Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything in its right PACE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Misty floyd - Firstly great 10 miler time recently. You finished strong which is a good signm that 10 at PMP at the end of long run wasn't bad either!

Sub 3 is within reach. I'm with Krusty, even pace all the way well 06:45-06:50/ mile would be a solid target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Abhainn wrote: »
    Sub 3 is within reach. I'm with Krusty, even pace all the way well 06:45-06:50/ mile would be a solid target
    +1^
    Apart from the first 2-3 miles, I'd go for an even pace (or at least even effort). Trying to speed up over the last 5 or 6 miles is a big ask.

You're nearly there now, all the hard work is done. Don't forget to enjoy it on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thanks Lads. I find it very encouraging getting comments like that....even if I do go fishing for them (by posting above file).... :D

23rd March
    6.2m easy with 5x100m strides @ 5:50 or so. Overall pace must of been about 8:00m/m.
    Hats off to anyone that can run first thing in the morning esp with any kind of pace involved. I couldn't sleep this morning. I just wake and thats me done. Great morning for it, ran down the canal at hazelhatch. Just me and the birds.

24th March
    4/3/2/1m with 2min jog in between. Warm up/cool down 13m Total.
    Plan was to hold at 6:50m/m (4:15m/km). Another great day for running.

4m average pace: 6:37m/m.
    3m average pace: 6:40m/m
    2m average pace: 6:44m/m
    1m average pace: 6:40m/m

I was running with a mate from the club. Things went slightly faster than planned. I knew it but didn't do anything about it. I was guessing the pace for each km and was getting it right +/- about 3 seconds. Tonights run felt alright actually. Felt easier in the later miles once we got used to it. I did say at one stage "26miles of this!!??" but things are always harder in training. Happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

24th March
    4/3/2/1m with 2min jog in between. Warm up/cool down 13m Total.
    Plan was to hold at 6:50m/m (4:15m/km). Another great day for running.

I was running with a mate from the club. Things went slightly faster than planned. I knew it but didn't do anything about it. I was guessing the pace for each km and was getting it right +/- about 3 seconds. Tonights run felt alright actually. Felt easier in the later miles once we got used to it. I did say at one stage "26miles of this!!??" but things are always harder in training. Happy.

Thats a good session Misty, especially off 2mins recovery.
    Re your pacing for the marathon, I would defo concur with the lads and say keep it as even as you can.

25th March
    5 easy

26th March
    Rest. Dumbell (light weights) & Core workout.

27th March
    Plan was 15m today. I went out too soon after eating and had to stop to get up wind every 2/3 minutes. Horrible. So I called it quits and I'm going to do the LSR tomorrow. At least I learned not to eat until at least 2hrs beforehand.
    11.7km (7.3m) @ 4:59m/Km (8:00m/m easy).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

I went out too soon after eating and had to stop to get up wind every 2/3 minutes. Horrible. So I called it quits and I'm going to do the LSR tomorrow.

So you are human after all :) !! Best of luck tomorrow with the LSR.

How are you finding the taper - going mad yet ?

Salty Dog wrote: »
    So you are human after all :) !! Best of luck tomorrow with the LSR.

How are you finding the taper - going mad yet ?

ha ha thanks Salty Dog, yeah doubts set in now and then. Today I was thinking what the hell am I doing but I know its just a load of crap. Its amazing how much the mind plays tricks with how you feel physically.

What are you training towards SD?

Today I was thinking what the hell am I doing but I know its just a load of crap. Its amazing how much the mind plays tricks with how you feel physically.

You'll be grand. The hard work has been done. Just keep it ticking over till race day and then it's 1 foot in front of the other for a nice PB
    What are you training towards SD?

Nothing at the moment. Out injured for almost 2 months now so the only thing I doing is piling on the weight :( Hopefull just another month or so and then I might get back - I'll settle for Dublin at this rate.

28 March
    15.1m LSR with last 5m (8.2km) at PMP. Section of hills in there too.
    MP km's: 4:17/4:18/4:17/4:15/4:11/4:13/4:08/4:11
    Overall pace 7:24m/m (4:36 m/km).

Happy with that as I kept close enough to PMP (4:16) pace with 3 dead stops for water & traffic. PMP felt ok..ish. Not easy but not too hard.

