Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/Worst Presents You've Ever Received?

• 01-12-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

So what're the best and worst Christmas/birthday/random presents you've ever got?

I find it hard to beat the United '99 Champions League shirt with "Keane 16" on the back, probably got the most use out of it even though it's was relatively cheap compared to other gifts. An ex of mine once got me a bloody expensive phone when I lost the old one just a week before my birthday, so that was lovely too. :cool:

On the flip side, my old man got me a cheapy remote-controlled car for Christmas when I was 15, it stopped working once it got outside a range of 80-100 metres. :( I used it about twice.

P.S. Birthday/Christmas sex, however awesome, does not count.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I bought my mam a sponge from Tuthills for her birthday once.

Cost me 60p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I'm a guy. By default i get ok presents.

Girls on the other hand suffer a lifetime of dolls, clothes and later on those pointless soap sets.

seriously wtf??? who wants soap for christmas :D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

A professor I used to work for once gave me a video rental gift card that had obviously been sitting in his wallet for ages, since it was scratched up...and had expired the year before.

He gave another student gift certificates to a Brazilian BBQ restaurant. She was a vegetarian.

But by far, the worst "gift" he ever gave us was the day he decided to wear shorts to class. With no socks. And, judging from the clear view of his balls when he put his feet up to tip his chair back, no underwear. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Either:

£5 from two mates (ie. £2.50 each)
    A mini bongo drum (seriously, wtf?!)
    A hug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

brummytom wrote: »
    Either:

£5 from two mates (ie. £2.50 each)
    A mini bongo drum (seriously, wtf?!)
    A hug

The classic "bollocks I forgot, give him something free he'll hopefully find spontaneous and cute" present. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Best - A red bmx with the white star spokes when I was about 7 or 8 - I LOVED that bike! :o

Worst - A crucifix...as if it's not bad enough to give an atheist a crucifix, it was a piece of cheap stained wood with a small plastic baby nailed to it - has to be the ugliest piece of tat I've ever seen. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

brummytom wrote: »
    A hug
    A bearhug? That would be a pretty awesome gift.

Best - A red bmx with the white star spokes when I was about 7 or 8 - I LOVED that bike! :o

Worst - A crucifix...as if it's not bad enough to give an atheist a crucifix, it was a piece of cheap stained wood with a small plastic baby nailed to it - has to be the ugliest piece of tat I've ever seen. :eek:

With that name and those viewpoints I'm forced to ask; are you my long-lost brother? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

With that name and those viewpoints I'm forced to ask; are you my long-lost brother? :eek:

Possibly your long-lost sister? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Best present:
    A PS3

Worst present:
    A donation of 10 euro has been made in your name to Bóthar.

In otherwords, "I ****ing hate you and would rather give this money to starving Africans"

Yes, I am a selfish goit

• Advertisement

A value-pack of cotton Granny panties that 1) were two sizes too big and 2) I was forced to open in front of my entire family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Cigarette plugin hoover for car....Gutted.....Wife didnt understand why I lost the head....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The best? A kick-ass formula 1 scalectrix track that kept me entertained for years.

The worst? For the past 6 years I just get a toiletry bag with shower gel, just gimme the bloody tenner so I can use it for booze or fags.

I just treat myself to some techno gifts; A new laptop for myself this week, a smart phone last year, an MP4 player the year before and a sound system the other year.

Last years shower gel was funny though cuz when I took it out it looked like a pretty well-built vibrator. :eek: We all started to burst our holes laughing not really sure if if everyone got the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Best:

Gameboy Colour,wasn't my main gift but it was all I used.

Worst:

Fecking Halloween signs on sale for €1 in Dunnes:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

best present: Hewlett Packard Laptop from my dad when I was 21

Worst Present: The fact that I never got mr. frosty for christmas...ever..despite the number of times I asked for it.

Those of you that received it and feel like you should tell me it was crap can take their comments elsewhere, I have heard it all before and my response is always that "you're an unappreciative ass who doesn't deserve the fun that mr frosty makes for everyone"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

On the flip side, my old man got me a cheapy remote-controlled car for Christmas when I was 15, it stopped working once it got outside a range of 80-100 metres.

Could you even see it 80-100 metres away?

Possibly your long-lost sister? ;)

Ah. I must incest on less of that winking though, or this'll go down a bad road. :rolleyes: :P

Stee wrote: »
    Could you even see it 80-100 metres away?

Perhaps that was a bit of an over-estimate. There was a car park about the length of a football field where we used to race 'em and mine would always give up about 1/3 - 1/2 way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

There was something like this mentioned in the Indo Lifestyle & Health today. It was a piece on mothers and online communities and they were talking about the worst presents their husbands had given them.

One woman, for her birthday, was given a burial plot. But her husband didn't tell her about it until she got a letter in the post from the cemetery giving her her plot reference number! :pac: His excuse was that the plots were on special and that he thought he was getting a bargain :pac:

Another woman was given four brake-pads....but she didn't own a car...

Windscreen Wipers....

I can't remember the rest but those ones stuck out for me

cloneslad wrote: »
    Worst Present: The fact that I never got mr. frosty for christmas...ever..despite the number of times I asked for it.

Those of you that received it and feel like you should tell me it was crap can take their comments elsewhere, I have heard it all before and my response is always that "you're an unappreciative ass who doesn't deserve the fun that mr frosty makes for everyone"

I felt the same way about the Eazy-Bake oven. Every year I asked for one, and every year my mother told me "but we already HAVE an oven"... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I wanted one (and never got one) too! I also really wanted Baby Born. I remember telling the woman fitting me for school shoes in December one year that Santa was bringing me Baby Born. Never happened.

Best present: My pearls. Got them for my 21st.

Worst: An open tub of Carmex and a mix CD with someone else's name crossed out and mine written in. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

my old man got me a cheapy remote-controlled car for Christmas when I was 15, it stopped working once it got outside a range of 80-100 metres. :(

You think 80 metres is a bad range for a RC car? Jesus, when I was a kid they were wired so had to practically stand over it and the battery life was shorter than Gary Coleman...

...and don't get started on the bit of string I had to carry my school books or my oversized shoes I was apparently going to 'grow' into...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wanted a Golf GTI when I graduated and my parent had the nerve to get me a Polo. Some bullshit excuse about the cost of remortgaging. I reported them to Childline and haven't spoken to them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

My wife bought me a Gretsch hollow body electric guitar for my birthdar recently and its *****ing awesome. By far the best pressie I've ever got.

Cant remember any realy ****ty pressies except fpr the usual socks, jocks or cheap shower gel crap you get at crimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

Don't listen to those people!!! I got Mr. Frosty and it was brilliant!! He really was fun!! Think I might have him stored somewhere...

Best Present: either the bike I got when I was 5 (was so cool!! All pink and white!:D). Or my lap-top.
    Worst present: shower gel from the pound shop. Why could they have given me the euro??

*damn now the Mr Frosty ad music is in my head...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

BlackMamba wrote: »
    damn now the Mr Frosty ad music is in my head...:mad:

you think that's bad, I just found out the truth about mr. frosty, I feel violated :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Worst: A pillow gift
    This is where someone sh1ts on your pillow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Best: A friendship embrace from the tribesmen of the Kwolowi settlement in North Africa

Worst: A death grip by the Warmbini clan warlords of Outer Mongolia

Needless to say i had the entire village napalmed shortly after ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Best: either the Little Mermaid doll I got when I was three or four or the 96 albums somebody dowloaded, burnt to CD and wrote out the track listings for for me a couple of years ago (just for effort that was a great present, though some of the albums were a bit ****).

Worst: When I was 15 my dad got me and my sister tickets to see P!nk. He's normally amazing with presents but he just really badly missed the mark this time and we had to pretend to be all excited :( oh and some strange things from my granny. Obviously used manicure set, thanks. Anne Summers bra that's not my size, wtf Granny.

Can never decide whether this was a great or a crap present: a kilo bucket of peanut butter and a pair of green shoelaces from my housemate last christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 TamNaz

Well, the worst presents were usually the best in a way, as my Dad was a real stinker and probably had 30 joke presents under the tree for my sisters and I every year. Usually, they would be a type of insult from an imaginary sender (giant rubber pacifiers, etc.), although one year we just got shovels and pick axes which he made us use as slave labor around the yard.

Probably the worst one I got was a bar of soap from "The boys at the Y."

For a 13 year-old girl, it was a bit of a burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Best: The A la Carte Kitchen when I was about seven, many many hours of fun were had with that. I have generally received great presents (but I also never got the Mr Frosty and have never recovered!)

Worst: A pair of tights. Cheap ones. Not my size, and not in a colour I would wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Worst: Kris Kindle in work a few years ago ... I got a hands free phone holder for the car (clip into the air vent type thing).
    Trouble was I didnt have a car ... nor could I even drive at the time!

Best: Millennium Falcon ...
    ran down stairs Christmas morning to find that Santa had even put all the stickers on perfectly! Was fantastic. A few years later though I found out that "Santa" had actually bought it 2nd hand off one of the neighbours. Their kid got it the year before, put it all together and then never played with it!

2nd worst ... well it was actually a present my brother got but we all suffered. He got the "Feed The World" single ... which our Dad played over and over again while we were eating Christmas dinner. Nothing to make you feel guilty about wolfing down some turkey and stuffing like hearing a song about all the starving in Ethiopia ... over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Best : A snowboarding holiday in andorra.

Worst : Well actually I have had my fair share of bad presents but mention has to go to the girlfriend. Her and her friends do that Khris Kringle every year so they don't all have to get each other presents so they just get 1 "good" gift to buy each.

Anyway the girlfriend got her present fully wrapped, brought it home and unwrapped it and it was a used monopoly board-game. Apon opening the box she found most of the pieces were missing or damaged. :eek:

I thought it was hilarious, her not so much!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 suzie_q

My best present was my dog a westie about 10 years ago, now one of the family :D
    Worst was a boyzone cd .... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

best: tesco clubcard points

worst: birth. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Best: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Helicopter, that thing was swee-hee-heet

Worst: Little man thingy that sticks to your mirror to hold your toothbrush, razor etc. Kept falling off, worst present EVER

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Best: Mega Drive

Worst: Action Man fake. You know it was fake because he didnt have the fuzzy hair and his hands looked crappy. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Best: never actually ever got a best present, as no-one has ever bought me things I really wanted or liked. Not that I'm hard to buy for, just people never seem to engage the brain when it comes to me.

Worst: Old spice shaving pack .... I mean good god, it's like Napalm!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Best: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Helicopter, that thing was swee-hee-heet

Worst: Little man thingy that sticks to your mirror to hold your toothbrush, razor etc. Kept falling off, worst present EVER

I WANT ONE. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Best: Probably the PS2. Or last year when I got a MicroKorg :)

Worst: A Nintendo Wii. Nobody in the house uses it at all. Or the fuzball table.

Commendable presents: The year I got an MP3 player and the real Ireland rugby jersey. Funking sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

Perhaps that was a bit of an over-estimate. There was a car park about the length of a football field where we used to race 'em and mine would always give up about 1/3 - 1/2 way down.

Well then you should have stood at the halfway mark and you'd have been able to control it all the way up and back then wouldn't you!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

My best present was a half size snooker table that fitted perfectly in the sitting room in the house when I was about 12! It provided about 5 years of entertainment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I got this one mother of an ugly flower bowl from a woman once.
    Don't know what the hell she was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Best: I do believe it was a Barbie camper van as seen and droooled over on the Toy show. Cue " Nintendo 64" like reaction from me!

Worst: Fake Bake gift pack (last year) wouldn't mind but I hate fake tan as a rule!

figs86 wrote: »
    Well then you should have stood at the halfway mark and you'd have been able to control it all the way up and back then wouldn't you!?

Touché. I also would've been sawn in two by the richer boys' speed machines, the ones with smoke coming out the bag an' all! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Best: A pink iPod Mini when I was 16. My dad drove for over two hours to buy it, because the shop he tried first had them, but not in pink! :D

Worst : [I've mentioned this before] A packet of fruity flavour condoms from my mother, last Christmas. I took them out of my stocking in front of my whole family. My mum then shouted "A good present is something you'll use, so that's a very good present" ... :o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Best: Probably got the most use out of my BMX scooter when I got it years ago.

Worst: A jumper from my sister, in her size, and a material she knows I have an allergy to.

Best: A pink iPod Mini when I was 16. My dad drove for over two hours to buy it, because the shop he tried first had them, but not in pink! :D

Worst : [I've mentioned this before] A packet of fruity flavour condoms from my mother, last Christmas. I took them out of my stocking in front of my whole family. My mum then shouted "A good present is something you'll use, so that's a very good present" ... :o:o:o

This is why it's never a good idea to buy presents based on the receiving person's internet history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

best my probably a new bike when i was a kid. it was great.

worst was a robbie williams cd when i was about 21.

I still to this day dont know why my parents thought i liked robbie williams.
    My music is rock and metal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement