Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie Aherne book signing in Kilkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

well said!

kdfw wrote: »
    Well said. At least there is someone else on this thread who understands economics
    On what emperical basis do you make this claim of intellectual superiority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Firetrap wrote: »
    Two words: Property bubble.
    three words - who encouraged that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Multi-nationals may serve thier own agendas but they are the only ones at this time who have the capacity to get people back in employment and help greatly to our flagging economy. So I wouldn't be slagging them off too much.

Thats not the point I was raising. int he mid 90s the government should have been encouraging Irish people to run their own businesses - which they werent doing. they were handing out enterprise grants to keep people off the dole rather than to start and sustain a business. They were, on the other hand, encouraging multimationals to come over - with lots of tax incentives - and employ people on the short term. If you believe multinationals are going to pop out of the woodwork in this present eonomic climate and save the economy then I really don't know how to break the bad news to you.
    You will always get companies that will move to lower cost countries, but that doesn't mean you should turn your back on all multinationals. Many of them have been here for 20 or 30 years

... and many of those have closed down. It's too expensive to do business in ireland and theres only a trickle of multinationals basing themselves here compared to, say, when Trek got themselves a nice plush business unit in Carlow for 10 years and then left once the tax breaks ran out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kdfw

t63m wrote: »

Emperical ?

QED

• Advertisement

Empirical is the word we use to describe evidence that is capable of being verified or disproved by observation or experiment. As you have no way if establishing the "economic intelligence" of contributors to the post through either means then your point was either shot off in haste without thought or you pretend an intellectual superiority to everybody else
    QED.

I was pointing out that you spelt it incorrectly. Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Forgive me.

I was pointing out that you spelt it incorrectly. Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Forgive me.
    Well aren't you very clever. But unfortunately wrong in fact again The spelling is correct. Try looking up the spelling in a scientific dictionary.-

The word empirical denotes information gained by means of observation, experience, or experiment.[1] A central concept in science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based, that is, dependent on evidence or consequences that are observable by the senses. It is usually differentiated from the philosophic usage of empiricism by the use of the adjective "empirical" or the adverb "empirically." "Empirical" refers to the use of working hypotheses that are testable using observation or experiment. In this sense of the word, scientific statements are subject to and derived from our experiences or observations. Empirical data are data that are produced by experiment or observation.
    Either way people who get their jollies pointing out others spelling mistakes I hold in contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Most disappointed to see Eddie Keher there sucking up to him, I have to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Don't worry Kdfw, at least you didn't say this:
    "In an interview with Kathy Sheridan in Saturday's Irish Times Bertie (for the umpteenth time) pulled the by now familiar FF fib of trying to blame everything on Lehmans.
    He told Kathy that the influence of Lehman's collapse was huge only ended up saying "Lehman's TESTICLES were everywhere""

• Advertisement

Well aren't you very clever. But unfortunately wrong in fact again The spelling is correct. Try looking up the spelling in a scientific dictionary.-

The word empirical denotes information gained by means of observation, experience, or experiment.[1] A central concept in science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based, that is, dependent on evidence or consequences that are observable by the senses. It is usually differentiated from the philosophic usage of empiricism by the use of the adjective "empirical" or the adverb "empirically." "Empirical" refers to the use of working hypotheses that are testable using observation or experiment. In this sense of the word, scientific statements are subject to and derived from our experiences or observations. Empirical data are data that are produced by experiment or observation.
    Either way people who get their jollies pointing out others spelling mistakes I hold in contempt.

I suggest that before you next jump on your intellectual high horse you should try the following

(1) Use a spell checker.
    (2) Make sure your sentences are contextually correct.
    (3) Refrain from using needless flowery English as it may catch you out and/or make you sound like a wannabe toff.
    (4) Hold your hand up and admit if you get something wrong.

Finally take a chill pill and stop blaming Bertie for the hand that life has dealt you.

catbear wrote: »
    Don't worry Kdfw, at least you didn't say this:
    "In an interview with Kathy Sheridan in Saturday's Irish Times Bertie (for the umpteenth time) pulled the by now familiar FF fib of trying to blame everything on Lehmans.
    He told Kathy that the influence of Lehman's collapse was huge only ended up saying "Lehman's TESTICLES were everywhere""

Good one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Finally take a chill pill and stop blaming Bertie for the hand that life has dealt you.

Being rational about it and not wanting to outright demonise the chap but one thing has got us to 400000 unemployed and thats SPECULATION and there is only one man to blame for this. When developers started buying sites in a bog in offaly for 2 million euros we knew things had gone to far with the property boom but Bertie was too busy swimming in Fois Gras and champagne in the FF tent in the Galway races to realise it.

jiggajt wrote: »
    Being rational about it and not wanting to outright demonise the chap but one thing has got us to 400000 unemployed and thats SPECULATION and there is only one man to blame for this. When developers started buying sites in a bog in offaly for 2 million euros we knew things had gone to far with the property boom but Bertie was too busy swimming in Fois Gras and champagne in the FF tent in the Galway races to realise it.

I agree with you about speculation and the contribution it has made to the downturn, but I would not agree with you that this is all down to speculation and one man. I also wouldn't agree that 400,000 unemployed are all related to the property bubble as most developed countries in the world with no property bubbles are also in recession.

I suggest that before you next jump on your intellectual high horse you should try the following

(1) Use a spell checker.
    (3) Refrain from using needless flowery English as it may catch you out and/or make you sound like a wannabe toff.

It must be wonderful to have such a magical insight into the life of a thread contributor. The fact that you have had to resort to a personal offensive attack on me is a clear indication of your character.

Yes but the speculation was driven by a combination of favourable tax breaks afforded to developers, ridiculous re-zoning by the FF government and by the attitude that the good times "will never end." Bertie was at the helm throughout and as such the ultimate responsibility lies with him and history will judge him that way and no ammount of "poor aul me" documentaries will change that.

Also i would say the vast majority of the unemployed in this country were involved directly or indirectly in the building trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

(1) Use a spell checker.

I use the word empirical a lot, why say "I'll believe it when I see it" when instead I can say "empirically"?
    However if you prefer wafflers, then Bertram is the man for one. I believe it was Pat Rabitte who said of him "trying to get an answer out of you is like trying to play handball against a haw-stack".

Enough of this bladder, this country is in serious trouble. Rather than the correction happening suddenly, like it did in Iceland, it's happening over a longer period of thanks to the ECB buying Irish government bonds through our banks.

The people who engineered this crisis are still with us but none have been held accountable.
    I believe Ahern is a total fool, a smarter man would keep his mouth shut rather than vying with Jordan in the Christmas book sales. Pensioners may love him and queue to buy his book, but they're not in over their heads in debt. I know a lot of people who only ever had an X-factor type interest in politics who now say they would love to lynch him. These are the same people who used to say "he's one of us" etc.....
    Ahern should be very afraid of those who feel most betrayed.
    There may be a need for copious (another intellectual word) amounts of chill pills after the Dec. 9 budget.

Finally Kdfw, what do you fear from intellectualism, insight, self awareness or awareness of everything around you?

Before you answer, perhaps it's worth thinking about.

It must be wonderful to have such a magical insight into the life of a thread contributor. The fact that you have had to resort to a personal offensive attack on me is a clear indication of your character.

I apologise. I just found some of your earlier posts towards me a bit condescending and personal also.

I apologise. I just found some of your earlier posts towards me a bit condescending and personal also.
    Your apology for the personal comments is accepted. The qualification you added as a rider at the end is however unwarranted. A study of the thread will show that at no stage was I condescending or personal in my posts. I now consider the matter closed.

Your apology for the personal comments is accepted. The qualification you added as a rider at the end is however unwarranted. A study of the thread will show that at no stage was I condescending or personal in my posts. I now consider the matter closed.

OK man, take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

While I despise where this man has lead the country, back to the same economic basket case of a country where the best oppurtunity for its young are to get on a plane, the entire government, opposition parties , Dept. of Finance , Central bank, regulators are all equally to blame although Bertie was the face and leader for all this.
    But if any crowd of admirers show up it proves we deserve all we get

rasper wrote: »
    While I despise where this man has lead the country, back to the same economic basket case of a country where the best oppurtunity for its young are to get on a plane, the entire government, opposition parties , Dept. of Finance , Central bank, regulators are all equally to blame although Bertie was the face and leader for all this.
    But if any crowd of admirers show up it proves we deserve all we get

Well if you want to have an all-emcompassing blame game lets blame the people who voted them in 4 times in a row and allowed it all to happen.

My sister, being in her 40s used to go on about how bad the 80s was. Now she lives in a million pound house in the Dublin mountains while i face part time employment and emmigration (being in my 20s).

The cab sav swilling bourgeoise 40 and 50 somethings of this country have allowed it (under the directions of muppets like Bertie) to return to the same mess they used to complain about in the 80s while the disenfranchised young people of this country get screwed and do nothing about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

You won't find any arguement from me there , however the sad fact is the reason FF got in again and again is due to the very poor alternative, FG/Lab will do the same again and seeing it was there job to oppose the governmment , well they didn't do a good job there.
    Only about 30% of the registered voters who bother their arse(approx 66%) to vote supported FF, some of these are corrupt, some are blind sheep ,some see no alternative, some may actually believe in FF mantra, which is worse I don't know

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

<Snip>
    seems fair

Good bye.

Okay folks...
    1) This is not the politics forum,
    2) This thread is no longer relevant,
    3) People need to grow up and stop correcting each others spelling mistakes,
    4) People need to grow up full stop,
    5) This thread is being closed as of......

Now.

Topic Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement