Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice desperately needed!

• 01-12-2009 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Trying to decide between 4 phones: LG KS360, Samsung S3500, Nokia 6303 & Samsung Tocco Lite. I've been advised to get the Tocco but I'm not very keen on the touchscreen, would it really be that much better than the others? In particular I'd like to know if there's much difference between 3.2 MP camera and 2MP? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Gaeilgeoir wrote: »
    Trying to decide between 4 phones: LG KS360, Samsung S3500, Nokia 6303 & Samsung Tocco Lite. I've been advised to get the Tocco but I'm not very keen on the touchscreen, would it really be that much better than the others? In particular I'd like to know if there's much difference between 3.2 MP camera and 2MP? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

KS360 - For Kids and very complicated.

S3500 - Slow and Clunky

6303 - Great phone

Tocco Lite - Great phone

Tocco lite is our highest selling phone of the year and it's only been out for 5 months or so. The disadvantage of a touch phone, mainly, you can't text and walk that easily, or text 'blind.'

3.2 mp's are better if you're printing or posting the images, but on a large screen you wouldn't notice the difference.

I'd recommend the Tocco Lite highly, especially as the CPW Xmas specials mean you get the phone, a 4gb memory card and the insurance for about e165 or that. (Without the insurance, it's about e114, but on a touchscreen I'd always reccomend the insurance.)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

My problem with the Tocco is that I find the touchscreen a bit awkward. I tried it out in the shop and wasn't too keen on the phonebook or the messaging. That's why I thought the LG might suit me better as you get the big screen & can avoid using the touchscreen most of the time.

I've also heard dodgy reviews of the Tocco camera so I'm not sure it'd have much advantage over the LG in that regard.

Have you heard much about the quality of the cameras? I'd mostly like to have them up on the computer I suppose.

Thanks!

My problem with the Tocco is that I find the touchscreen a bit awkward. I tried it out in the shop and wasn't too keen on the phonebook or the messaging. That's why I thought the LG might suit me better as you get the big screen & can avoid using the touchscreen most of the time.

I've also heard dodgy reviews of the Tocco camera so I'm not sure it'd have much advantage over the LG in that regard.

Have you heard much about the quality of the cameras? I'd mostly like to have them up on the computer I suppose.

Thanks!

Having sold alot of both phones, I'd still say the Samsung over the LG any day of the week. You get used to the touch screen very quickly, and the LG haven't got the greatest track record for reliability.

The Tocco Lite has sold like hot cakes for the last 5 months and the return/ repair rate is very small.

I say, come in to a CPW near you and get this bad boy when it arrives in, hopefully, this weekend.

samsung-b3410.jpg

The Ping Touch, seems to fit you're needs.

It'll be e129.99 and available on o2 Pre Pay.

Yup I saw that one alright but I'm looking to stay with Meteor I'm afraid! Meteor seem to be cheaper in general & I'm fond of the freee voicemail.

I have to say the touchscreens seem a bit fragile to me. I don't really want to need insurance for my phone, have you heard of the Tocco's breaking often? I've heard it starts freezing and can cut off calls. Camera rumoured to be a bit dodgy too.

Have you heard bad things about the KS360 in particular?

Yup I saw that one alright but I'm looking to stay with Meteor I'm afraid! Meteor seem to be cheaper in general & I'm fond of the freee voicemail.

I have to say the touchscreens seem a bit fragile to me. I don't really want to need insurance for my phone, have you heard of the Tocco's breaking often? I've heard it starts freezing and can cut off calls. Camera rumoured to be a bit dodgy too.

Have you heard bad things about the KS360 in particular?

There has never been a Tocco Lite returned to me with a dodgy camera. All phones are easily broken, but it's just easier with touchscreen phones, because, they are 50% screen.

The KS360 is far more likely to cause you trouble, but that's me humble, yet still professional opinion.

ALSO, going by your name, the Irish language feature on the Tocco Lite might suit you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nokia 6303 is the best of those phones, Tocco Lite is still pretty new, It'll be intresting to see how many actually stand up to 12mts wear & tear.

RRP of the Tocco Lite & 6303 is 99.99, the 6303 comes with a free one 1GB memory card so no need to be shelling out extra to craphone. Loads of other shops stock meteor, carphones return policy is iffy at best avoid them if possible.

KS360 is really buggy, freezing, switching it self on and off, avoid if you can. Nokia has a 2 year warranty.

You're right, I am quite keen on the Irish language feature! Would you say the screen would be ok as long as I keep it in a case & never drop it?

I don't doubt your professional opinion as it's the same opinion I've heard in every shop. I suppose I'm just wary of the touchscreen as I've had a very basic Nokia for 5 and half years. Never had a problem with it & have dropped it a few times with no damage! The Tocco sounds a bit fragile : )

How does the Nokia 6303 compare to the Tocco?

Carphones return policy is iffy at best avoid them if possible.

It's the exact same policy as the rest of the network stores...

And a one gig memory card is inconsequential these days. 4gb for e15 is pretty awesome if you're not going to buy it online.

(I'm not being a company cheerleader, I'm just saying.)

You're right, I am quite keen on the Irish language feature! Would you say the screen would be ok as long as I keep it in a case & never drop it?

I don't doubt your professional opinion as it's the same opinion I've heard in every shop. I suppose I'm just wary of the touchscreen as I've had a very basic Nokia for 5 and half years. Never had a problem with it & have dropped it a few times with no damage! The Tocco sounds a bit fragile : )

How does the Nokia 6303 compare to the Tocco?

Spec Wise, essentially, the exact same.

The 6303 will withstand some damage, more so than the Tocco Lite, it's all down to personal preference. Flip a coin, that's how I ended up with an iPhone instead of an N97.

So is the Samsug S3500 just completely useless then? I wanted to get a slider or a flip phone (being a girl I'm afraid I'm stereotypically influenced by aesthetics!) and it seemed the best for less than €120. From what I've read it has a good camera and gets good reviews.

I suppose I use webtext a lot and I'm mostly looking for a decent camera phone on a budget. I'm avoiding the traditional models as I'm looking for a decent sized screen. The 6303 does seem a bit bigger than average at least.

• Advertisement

So is the Samsug S3500 just completely useless then? I wanted to get a slider or a flip phone (being a girl I'm afraid I'm stereotypically influenced by aesthetics!) and it seemed the best for less than €120. From what I've read it has a good camera and gets good reviews.

I suppose I use webtext a lot and I'm mostly looking for a decent camera phone on a budget. I'm avoiding the traditional models as I'm looking for a decent sized screen. The 6303 does seem a bit bigger than average at least.

The s3500 never sold that well to be honest, and when I played about with one I wasn't impressed.

The screen quality of the 6303 is actually very good, as is the zoom on the camera.

I guess the best thing to do is probably to go and try them out in the shops. I've tried the Tocco and the LG but haven't looked at the Nokia because I didn't really fancy the look of it. Guess I shoud try forget about aesthetics!

Have you seen what the picture quality is like on the Tocco? I've heard it's a bit blurry and bad in sunlight

wanted to get a slider or a flip phone

this should be out soon if you want a slider http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-6760-slide it's also got 3G so the internet would be a lot quicker for your than the other phones you picked if your in a meteor 3G area, nokia are reliable, that's what sets them apart from the competition. For a true camera phone you'd want to up your budget to about 150 for the Sony C902

Looks like a cool phone alright, any idea when Meteor might be selling it?

Never mind, out of my price range!

no idea, but today's the 1st of December, when and if they do come out it'll be a sell out i'd say, ask in a meteor store or stockist tomorrow they should be able to tell you.

Way outside my budget of €120 unfortunately!

Advertisement