Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Aherne book signing in Kilkenny

Options
  • 01-12-2009 12:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭

"Bonfire of the Vanities" 2
    Words fail me to describe this farce

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Please go to Bertie's book signing and tell him what you think of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Nothing but a smugg bastard that raeped the country for everything he could, got out at the right time so he can in the future say " Sher the country was in great nick when I was [strikethrough] a developer [/strikethrough] running it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think his book is totally misunderstood. I mean the other day I was down in the book centre and they had him in the non fiction section, come on, give the struggling writer a break.
    Anyway I did him a favor and moved a copy of his book up where it belongs, no 1 in the fiction section.

i heard his follow up is called "P.S. I owe you!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

Fairytales or Fantasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Ugh. Now I'm no fan of the current government but Bertie and his denial/delusion about the whole thing really gets my goat. :mad:

Of course, making up stories run in the Ahern family..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Of course, making up stupid stories run in the Ahern family
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Don't forget to bring some eggs to throw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Whens this robbing fcuker in kilkenny?? Ive a few questions for him.

Whens this robbing fcuker in kilkenny?? Ive a few questions for him.
    Too late Elvis has left the building!!! People queued for an hour- tis too fantastic!
    the usual lets all s***t green howyas were of course there wuuhuuuuuuu!

Sycophant (from the Greek συκοφάντης sykophántēs) is a servile person who, acting in his or her own self-interest, attempts to win favor by flattering one or more influential persons, or by saying lies against a fellow citizen for gaining a kind of profit. These actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

t63m wrote: »
    Too late Elvis has left the building!!! People queued for an hour- tis too fantastic!
    the usual lets all s***t green howyas were of course there wuuhuuuuuuu!

Sycophant (from the Greek συκοφάντης sykophántēs) is a servile person who, acting in his or her own self-interest, attempts to win favor by flattering one or more influential persons, or by saying lies against a fellow citizen for gaining a kind of profit. These actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect.

did anyone confront him or how did it go down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kdfw

Bertie's biggest mistake was that he was much too generous to the pensioners, social welfare, teachers, civil service etc. etc. etc. all those who have very short memories and who are first to complain now !!!

To be fair to him he presided over a million jobs being created, peace in the North etc. etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

peace in the north? changed his name to 'reynolds', 'adams' or 'hume' as well has he?

I remember bombs going off when Reynolds was there as well as when Hume was there

he also presided over pulling the wool over the eyes of a lot of fools who kept voting for him, never mind Nice I and II and encouraging short term emplyment with large overseas companies rather than stimulating home grown Irish industries that wouldnt have fecked off to the cheaper countries (thanks to Nice I and II) when the going got tough.

That was a long sentence.

kdfw wrote: »
    I remember bombs going off when Reynolds was there as well as when Hume was there

so bertie waddles in when the deals are almost done and you reckon he sorted it all? the GFA took well over 10 years to get sorted. He's as bad as John Major in reckoning he done the whoel thing himself. Pity no-one remembers how Hume got scalded in the press in the 80s for even talking to adams in the first place (which is where the whole thing started). Dont want to take this off topic, but really - Bertie didnt sort out peace in the north. thats bullsh!t.

I would disagree with you about the multinationals. When a multinational sets up in Ireland they transfer alot of valuable expertise to locals. Alot of the home grown industries you refer to are actually started by people who have gained their experience in these multinationals especially in the ITC and medical devices industries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tinkerbell88

iamhunted wrote: »
    he also presided over pulling the wool over the eyes of a lot of fools who kept voting for him, never mind Nice I and II and encouraging short term emplyment with large overseas companies rather than stimulating home grown Irish industries that wouldnt have fecked off to the cheaper countries (thanks to Nice I and II) when the going got tough.

That was a long sentence.

Very well said.

I would disagree with you about the multinationals. When a multinational sets up in Ireland they transfer alot of valuable expertise to locals. Alot of the home grown industries you refer to are actually started by people who have gained their experience in these multinationals especially in the ITC and medical devices industries

When you tak into consideration the tax breaks and balance that against the short-term profits to society it's not such a great deal. Where are they now I ask you ..... in eastern europe thats where. PLus you are making the assumption knowledge is only learned by companies moving to ireland rather than irish people working abroad and bringing that knowledge back.

I'm not saying Bertie was the only one to contribute to the peace process, but to be fair any unbiased impartial person would give credit where it is due

i wouldnt give him any tbh. Its the same as everything he done - all for his own glory - and sod the average working gimp.

• Advertisement

You will always get companies that will move to lower cost countries, but that doesn't mean you should turn your back on all multinationals. Many of them have been here for 20 or 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

Multi-nationals may serve thier own agendas but they are the only ones at this time who have the capacity to get people back in employment and help greatly to our flagging economy. So I wouldn't be slagging them off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

iamhunted wrote: »
    so bertie waddles in when the deals are almost done and you reckon he sorted it all? the GFA took well over 10 years to get sorted. He's as bad as John Major in reckoning he done the whoel thing himself. Pity no-one remembers how Hume got scalded in the press in the 80s for even talking to adams in the first place (which is where the whole thing started). Dont want to take this off topic, but really - Bertie didnt sort out peace in the north. thats bullsh!t.

Hear hear. Virtually all credit for the peace process goes to John Hume with an homourable mention for George Mitchell. Ahern happened to be Taoiseach at the time the deal was signed. He did nothing other than what he was well paid to do. He contributed nothing that made a blind bit of difference to the outcome.

The man is a bloody disgrace in my opinion. Roll on the Mahon tribunal report and to hell with him and the money he won on the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

kdfw wrote: »

Yeah ... and Ahern was Taoiseach when the Omagh bomb went off so what point are you trying to make?

My Story
    By Bertie Aherne

Once upon a time in an ungrateful land lived a

t63m wrote: »
    My Story
    By Bertie Aherne

Once upon a time in an ungrateful land lived a
    an Ogra -geddit! Come on more please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Two words: Property bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Just looked at the Kilkenny People seemed an awful lot of people were at his book singning and the reporter must be a Fianna Fail supporter.

Well said. At least there is someone else on this thread who understands economics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Firetrap wrote: »
    Two words: Property bubble.
    Then there was the sequel, what happened when the bubble burst; "NAMA Bailout". In both stories, the taxpayer gets screwed.
    The gurrier was in the right place at the right time and the only smart thing he did was to get out in time.

Folks he was leader of a government that did nothing to stop predatory lenders from signing up people to lifetimes of personal debt. They did nothing to stop the gazzumping by developers in the heady days of the bubble.

And now those same lenders are been bailed out by the taxpayer and still absolutely no one has been held accountable (fired without entitlements).

If he really was patriotic he would at the very least abandoned the populist agenda coming up to the last election and promised to correct light touch (no touch) regulation on lending. He didn't because he's vain and doesn't like being unpopular. As far as he's concerned anyone critical of his living on credit economic model should go kill themselves for being so negative.

"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something" Bertie Ahern, 4/7/2007

How many will thank him for the opportunity to overpay on their homes and then face rising taxes to bail out the ones that engineered the bubble prices. After food, shelter is most important for sustainable society, him and his friends turned it into a game that one way or another all of society will have to pay a price for. Thanks for a futu

The reign of Bertram Ahern will be known as a vacuum of leadership. Instead of capitalising upon the gains made up to 2001, this country was turned over to gamblers and now the current government are doing everything in their power through NAMA to keep the gambling on property going.

The people kept voting for ice cream, Bertie let them have as much as they wanted, now the nation has the trots and Bertie says is all Lehman Brothers fault. He may as well blame Ben & Jerry, but he neglected his duty of leadership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement