Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed...

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

I recently started a job with a big accounting firm, signed a contract and can't leave as I would owe money that I can't afford to pay.

I have always been academically talented at accounting and for that reason decided to go in that direction. I never put that much thought into what it would be like to work at it except that I would be able to make a good salary.

However, now I am working, and getting more depressed as the weeks go. I'm getting to the point that I am very close to tears and just trying to make it to 5pm. Adding to this is the fact that it is a very big company and I see more senior people working extremely long hours and hating their jobs..I cant help but think if this will be me (especially seeing as I hate it already!)

I know i'm lucky to have a job in this economic climate but I really want to be doing something more (or in anyway) fulfilling. Is this too much to ask for though? Do anyone like (or at least not hate) their jobs?

Anyone have any words of wisdom for someone who feels very disillusioned and lost!?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There are very few full time office jobs that don't make you feel lost at some point. Believe me I've worked in super-boring and super-exciting jobs but they all boil down to 'out at five'.

Are you having any personal issues that may be contributing to thus ennui?

The answer is possibly to seek fulfillment outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you able to make a list of what specifically you hate about it? Is it the actual accounting tasks required? Or the office politics? (You'll get politics in any job). Or having to sit at a desk with no one to talk to for 8 hours a day? (You need to change the type of firm you work for). Or ????

How do you know that the more senior people hate their jobs? Could you be projecting your own reactions on to them?

Do you have a problem with having to work hard? (TBH, if you're leaving the office in a big-five company at 5pm, something very odd is going on .)

What out-of-work interests do you have?

Do you have a good relationship with a GP? If you're in tears every day, I'd say that a doctor's appointment would be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, I would give it a bit longer. Accounting is a good qualification to have, even if you never pick up a calculator again in your life.

But if you really don't like it, and have some job to go to, find a way to get out. It is possible! For one thing, if they have to make cuts or redundancies, they might rather forfeit some training fees from you, rather than firing someone else who wanted to hang on to their job. Also, they will work out a payment plan or financing scheme to allow you to pay off the debt over a period. They're accountants. That's what they're supposed to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rhubarbjam

Hi,
    I really feel for you! I've just posted a vaguely similar thread. Is it the environment or the actual work that makes you feel depressed?

Advertisement