Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sea of Santas March!!!

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

On behalf of Mr Ray Kelly / Unmarried and Seperated Families of Ireland:

When: Sunday 20th of December 2009 @ 12:30

Where: Meeting at Dolphin House Dublin Family Law Court, East Essex St, Dublin 2, and parading to O'Connell Bridge.

Why: To campaign for fathers who will not get to see their children this Christmas because of family breakdown.

To commemorate those 6 of our members who have taken their own lives because the family law system in Ireland has failed them, both
    at Christmas time and throughout the year, by allowing hearsay evidence in court to ensure children do not get to see their real hero this
    Christmas, their father.

How: each member will dress up as Santa Claus and will peacefully march with banners such as ‘Put the Father back into Father Christmas’.

Based on previous years an equal amount of men, women and children come out to support this event. When the march ends at O'Connell Bridge we will have a one minute silence as we drop 6 Christmas Wreaths into
    the River Liffey to commemorate our 6 fallen fathers who simply could not go through another Christmas without their children.

Help: we as a national organisation are calling on all of the national and local media to cover this event and assist us to highlight the trauma broken families go through at Christmastime, and to send a message across the country:

Let's make this Christmas about the children and give them the right to spend their most exciting part of the year with both parents even if it has to be separately.

Project Co-ordinator:

Mr. Ray Kelly

T: 0868879444

E: ray@usfi.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Best of luck at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi... It really madden's me when i think how father's have less right's to their children than a mother does! Does anyone know possibly ray, is it in the constituation that a mother is automatically their child's sole guardian? It seems to go back to when the church ruled the country if you are not married and have a child then a father has no right's? Best of luck with your march op...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Best of luck.
    De Valera's constitution has made us the laughing stock of Europe and destroyed this country in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

lalalulu wrote: »
    Hi... It really madden's me when i think how father's have less right's to their children than a mother does! Does anyone know possibly ray, is it in the constituation that a mother is automatically their child's sole guardian? It seems to go back to when the church ruled the country if you are not married and have a child then a father has no right's? Best of luck with your march op...

I dont think so here because divorced fathers also struggle with Christmas. Its more a custodial issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I hope it goes really well and you get a great turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

lalalulu wrote: »

In Ye Olden Times, 99% were married when children were born. Ilegitimate children were made legitimate immediately by the fact that their bio mother and their bio mother's husband were married, so these children had 2 legal guardians (whether the bio father wanted to contest ws a different matter).

it was the simples way of maintaining the illusion of perfect family units in the church/state's eyes (which are still two symbiotic insitutions---take the clerical scandals and their lack of consequences...FOR SHAME!!!)

By the way this was all explained to me in an hour long conversation with someone who deals with these cases on a regular basis in the courts.

Best of luck.
    De Valera's constitution has made us the laughing stock of Europe and destroyed this country in so many ways.

We continued UK-devised law long after our state was legally established.

When UK updated family law, we didn't.

It's classic: we pick up all the bad habits and never learn good ones. This country is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hope it goes well for ye, if I'm in Ireland at the time I'll try and get along.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Hope it goes well for ye, if I'm in Ireland at the time I'll try and get along.

Cool please do!

Advertisement