Popped out to Dunboyne for the 4m, which was great. Looked like a great race to be part of. Sneaky coffee and cakes afterwards and a really good trad band. Nice job Dunboyne AC.

• Advertisement

Week 16 down (2 to go)
    (22nd Mar - 28th Mar)
    • Monday: Rest
    • Tuesday: 6.2m easy with 5xstrides (8:00)
    • Wednesday: 4/3/2/1m with 2min jog in between. Warm up/cool down 13m Total.
    • Thursday: 5m easy.
    • Friday: Rest. Core & Dumbell workout.
    • Saturday: 7.3m @ 8:00m/m
    • Sunday: 15.1m LSR with last 5m (8.2km) at PMP. 7:24m/m (4:36 m/km).

Total for week: 46.6m

Happy enough with that week can't say I'm feeling rested but next week drops things down more and the last week is dead easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Week 16 down (2 to go)
    (22nd Mar - 28th Mar)
    • Tuesday: 6.2m easy with 5xstrides (8:00)
    • Wednesday: 4/3/2/1m with 2min jog in between. Warm up/cool down 13m Total.
    • Thursday: 5m easy.
    • Friday: Rest. Core & Dumbell workout.
    • Saturday: 7.3m @ 8:00m/m
    • Sunday: 15.1m LSR with last 5m (8.2km) at PMP. 7:24m/m (4:36 m/km).
    Total for week: 46.6m

Happy enough with that week can't say I'm feeling rested but next week drops things down more and the last week is dead easy.
    `

good stuff misty. all the hard work done. just been flicking through the log. looking very strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah take it handy now mistx all the hard work is done bud:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great going Misty. I generally don't fell rested until a day or two before the race, at which point the nerves take over instead!

Cheers lads.
    I generally don't fell rested until a day or two before the race,

Reasuring, thanks Krusty.

29th March
    Rest

30th March
    5m easy

31st March
    5x1m @ HMP with 2m warm up/down (10.2m total)
    HMP miles: 6:10/6:18/6:20/6:19/6:16
    Nice session this and the timing is good too. I've been doing 4x2m at this pace so todays felt real easy, finishing very comfortably.

I don't want to harp on about injuries but things on my left side (ankle, arch of foot, hip and ass cheek) aren't right. Like a car when the tracking is off, I can drive at whatever speed but something aint right.This ain't taper madness ;) I might get it checked.

On a good note thats the last hard session and it didn't even feel that hard. Happy.

On a good note thats the last hard session and it didn't even feel that hard. Happy.

Sounds like an athlete in tip top shape just waiting for the start buzzer

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Sounds like an athlete in tip top shape just waiting for the start buzzer

Family Fortunes wrong answer buzzer I]eghhh eRRR[/I

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

5x1m @ HMP with 2m warm up/down (10.2m total)
    Nice session this and the timing is good too. I've been doing 4x2m at this pace so todays felt real easy, finishing very comfortably.

Nice workout Misty, ure tapering well !, hope those niggles with your tracking as ya call it clear up.

Sometimes its better maybe to have those niggles before a race than to not have them, ok, maybe that doesn't make sense!

• Advertisement

tisnotover wrote: »
    Nice workout Misty, ure tapering well !, hope those niggles with your tracking as ya call it clear up.

Thanks man. Strange thing is I went out today and didn't feel a thing, not even when walking today. Again, I'm not imagining things but like I said it doesn't effect my running that much so I'm not too concerned. If ya read this before your race, good luck in the 10km.

1st April
    5.9m with a buddy. Slow, mostly on grass. Good craic.

Week 17 down (1 to go)
    (29th Mar - 4th April)
    • Tuesday: 5m easy
    • Wednesday: 5x1m @ HMP with 2m warm up/down (10.2m total)
    • Thursday: 5.9m easy.
    • Friday: Rest.
    • Saturday: 6.2m @ 7:37m/m (included 5xstrides)
    • Sunday: 13.1m easy in 1:43:12 @7:52m/m. Take 1.5mins off that and a year ago that was my PB :eek: Todays effort was really really easy. Legs are coming back to life after a long spell of hard work.

Total for week: 40.4m

Very handy week next week....apart from the marathon obviously.

Notes: Do not eat a banana before the race. Heartburn.

Only thing left to do now is run the race.
    I feel your pain with the heartburn issue. I cant eat before running at all. I get savage heartburn.

5th April
    Rest.

6th April
    2m warm up / 2x1m @ 10km / 2min jog between / 2m cool down
    Splits: 5:54 / 6:00
    Total 6.1m

Finding it hard to think about anything other than the race. Just aswell things are busy in work. Some Forecasts suggests 20 degrees for Sunday in Rotterdam. Will have to adjust plan if that happens but I'm ok with that. Thats not to say I'm afraid of the sub 3 or give me an excuse and I won't go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

5th April
    Rest.

6th April
    2m warm up / 2x1m @ 10km / 2min jog between / 2m cool down
    Splits: 5:54 / 6:00
    Total 6.1m

Finding it hard to think about anything other than the race. Just aswell things are busy in work. Some Forecasts suggests 20 degrees for Sunday in Rotterdam. Will have to adjust plan if that happens but I'm ok with that. Thats not to say I'm afraid of the sub 3 or give me an excuse and I won't go for it.

Best of luck the w/e Misty...i look forward to your report.

Sosa wrote: »
    Best of luck the w/e Misty...i look forward to your report.

+1

Looking forward to the PB report from the race on Sunday. Keep the head strong and believe in all the hard work you've put in. Good luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck misty! youve ticked all the boxes - enjoy the race now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Best of luck Misty, enjoy it, looking forward to the report !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Misty,

I almost missed the chance to wish you good luck in good time before your departure - for some reason I thought this race was on the 17th! Sounds like you've all the hard work done, and it's just about being nice and relaxed and enjoying the day. Don't worry too much about the niggles - for me anyway they seem to be an integral part of the week(s) leading up to a big race, and everything is fine once the start siren goes off.
    Warm weather shouldn't be a biggie either if you keep well hydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

misty you know yourself you ve come on a bundle since dub, you ve done some savage training. enjoy it more than anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am excited for you misty. You've really put in the work, and if you keep your head it's all going pay huge dividends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Best of luck Misty, as they say, all the hardwork is done, you'll go sub 3 comfortably

Jasus, thanks very much everyone. I really appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

best of luck sunday. drink plenty during and after...uisce during, uisce beatha after. you've really quality structured training done, looking forward to the race report. you'll do great.

7th April
    3m easy

Massage tonight. I cannot stand the part where the IT band gets rubbed...it just feels wrong....and the groin, and the back of the knee, and everywhere really. Glad thats over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Sunday: 13.1m easy in 1:43:12 @7:52m/m. Take 1.5mins off that and a year ago that was my PB :eek: Todays effort was really really easy. .

If the above doesn't leave you full of confidence nothing ever will.
    That's brilliant progression in a year. Best of luck at the weekend. Run your own race and you'll nail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Regardless of how the marathon goes, the training has been an outstanding piece of work and is already a huge achievement. The marathon is just the icing on the cake. Enjoy yourself throughout the race. Keep smiling... Run comfortably and the rest will happen naturally. Go get it..

Thanks Lads.

Krusty, I remember your post on the first page of this log:
    Something positively wrong here:
    Pearl Izumi 10km: 39’10 (I’m still buzzing about that one)
    Adidas half marathon (Sept 09): 1’29’01
    DCM Oct 09: 3’25’16

Either you're built for 10ks and 1/2s, or you owe that marathon a beating.
    Good luck with the new log and Rotterdam.

I really owe that a beating but at the back of the mind (just a little) is that I may not be cut out for marathons. I've yet to run a controlled one :o Sub 3 target on Sunday. If I blow up, I'm not cut out for marathons, if I sub 3:05, I'll be back for more this Autumn. By the way, I think I'll do well on Sunday. Don't mean to sound cocky.

Don't you just love this game. Best hobby ever. :D

Good luck the weekend misty:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Best of luck MF, as Krusty says - your training has been brilliant. looking forward to the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Misty the e mail updates of your training sometimes made my jaw drop as a complete newbie to running.

Best of luck and i look forward to a nice long run down of the day !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good luck Misty, I'll be probably hanging around the Irish bar after the race, if ur not there we might meet you in the night club later ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes Misty.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭gilmore

Best of luck Misty, although i wouldn't be as talented or dedicated as yourself i've learnt a lot from your log.
    Sub 3 all the way:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Misty. Hope you achieve your goal, you deserve it given all your hard work. Gis a text and let us know how you got on if you've still got my numero - I'll be finishing Conn hours after you be nice to receive good news when I cross the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've been reading this log for a few months now and it really is an inspiration. Thanks for putting up the excell of your training program too. When I run a marathon again I plan on basing my schedle around what you did because it definaetly seems to be the right way to approach the distance (hope you don't mind). The Hal Higdon Novice 1 programme just doesn't seem to stack up by comaprison :o

Best of luck at the weekend I'd say your a shoe in for a sub 3.

Thanks everyone, you've no idea how much all of those comments mean. I sound like a sentimental twat here but I really appreciate that and all of the postive comments across this training log.
    Misty the e mail updates of your training sometimes made my jaw drop as a complete newbie to running.

Best of luck and i look forward to a nice long run down of the day !!!

You should check some of the other logs around here. Makes me feel very slow but I'll get there and no reason why you won't either.
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    Good luck Misty, I'll be probably hanging around the Irish bar after the race, if ur not there we might meet you in the night club later ;)

Good stuff heff, I should be there alright. Look forward to swapping war stories.
    gilmore wrote: »
    Best of luck Misty, although i wouldn't be as talented or dedicated as yourself i've learnt a lot from your log.
    Sub 3 all the way:)

Nice one gilmore. Good to know people are getting something from it. Thats the beauty of the logs (my favourite part of A/R/T), you get so much from so many peoples logs, no matter what level they are at.
    Best of luck Misty. Hope you achieve your goal, you deserve it given all your hard work. Gis a text and let us know how you got on if you've still got my numero - I'll be finishing Conn hours after you be nice to receive good news when I cross the line.

Ah yeah I still have it alright, I will. The very best of luck to yourself RQ. No bother to ya. You don't need any encouragment from me. Made of tough stuff!....like Leeds.....before xmas ;)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I've been reading this log for a few months now and it really is an inspiration. Thanks for putting up the excell of your training program too. When I run a marathon again I plan on basing my schedle around what you did because it definaetly seems to be the right way to approach the distance (hope you don't mind). The Hal Higdon Novice 1 programme just doesn't seem to stack up by comaprison :o

Best of luck at the weekend I'd say your a shoe in for a sub 3.

Wow thanks Menoscemo. That pleases me to no end. Really glad you got something from the log, lets hope things work out. I must say though, I nicked most of the plan from Tergat and just plugged away on a weekly basis. I just found it great to have a simple plan, add a few miles per week, hit some PMP, easy running between two big workouts. I used to think HH was great but not for me now. Good for first time marathoner I think.

8th April
    5m very slow with a buddy. Added 4 strides. What a great day.

Very happy to be off work. Its been nuts in there over these last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I just found it great to have a simple plan, add a few miles per week, hit some PMP, easy running between two big workouts. I used to think HH was great but not for me now. Good for first time marathoner I think.

+1 on the program Misty...same train of thought as myself.

Best of Luck Sunday,you have trained hard,let your feet do the talking Sunday...and as the d'unbelievables would say "go out there,and enjoy yourself"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

You've done all the hard work so you hardly need good wishes but ... best of luck in Rotterdam!
    Whatever happens with the sub 3 attempt (just give it socks) you are now seen as one of the serious / senior runners around these parts.
    You know that you've a sub 3 in you, just get out and prove it to yourself.
    Lots and lots of hard work and mileage has brought you here, you just got to do another 26.2 now :p
    Good luck and we're all looking forward to reading a great report.

• Advertisement

DustyBin wrote: »
    You've done all the hard work so you hardly need good wishes but ... best of luck in Rotterdam!
    Whatever happens with the sub 3 attempt (just give it socks) you are now seen as one of the serious / senior runners around these parts.
    You know that you've a sub 3 in you, just get out and prove it to yourself.
    Lots and lots of hard work and mileage has brought you here, you just got to do another 26.2 now :p
    Good luck and we're all looking forward to reading a great report.

Thanks very much DustyBin. Not sure about the senior runners comment ;) but cheers.

Advertisement