Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti British senitiments exposed on The Apprentice

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

asdasd wrote: »
    As for the treatment of other non-British, do look up the British Empire. It was an aknowledged racists empire running part of the world because the natives couldnt -i.e. India, Kenya, South Africa, half the middle east etc.

They still can't. Oh, and kindly add Ireland to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

The no Irish, dogs etc. signs which were sometimes seen in 1950s and '60s London have to be seen in historical context. At the time, much of the accommodation available in areas where the Irish gathered in large numbers (Camden Town, Cricklewood etc) consisted of rooms being let in their own homes by single, often elderly women, who had been widowed in the First or Second World Wars. The British social welfare was much less developed at the time and these women needed the income just to survive and keep a roof over their heads. The Irish who moved to these areas at the time were mostly single men from rural Ireland working on building sites. They were notorious hard drinkers (often due to desperate loneliness), spending their wages in the pub 7-nights-a-week before tumbling back to their lodgings in a desperate state. They were also known as the Fighting Irish for a fairly obvious reason. Of course not all the Irish in London were like this, but the reputation soon spread. Can you really blame an old woman living on her own for not wanting to lie in bed waiting for pissed Paddy to tumble through the door ever night?

Of course in these modern times she could have been much more discrete and used the words "professionals only" which seem to appear in a lot of modern rental ads - really just code for "no working class riff-raff".
    you mean like that notiice i have seen in the shop window last year in dublin ,must speak perfect english,[to rent a room ?]

getz wrote: »
    you mean like that notiice i have seen in the shop window last year in dublin ,must speak perfect english,[to rent a room ?]

Classic of its kind. Of course discrimination can take many forms. When I first moved up to Dublin, many years ago, the first question my potential landlady asked me was whether I was from Dublin - she didn't take Dubs, too much trouble - culchies and foreigners only need apply. The second question she asked was whether or not I was a bedwetter (I'm not making this up). I lied and got the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Classic of its kind. Of course discrimination can take many forms. When I first moved up to Dublin, many years ago, the first question my potential landlady asked me was whether I was from Dublin - she didn't take Dubs, too much trouble - culchies and foreigners only need apply. The second question she asked was whether or not I was a bedwetter (I'm not making this up). I lied and got the gaff.

You are a bed wetter :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

if im not mistaken, the man from applebys said said that he wanted an irish voice to show the irishness of the company, imo its in relation to the whole buy irish thing going on at the mo not racism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

How did this get 5 pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

People took the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hook, line and sinker.

Elmo wrote: »
    You are a bed wetter :eek:
    Yes. but I'm from down the country. The bitch will still give me her bedsit.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

Anti British senitiments exposed on The Apprentice:eek:

some people are now just lookin for something to complain about!:cool:

political correctness gone nuts:confused:

sparkling sea get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Anti British senitiments exposed on The Apprentice:eek:

some people are now just lookin for something to complain about!:cool:

political correctness gone nuts:confused:

sparkling sea get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Says the person posting on something they think is stupid. Try taking your own advice.

The debate factor is gone - long live the art of debate

• Registered Users Posts: 40 contraflow

definetly anyway the british are a better people than irish no matter how irish might think otherwise. irish people can't handle foreigners who have been here for a few years, british have been dealing with irish and other foreigners for centuries.

Yes the British are certainly better than the Irish, the "NO DOGS, NO BLACKS, NO IRISH" signs in British cities in the fifties are a clear example of their inherent talent for mutli-culturalism. Indeed the fifties were mere decades ago so having dealt with foreigners for centuries by then, the British had well and truly figured out the whole multi-cultural racial minefield, decades before we would even wrestle with it. Fair play to them... shame on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

The op sounds like a politacaly correct fanatic....People like this infuriate WHAT THE FUC-K IS WRONG WITH YE? yer just a bunch of little do good-ers who just want to irng up Joe duffy every chance ye get and cause a little bit of a stir in yer own BORING,dull unfulfiling life.... You people drive me f-ing crazy AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RANT OVER .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 contraflow

asdasd wrote: »
    Or not. given that there are very few nigerians on Irish telly, and few Irish people on Nigerian telly, that too is probably just localisation.
    Yes but the same can't be said for British television or radio. Although I do agree their are very few people from any other countries on Irish tv or radio.
    Definitely no major stars like Terry Wogan or Des Lynam or even Jedward

You are comparing entertainment stars to an advertising practice, how many UK adverts feature Irish accents?? None.. I don't have the research but when in the UK I have yet to hear an Irish accent in an advert on TV or Radio other than an advert for an Irish comedian.

An Irish company wanting an Irish accent in their radio advert is no more racism than a UK company wanting a British accent in their advertising, which they clearly do.

Are you going to complain about the UK Apprentice and their treatment of the Irish accent on their show? Or at least give us a comment about it, having lectured us about our racism and how we could learn from the British sensitivity to racism. Please bear in mind their was no advertising element to the UK Apprentice's incident just a forthright expression of dislike/disgust for an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think this thread has gone far enough.

The troll rubs its belly and smiles, for the troll has been well fed.
    The troll will have to go elsewhere for its next feed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement