.7 miles done, with 6.13 @ 6:01 per mile. 2 secs per mile slower than Raheny, but the course was longer and tougher. I was happy with the early part of the race and less happy with the end, I found the Kyber tough going both ways. In retrospect 6:11 was a bit slow for the first mile.
    I didn't do any taper for Raheny or today - just treated them as weekend training sessions - and I felt a bit sluggish in both, so I'm hoping I'll feel a bit more zip when I take it easy for the week before a race.

Week 10 down (8 to go)
    (8th Feb - 14th Feb)
    • Monday: 6.1m easy
    • Tuesday: 11m with 5.2m @ 6:20 m/m.
    • Wednesday: 6.2m recovery
    • Thursday: 9.5m easy
    • Friday: Rest
    • Saturday: 22.1m @ 7:42m/m with last 7m around 7m/m
    • Sunday: Core & 5.1m recovery

Total for week: 60m

15th Feb
    Rest. Had a rest day on Friday but felt I needed it yesterday anyway after a big run on Saturday. Plus I was dead busy with family stuff.

16th Feb
    Tergat big workout: 2 mile warmup / 4x2m @ HMP / 2-3min jog in between / 6x100m strides @ 5km pace with 100m jog in between / 2 mile cool down (14m total)

HMP miles: 6:25, 6:28, 6:26, 6:34, 6:28, 6:33, 6:26, 6:29

Happy with that session. Felt easier than previous goes at it, mind you, the cool down was sluggish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's a great work-out misty floyd. Do you adapt to or just repeat it at the same pace/recovery? What are you going to max your mileage at?
    You must be willing the weeks to tick off at this stage.

I haven't been very inventive Krusty, I've been doing the same session and trying to hit it around the same pace/recovery. I'm finding it easier the more I do it (done 4 times now).
    As for max miles, I don't know :o I really should write out a full plan to the end but all I've been doing is thinking about it on a weekly basis. Do you think it would be an issue not to increase weekly miles over 60 (which I've been doing)? What I mean is, do you think its important to increase weekly mileage the closer you get to taper? I'm not sure but would appreciate knowing what you or anyone thinks. Yeah I wish it was taper like yourself. No harm hitting lots of 20milers is there? Trial and error for me these days.

17th Feb
    5m recovery/easy

I was like a zombie today. Nice sleep after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

17th Feb
    5m recovery/easy

I was like a zombie today. Nice sleep after work.
    im jealous of your ability to sleep after work. id love to do that, but id never sleep later that night if i did.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    im jealous of your ability to sleep after work. id love to do that, but id never sleep later that night if i did.

I work 2m from home so it makes it easier. Yeah sometimes I'm counting sheep alright but I've found another good use for the audiobooks (apart from when on treadmill). No wonder when we were kids we would be read stories to put us to sleep.

18th Feb
    10m @ 7:24m/m. That was hard going. Will be back to 2 big/long workouts per week from next week on and running easyish (some with strides) in between those sessions.

Nice evening for a run, perfect. Hope I'm fresh for LSR on Sat but if not will move to Sunday.

19th Feb
    - 6 v easy but muddy miles with a mate today.
    - 30mins core.

• Advertisement

Just saw that 22 miler you did misty. You are flying, well done bud:)

20 Feb

20m with some hills and last 7@PMP on the flat
    Last 7m: 6:54/6:59/6:54/6:50/6:50/6:52/6:44
    Overall average: 7:32m/m

Wasn't sure if it would be LSR today or tomorrow but went out anyway and stashed my gels and water.
    Tired first few miles. It was a funny run today. I felt tired (sore legs) but strong. Hills felt ok and PMP were hard (heavy breathing) but OK.

Weighed myself before and after, 11st ~ 2lbs before 11st after! crap scales perhaps. Haven't been this light since I was 18.

Recovery run tomorrow.

Notes:
    Usual breakfast:bowl porridge, 2xtoast, but added a cup coffee. Pint water. No issues.
    Fuel: 2x250ml water & 2x hi 5 gels. Need 3 for these runs.

...this time the 60mile weeks and lots of big LSR's with PMP will at least make me sustain the 7:13 pace...
    Looks like someone's PMP has taken a well-deserved plunge. Great running today misty!

Looks like someone's PMP has taken a well-deserved plunge. Great running today misty!

ha ha I know, I'm afraid to even think it let alone post it. You know what it is. Your run today was great too Krusty, esp the mental battle you got through. Very satisfying. The comments about you ticking every box are 100% correct.

I know just how you feel. You don't really want to verbalize the target, as that'll build up some level of expectation. But as long as you're thinking it...

I was listening to a sports psychologist on Newstalk last week. He asked a GAA football team two questions:
    1) What would you like to achieve next year?
    2) What do you realistically think you will achieve next year?
    The two answers were wildly different. He said that most people will usually achieve what they expect, rather than what they want. Winning teams want more, and expect more. A bit of a cliche, but you get the point.. :)

Week 11 down (7 to go)
    (15th Feb - 21st Feb)
    • Monday: Rest
    • Tuesday: Tergat big workout. 14m total. 4x2m HMP miles: 6:25, 6:28, 6:26, 6:34, 6:28, 6:33, 6:26, 6:29. 6x strides @ 5km.
    • Wednesday: 5m recovery
    • Thursday: 10m @ 7:24m/m
    • Friday: 6m easy on grass
    • Saturday: 20m with some hills and last 7@PMP on the flat
    • Sunday: 5.1m recovery on grass

Total for week: 60.1m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Week 11 down (7 to go)
    (15th Feb - 21st Feb)
    • Tuesday: Tergat big workout. 14m total. 4x2m HMP miles: 6:25, 6:28, 6:26, 6:34, 6:28, 6:33, 6:26, 6:29. 6x strides @ 5km.
    • Wednesday: 5m recovery
    • Thursday: 10m @ 7:24m/m
    • Friday: 6m easy on grass
    • Saturday: 20m with some hills and last 7@PMP on the flat
    • Sunday: 5.1m recovery on grass

Total for week: 60.1m
    Savage weeks running there, hows the body holding up?

shels4ever wrote: »
    Savage weeks running there, hows the body holding up?

Cheers Shels. Body isn't too bad considering...hope it stays that way. I was a lot more wrecked/tired/sore for DCM training. The slower and recovery miles are the key for me.

Back to consistancy for yourself. Going well. Are you still doing Belfast? I'm gonna go up to watch that one I'd say so if you need someone to mind gels or water, let me know.

22nd Feb
    Rest day. Hungover from a few pints anyway.

23rd Feb
    6.4m easy.
    Very stressful day in work today. I just couldn't face a big run tonight, which was the plan. First day in a while that I mentally wasn't up for a run at all. I think I'll have an easier week*, followed by 3 hard ones and then 3 week taper.

*thats how I feel now but will see

• Advertisement

24th Feb
    10m @ 7:01m/m and 1.5m cool down. Very happy I got that done, another stressful day. Makes it a lot harder to get out for tough sessions.

Link to run.

25th Feb
    Back in the swing of things (mentally) today. Enjoyed 7.5m easy with a mate.

26th Feb
    6.5m easy @ 7:55m/m. Ate a ridiculous amount of rubbish food last night.

Waiting for the breakfast to settle before going out for a big one soon. Tic toc tic toc tic toc......bored.

27th Feb
    20m @ 7:34m/m with some hills.

Didn't think I'd have the heart for PMP miles today but I decided to see how it went. First mile, legs asleep but after that the sun came out and I was really enjoying the run. Decided to enjoy it, hit 20 and skip PMP. Felt strong over the hill bit. Last 3m were . Overall average of 7:34 was only 2second slower than the same 20m last week but last week was with 7 @ 6:50m/m. Hmmm not sure which was harder but I'm thinking that I'm albe to hit those 6:50 PMP because I was getting to mile 13 fresh....too fresh? More pace stuff to think about :mad:

Week 12 down (6 to go)
    (22th Feb - 28st Feb)
    • Tuesday: 6.4m easy
    • Wednesday: 10m tempo @ 7:01m/m (1.5m cool down)
    • Thursday: 7.5m easy
    • Friday: 6.5m easy
    • Saturday: 20m with some hills at 7:34m/m
    • Sunday: Nothing, hungover.

Total for week: 51.9m

Thats a slight drop in weekly mileage and overall slower. 3 hard weeks ahead and 3 week taper. Next marathon training will be a 12 week program thats for sure.

Some decent running in that long run misty. How are the legs feeling. Do you reckon your goal is on at this stage?

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Some decent running in that long run misty. How are the legs feeling. Do you reckon your goal is on at this stage?

Thanks dude. Legs are grand but body is wrecked with a hangover...still! My goal...well I posted a 3:10 goal a few pages back and I'm on for that....I think.

Something bugging me this week. Here it is. Last weekend I ran 20m with 7PMP at 6:50m/m. I thought about this and said to my OH what my aggresive goal for Rotterdam was. Can't even type it here :o This sounds dumb but I had a terrible nights sleep last Saturday, thinking about paces and this and that. Weird I know. It put me off running this week. How messed up is that. So my goal is to run controlled at the start, maybe miles 0-16 at no more than 3:05 pace try to hold that but if I can, increase the pace. I've never run a controlled (well paced) marathon before. This time I will.

You might think 'weirdo' reading that or most likely 'who cares' but good to get it off my chest.

Thanks dude. Legs are grand but body is wrecked with a hangover...still! My goal...well I posted a 3:10 goal a few pages back and I'm on for that....I think.

Something bugging me this week. Here it is. Last weekend I ran 20m with 7PMP at 6:50m/m. I thought about this and said to my OH what my aggresive goal for Rotterdam was. Can't even type it here :o This sounds dumb but I had a terrible nights sleep last Saturday, thinking about paces and this and that. Weird I know. It put me off running this week. How messed up is that. So my goal is to run controlled at the start, maybe miles 0-16 at no more than 3:05 pace try to hold that but if I can, increase the pace. I've never run a controlled (well paced) marathon before. This time I will.

You might think 'weirdo' reading that or most likely 'who cares' but good to get it off my chest.
    3.10:)
    Im on for 3.15 and your about 10-15% ahead of me atm.
    I take it the answer is yes for the real goal but take it easy and maybe negitive split:D
    Good luck.

My waffle above was a bunch of jibber jabber really. Oisin, your in good shape, I know that much. 3:15 is no bother to ya. Well I shouldn't say no bother but you look good for it anyway.

1st March
    5m recovery pace on grass. Great evening for running.

2nd March
    Big Tergat session. 4x2m at HMP (bit faster), 6x100m strides and warm up/cool down miles (14m total). Some of the miles here.

Quick miles: 6:20/6:23/6:20/6:22/6:16/6:15/6:09/6:19(held up here) Met a neighbour (v fast) and he ran with me for the second set of intervals. So much easier with someone. I really enjoyed tonights run and felt very good. A real confidence boost there.

Ireland are looking good against Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Some great running there, your flying. I've been keeping up with your log since you started it - very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Another very strong session Misty, can see improvement compared to last few times, will stand to you

• Advertisement

3rd March
    6.5m recovery

4th March
    7.8m @ 7:40m/m on grass

5th March
    Core session. 5.3m v slow with my GF

It would be great if this weather keeps up. Great conditions.

6th March
    22m with last 10m at PMP.
    PMP miles: 6:54/6:53/6:41/6:47/6:48/6:51/6:50/6:43/6:55/6:49
    Got to 12m with an ave pace of 7:42m/m.
    Overall ave was 7:18m/m

That was very tough. Very happy with it and that its over.

2xgels, 750mls water, usual breakfast.

Nice misty. Taper and a bit of luck with the weather and your there.

There? where? :) Cheers dude. Don't mention the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looking good. That's closer to 3:00 pace you did today!

Week 13 down (5 to go)
    (1st Mar - 7th Mar)
    • Monday: 5m easy on grass.
    • Tuesday: Tergat big workout 14m total inc 4x2m HMP: 6:20/6:23/6:20/6:22/6:16/6:15/6:09/6:19(held up here)
    • Wednesday: 6.5m recovery. Some dumbell stuff.
    • Thursday: 8m @ 7:30m/m
    • Friday: 5.3m v easy. Core.
    • Saturday: 22m with last 10m @ 6:50m/m (7:18m/m total ave)
    • Sunday: 7.2m easy.

Total for week: 68m

I appreciate the comments above folks, thanks. Going well yourselves lads. Good to see your back to business Peckham.

8th March
    Rest

9th March
    Down in the club tonight for 10x900m on the track with 1.5min jog in between. Great session.
    Times: 3:16/3:09/3:08/3:08/3:07/3:11/3:09/3:05/3:05/3:12.
    Total miles (inc warm up/down): ~11.8m

I could feel the 22m from the weekend in the legs but overall not too bad. Probably not the best idea to do this session before the 10m race on Sunday. Still, it wasn't a super hero session.

10th March
    Was knackered in work today. Nice nap when I got home and out for 7m at recovery. Really really enjoyed tonights run. Quads are a bit sore, haven't felt that in a while because my legs were not used to running at a ~5:24m/m pace last night.

6x12 pressups, biceps and shoulders.

Awesome running Misty, particularly to 22 miler. How did you find the last 10 miles effort-wise? Hard-slog or the high side of comfortable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Great training misty. Great LSR's, all those 'Big Tergat Workouts', good to see plenty of nice slow paced recovery runs in there too....you need to do that to be able to tolerate the weekly mileage jump you've made since december.....a great marathon awaits you I think. Take it easy in Rotterdam for the first 2-3 miles and then trust in your training, sub 3 pace is justified on the quality training you have done. Huge improvement in a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement