Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything in its right PACE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

or try:

I really like this race. Its really well organised and everyone knows about it yet its not ruined by numbers.

Going into this: training has been solid. Lots of miles, several weeks of shorter speed stuff up unitl xmas and lots of HMP & MP miles on the build up to Rotterdam. 35miles this week going into this race and weeks of 57/60/60m. A lot for me but legs didn't feel tired...in fact I'm convinced the extra mileage in training (with a lower pace) has helped. So I'd no idea how I'd go today but I knew a PB would be in the bag (33:40 adidas 5m 09 & 37:?? raheny 09:))

Got stuck at the start behind lots of people that should not have been in the top third. Didn't stress over this, it always happens and sure its a good thing to run a slightly slower mile at the start. HIt my Garmin when I crossed the line.

1st mile : 6:05. Happy with that.
    2nd mile: 5:54 I was now thinking hmm, I'm close to that 6m/m mark (sub 3?? nah)
    3rd mile: 5:51 Half way through this mile, I was hurting a lot. I remember how I felt at half way of my 10km PB, just wanting to stop but with energy to carry on. Thats good I thought.
    4th mile: 5:52 Downhill sections, I'll take that.
    5th mile: 6:01

I turned that final corner and glanced at the watch: 29:38 (or there abouts). Head down, christ I was dying. Punched the watch at the line and it read 30:00. EDIT: Chip time 29:59 Results from Raheny site says 30:12 :confused: Clock must have started when the gun went, I don't know. Anyway, doesn't matter. Solid training, not over doing it = solid race. Everything in its right pace. I'm feckin delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

sweet mile splits there Misty...well done!

Week 8 down (10 to go)
    • Monday: Rest.
    • Tuesday: 2m warm up/4x2m @ HMP with 2-3 min jog between/6x100m @ 5km pace, jog 100m/2 mile cool down.

4x2m splits: (6'23/6'28) (6'18/6'39) (6'27/6'47) (6'30/6'45) Tough session that one.
    • Wednesday: 6.2m recovery
    • Thursday: 10m easy
    • Friday: 6m easyish @ 7:53m/m
    • Saturday: Was gonna run 6 slow but I thought a rest would be better than junk miles with negative thoughts of tiredness going into Raheny. Core workout. Took time with this and made sure form was good....made a difference. I love that pain feeling the next day.....I've done things correctly?
    • Sunday: Raheny 5m race 30:12 very strong solid run. Could not have tried much harder than that. Happy man. 1m warm up 2m cool down.

Total for week: 44.2m....an easy week ;)

Ps: best goodie bag ever today.

tisnotover wrote: »
    sweet mile splits there Misty...well done!

Thanks tisnotover, didn't you do dungarvan or ??? 10m today? Must check your log. If you haven't posted in it, how'd it go? Ignore if you have, I'll go check.
    Edit: ignore this post,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thats a savage time misty, and an absolute huge chunk off the pb. just goes to show that with this running thing you get back what you put in. i ve been getting tired even reading your training lately so fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi misty,

Have a look at TDS-live - I think your chip time might be sub-30.:) Great pacing too - I started a bit too quick and did mile 5 around 6:18. Lesson learned....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Misty,even if you are just outside the 30 mins,its a good thing...you will take 30s of it next time round.

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi misty,

Have a look at TDS-live - I think your chip time might be sub-30.:) Great pacing too - I started a bit too quick and did mile 5 around 6:18. Lesson learned....

woooo hooooo hooooo!!!!! just checked, thanks aero. 29:59 :D

Thanks Sosa. You ran an excellent race yesterday. Sub 60 next time for sure.

Feb 1st
    7.5m recovery @ 8:20m/m I enjoy running the day after a race for some reason. Felt easy, even though legs were sore today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

29:59 :D

NICE ONE!

• Advertisement

woooo hooooo hooooo!!!!! just checked, thanks aero. 29:59 :D

brilliant going!! that gives you a target of low 62's for 10miles, I won't mention what the equivalent marathon time is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

I really like this race. Its really well organised and everyone knows about it yet its not ruined by numbers.

Going into this: training has been solid. Lots of miles, several weeks of shorter speed stuff up unitl xmas and lots of HMP & MP miles on the build up to Rotterdam. 35miles this week going into this race and weeks of 57/60/60m. A lot for me but legs didn't feel tired...in fact I'm convinced the extra mileage in training (with a lower pace) has helped. So I'd no idea how I'd go today but I knew a PB would be in the bag (33:40 adidas 5m 09 & 37:?? raheny 09:))

Got stuck at the start behind lots of people that should not have been in the top third. Didn't stress over this, it always happens and sure its a good thing to run a slightly slower mile at the start. HIt my Garmin when I crossed the line.

1st mile : 6:05. Happy with that.
    2nd mile: 5:54 I was now thinking hmm, I'm close to that 6m/m mark (sub 3?? nah)
    3rd mile: 5:51 Half way through this mile, I was hurting a lot. I remember how I felt at half way of my 10km PB, just wanting to stop but with energy to carry on. Thats good I thought.
    4th mile: 5:52 Downhill sections, I'll take that.
    5th mile: 6:01

I turned that final corner and glanced at the watch: 29:38 (or there abouts). Head down, christ I was dying. Punched the watch at the line and it read 30:00. EDIT: Chip time 29:59 Results from Raheny site says 30:12 :confused: Clock must have started when the gun went, I don't know. Anyway, doesn't matter. Solid training, not over doing it = solid race. Everything in its right pace. I'm feckin delighted :D

Holding that sort of pace over 5m is tough goin. Hats off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Great racing, and fantastic to smash your PB. Push on from here - what's the next target?

brilliant going!! that gives you a target of low 62's for 10miles, I won't mention what the equivalent marathon time is ;)

shhhh none of that talk. Feet firmly on the ground ;)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Great racing, and fantastic to smash your PB. Push on from here - what's the next target?

Cheers Peckham. Well the Craughwell 10 miler on 14th March but Rotterdam is my real focus. McMillan has me just making sub 63. I'd be chuffed with 64:??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Supper running, you've really had a solid last 12 months, great reward.

Tues 2nd Feb
    12.2miles with a club session. I added 3 miles at the start of this one. After that I thought I'd play it by ear as I just wasn't up for anything hard. Then 2 mile warm up and the speed session. 6 x 1200m with 400m jog in between. I tagged at the back and took it easy running at a constant 6:30 m/m. Really enjoyed this session as it didn't hurt that much and I could watch the others bust their guts. Pint of Guinness for desert. Lovely.

3rd Feb

0.4m :o Planned 6 miler. Got down to the end of the road and turned back. My legs were giving out to me and running tonight would be destructive. Wrecked from the last few days so its a needed rest today.

EDIT: After posting the above: slept on the couch for an hour. Watched the Leeds match then a core workout & Dumbell session (shoulders, biceps, triceps, pressups, upperback)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great run at the weekend MF, i expect there's a bit more to come.

4th Feb
    11 miles easy with a buddy. Was ok. Days rest made a big difference.

5th Feb

Spent the day contemplating doing a 5 miler or a 20miler after work. Reason being I'm going on the lash tomorrow for the match at 3. Decided to do the 20 after work.

Went out with water and gels and I knew it wouldn't happen after the first mile. Mentally I just wasn't into it and I got a nasty pain in my side.....excuses. I think I need to plan mentally for at least a day in advance for the long ones. Being hap hazard about them just doesn't work.

6m @ 8m/m horrible run even though it was a smashing day.
    If my legs could type they'd say do a 10 miler tomorrow, enjoy the beer and rest up Sunday. But they can't so I'm doing 20 slow tomorrow and will enjoy the beers all the more.....I hope.

• Advertisement

6th Feb
    19m @ 8:05
    I knew there wouldn't be any PMP today. Well it wasn't really tough but it was tougher than the 20m with PMP and other long runs I've done recently. Got thinking during the run...as you do. I felt that way (and the way I do right now) during/after most of my LSR's for DCM. I lost a lot of weight during DCM training (on purpose) and I've lost a couple of pounds this week. I'm putting it down to that and the race last weekend. I also ran faster or harder training for DCM. So its a mix of both I think.

Anyway, no fear of lack of calories today. First of many Guinness at 2.30

If anyone is reading, Enjoy your weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Whats your pmp misty. Are you going for 3.15 or lower. I am very interested to know. I reckon i am on the same progression as yourself but a few months behind.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Whats your pmp misty. Are you going for 3.15 or lower. I am very interested to know. I reckon i am on the same progression as yourself but a few months behind.

3:10 so thats a PMP of 7:16.

Week 9 down (9 to go)
    • Monday: 7.5m recovery
    • Tuesday: 12.2m with 6x1200m @ 6:30.
    • Wednesday: False start, cancelled a run..wrecked. Core & Dumbell workout.
    • Thursday: 11m easy
    • Friday: 6.2m easy @ 8:00m/m
    • Saturday: 19m @ 8:05m/m
    • Sunday: 0. Hungover.

Total for week: 56.3m

Note: Need an easy week after races. That Tues session wasn't the best idea. I'm not going to race Craughwell...maybe HMP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great training misty keep it up.

Week 10 begins.
    8th Feb
    6.1 miles easy. Ready for a big session tomorrow. Plan for the week:

Mon: 6m easy
    Tues: 4x2@HMP (~14m total)
    Wed: 6m recovery
    Thurs: 9m easy
    Friday: Rest
    Sat: 22m with 6 @ PMP
    Sunday: 5m recovery

just an easy week so Misty ;)

Only messing, looks like a well structured week ahead.your in flying form, keep it up.

just an easy week so Misty ;)

Only messing, looks like a well structured week ahead.your in flying form, keep it up.

Sure its only 2 hard sessions and half of those will be easy. Positive thinking ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very solid training Misty Floyd. Keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭aero2k

Week 9 down (9 to go)
    • Monday: 7.5m recovery
    • Tuesday: 12.2m with 6x1200m @ 6:30.
    • Wednesday: False start, cancelled a run..wrecked. Core & Dumbell workout.
    • Thursday: 11m easy
    • Friday: 6.2m easy @ 8:00m/m
    • Saturday: 19m @ 8:05m/m
    • Sunday: 0. Hungover.
    Total for week: 56.3m

Note: Need an easy week after races. That Tues session wasn't the best idea. I'm not going to race Craughwell...maybe HMP.
    Hi Misty,

I had a look at my program and assumed I had put in an easy week after Raheny - turns out it's not until after the Cupid's dash (had actually planned to travel West for a different 10k, but thanks to boards, I found out about the one on my doorstep). Like you, I do an interval session on Tues and a long run on Sat, with similar overall mileage. The week after Raheny I deferred the Tues session until Fri (one day recovery per mile raced as per Tergat) and did about 13 relatively easy miles on Sat. Not ideal, but not a bad week.

Looks like you're putting in some solid work. Isn't Craughwell on March 14th? Why not race it?

Advertisement