Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure relief valve on water heater

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I was asked to look at a electric water heater because the pressure relief valve is leaking drops of water from a short length of 1/2" pipe.

I changed the the valve but am wondering should this pipe be going somewhere ?

It is just open ended at the moment and was dripping onto the ground
    should this pipe be connected to the waste pipes of the sink?

If so, how do connect the 1/2" qualpex to the drain ? what is normal practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Normally the outlet from the pressure relief valve goes outside the the house where it can be seen if there is a drip etc. Usually in a safe location so as not to scald anyone

Those heaters have a 6 bar PRV and some even have 8 bar PRV, the water coming out of the valve could be boiling, they can sit at 82c if set to high in normal operation, so to be honest it doesn't matter where you bring the plastic pipe to, it's going to melt:eek:. If a PRV is leaking it should be looked at as a warning that the heater is not dealing with the pressure it's generating, normally if you replace the valve you wouldn't be dealing with the initially problem, my advise would be to fit any water heater to UK spec which is a lot safer, if you want to use plastic pipe it would have to be the stuff made by hepworth they make plastic pipe that can take the temperature/pressure and they make a device that you can plumb the discharge in to before going in to plastic waste pipe http://hepworth.wavin.com/master/master.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374305495797&middleTemplateName=oc_middle_research. to answer your question you must terminate the pipe work for the heater in a safe place Due to the temperatures and pressure that can be generated, this would be to outside as already advised unless you use the Hepworth adapter, phew... Gary.(can you tell i work a for firm that makes them:D)

Advertisement